Undersuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

Btw I would have posted this in the Noob section but for some reason it won't let me. Anyways I am making multiple costumes for some Films I am doing and I was wondering what I can do for the undersuits? I am open to purchasing and DIY. I probably would have to do DIY since purchasing is always expensive. So what is an none complex way to make a detailed undersuit that can last through stunts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You cant post in the noob forum because you are an infantryman. And i am still looking into how to make a good undersuit

Do you know which Halo game you are making your costumes from?
Halo 3 and Reach are alot easier to make than Halo 4.
Most people tend to use foam for undersuits, or otherwise sew leather like materials.

When I did my recent Halo 4 one, I used a combination of grip liner, yoga mats, and eva foam and sewed them onto a morphsuit.
In my thread you can see how it turned out (I need to at some point make another one thats a little bit bigger).
So far it is holding together very well, but I can hardly lean over (due to me making it a bit small).

If you want have a go at some Halo 4 armour, you are most welcome to use / modify my undersuit design (In the link below).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_-2m6wM-KHJacumdTfC1c4YVq7KmN5yslx5_iW4SXys/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck on your builds, hope to see some pics soon :)

There is no specific undersuit I am doing. I'm fine with anything execpt Halo 4....... I hate Halo 4 armour. They over doused on geometry. There is 1 helmet I love from the game and that's the one you made, the Pathfinder. Also i don't want to make an undersuit where my body can't breath. E.g Latex and others. I just don't want to baked in it and have to add a cooling system.

It would actually help to know what costumes you're planning on building. What a spartan wears under his armor is vastly different than what an ODST or marine wears under their armor.

For an ODST, a simple black combat set would work (combat shirt and BDU pants). For a Halo 3 marine, an Army Combat Uniform (ACU) in UCP is close, but the Airman Battle Uniform (ABU) pattern is much closer to what appears in-game. Halo Reach, Halo 2 and Halo CE marines and troopers wear solid color uniforms under their armor; look at Ranger Green or Khaki combat sets depending on the character.

Spartans' undersuits are obviously more specific. The thing to remember about these costumes is that they're just that, costumes. Unless you plan on filming a spartan in nothing but the undersuit, you don't need to construct the entire undersuit as it would be worn by a "real" spartan; only the parts of the undersuit that will be seen. If you take a look at my Halo 3 Mk VI build (link in signature), you will see that my undersuit is little more than a leather neck seal, and a stomach wrap with bicep covers made from vinyl (which appears as leather). The remainder of what I wear under my armor is compression pants and a work-out shirt; both of which breathe very well and help keep me cool.

Get creative and figure out what would work best for you.

Yes the actors will be seen without their armour on. I'm not 100% replicating Spartans undersuits, I'm just trying to do something similar. A plain undersuit doesn't look so good so I thought I could add some detail. Witch is why I am here.

I see. Then keep in mind that the only spartan undersuit that has been seen on its own (without any armor covering it) is the Halo 4 armor, which I understand isn't want you want to build. Every other undersuit up to that has not been seen in its entirety. What happens under the armor is artistic license. So, it's up to you what it looks like.

There have been a few really decent Halo Reach undersuit builds, though they're all female. The two members that come to mind are LilTyrant and RoxyRoo (respective links follow)...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35790-KAT-ARMOR-BUILD-with-custom-undersuit

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34127-RoxyRoo-s-Reach-Build-Undersuit

You'll have to search around a bit to find anything from Halo 3 or male Reach spartans, but this should give you a few ideas to start with.

Edit: Another thing to consider is creating separate undersuits for different situations. A production studio will usually make a few different costumes based on what will need to be done in the costumes. They will create a highly detailed costume for the close-up shots, and a stunt costume for parts of the film with more action, where mobility is needed. So, you may be able to create a highly detailed undersuit for when the actors are portrayed out of their armor, and only portions of the undersuit for then they're portrayed in their armor. This has the added benefit of making it easier to get into and out of the armor.

Yes the actors will be seen without their armour on. I'm not 100% replicating Spartans undersuits, I'm just trying to do something similar. A plain undersuit doesn't look so good so I thought I could add some detail. Witch is why I am here.

Hmmm.......dang. Well, if the actors will be seen without the armor on, sounds like you need full body coverage. Uh, maybe you will need to start with a full bodysuit. I think the one I am thinking about is a lycra bodysuit? Not sure, but something like that. From there, you will probably have to have the actors wear them while someone draws on the bodysuit to show where additional detail is going to go. Then you might have to draw up some templates and create the extra detail pieces you want out of some sort of breathable material. Just something that will help to give the desired look you want. It might have to be sewn on because I don't think glueing will work out since you wouldn't want it to fall apart when the actors are moving around in them. XD

That's about the best advice I can give right now. Hopefully you were able to understand what I am talking about. XD :p lol

Yes I did understand what you were saying. I thought about what Carpathia said about only having the undersuit parts were you can see the person. e.g knees, neck, stomach ect. So if a full undersuit doesn't work. I can probably just do parts.

I think the real challenge for an undersuit is that your skin needs to be able to breathe. I have like zero sewing skills. And the only seamstress I know is a lazy butt!
Yes I did understand what you were saying. I thought about what Carpathia said about only having the undersuit parts were you can see the person. e.g knees, neck, stomach ect. So if a full undersuit doesn't work. I can probably just do parts.

I think the real challenge for an undersuit is that your skin needs to be able to breathe.

That actually depends on how much the actors are willing to go through. Many movies featuring high tech looking suits are designed for aesthetics rather than function/comfort. The actors may sweat profusely while wearing the suits and they can be difficult to get into and out of; but they look great on screen.

I found a set of Amazon Gear that is VERY similar to the Halo 4 Actual Undersuit. Typically I Wear an underlayer consisting of a black Columbia Omni-Freeze Zero Long Sleeve Shirt. On top of that, I'll wear This, and it looks strikingly like the H4 Undersuit. (I cut off some of the armor bits in lieu of actual EVA foam Halo Armor, like the arms and elbowpads. For pants, I wear a Pair of Crash Shorts and use a thin fabric layer to bridge between the thighs and the Shin Plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back