Umodel Video Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddychan

hello 405th members,

thank god the forum is up... for now...

anyways I've been having trouble trying to extract textures from UModel (also called Unreal model Viewer) link to Umodel page

I followed a tutorial that has you use batch files to extract the models and such, and I can extract the models, but the textures end up being tiny pixelated pictures.

I read in another topic on gildor's forum that you need the .blk file as well as the .bsm file, but I couldnt understand it well enough.

if anyone could make a video or a visual tutorial, it would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------

EDIT: Heres how to extract models:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I can't seem to get any videos of me doing it, so I'll do it step by step, exactly the way I do it.

I made a folder in C:\ (so I could access it quickly) called TMP, so the 'directory' is C:\TMP. Whenever I talk about 'in the directory' shove it in this folder.

This folder will contain everything ripped, to be ripped, and the ripping tools.

I made two .bat files. One called 'bUmodel.bat', and the text inside, is:
Code:
@ECHO OFF

cls

for /f %%a IN ('dir /b *.xxx *.upk *.ukx *.bsm *.blk') do call runner.bat %%~na %%~xa
Save it to the TMP folder. A second file, called 'runner.bat' was made, with the text:
Code:
@ECHO OFF

umodel -export %1%2

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 1000 > nul

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n %1% -w 1000> nul

del %1%2

Also save to the same directory.

I then go to my Bioshock or Bioshock 2 directory, and find the folders named 'BulkContent' and 'Maps', as these contain the .blk and .bsm files required. Copy across, from the Bioshock directory, into the TMP folder, the .bsm file for the area you're interested in (or do all of them for the sake of it), and also the .blk files.

Then, double click on the bUmodel.bat file, and it should run, and you'll see lots of text appearing in the new cmd window, for the files being ripped. You'll then obtain new folders in the TMP directory, one for each .bsm file. These'll contain the skeletal models, textures and static meshes you'll need.

I'll try the video recording again, once my exams are over.

CaptainImpactor said:
Right, I can't seem to get any videos of me doing it, so I'll do it step by step, exactly the way I do it.

I made a folder in C:\ (so I could access it quickly) called TMP, so the 'directory' is C:\TMP. Whenever I talk about 'in the directory' shove it in this folder.

This folder will contain everything ripped, to be ripped, and the ripping tools.

I made two .bat files. One called 'bUmodel.bat', and the text inside, is:
Code:
@ECHO OFF

cls

for /f %%a IN ('dir /b *.xxx *.upk *.ukx *.bsm *.blk') do call runner.bat %%~na %%~xa
Save it to the TMP folder. A second file, called 'runner.bat' was made, with the text:
Code:
@ECHO OFF

umodel -export %1%2

del %1%2

Also save to the same directory.

I then go to my Bioshock or Bioshock 2 directory, and find the folders named 'BulkContent' and 'Maps', as these contain the .blk and .bsm files required. Copy across, from the Bioshock directory, into the TMP folder, the .bsm file for the area you're interested in (or do all of them for the sake of it), and also the .blk files.

Then, double click on the bUmodel.bat file, and it should run, and you'll see lots of text appearing in the new cmd window, for the files being ripped. You'll then obtain new folders in the TMP directory, one for each .bsm file. These'll contain the skeletal models, textures and static meshes you'll need.

I'll try the video recording again, once my exams are over.

thanks, my batch files are exactly the same and my directory is C:\Umodel, and Ive put a .bsm file and a .blk file into c:\Umodel then clicked bUmodel to make it run, but the textures never come out right... the models or static meshes (I know, same thing) come out right, but the textures are messed up...

EDIT: I just tried it and put BOTH .bsm files into c:\umodel and the .blk file.

Some images/textures showed up right, such as the flashback images... but some of the textures still show up as tiny pixelated images...

Jeddychan said:
thanks, my batch files are exactly the same and my directory is C:\Umodel, and Ive put a .bsm file and a .blk file into c:\Umodel then clicked bUmodel to make it run, but the textures never come out right... the models or static meshes (I know, same thing) come out right, but the textures are messed up...

EDIT: I just tried it and put BOTH .bsm files into c:\umodel and the .blk file.

Some images/textures showed up right, such as the flashback images... but some of the textures still show up as tiny pixelated images...

The .bsm files contain some information about the textures, but not the in-game textures themselves - these are kept in the .blk files. You may find that you're using the wrong .blk file, and so it doesn't give the large texture, just the 'preview texture'. Have you tried having all the .blk files in the directory, at once?

CaptainImpactor said:
The .bsm files contain some information about the textures, but not the in-game textures themselves - these are kept in the .blk files. You may find that you're using the wrong .blk file, and so it doesn't give the large texture, just the 'preview texture'. Have you tried having all the .blk files in the directory, at once?

Heres what I meant about some images being fine and some being messed up, and Im going to try copying all the .blk files now...

messed up:

SpeedBoost_Plasmid.jpg

normal picture:

IntroSlide1.jpg

EDIT: I solved the problem! you need both .bsm files, the .blk file and the "DynamicBulkFileTextures.blk" file.

thanks for the idea of including everything, it gave me the idea of trying the extra files that were with the .blk files

-

Sorry for the double post, but I am currently uploading videos to youtube showing how to set up umodel, and then how to extract models and textures from bioshock.

Ill post the links once they're uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back