Using Blender to Model/Enhance Models (Or, Get In Here If You Want To Model Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
'lo all.

Now, before I begin: this isn't meant to be a tutorial to supplant THE ONE DONE BY RUNDOWN (< link, for the click-impaired) - instead, this is meant as a semi-comprehensive guide on how to go from scratch to competent in Blender specifically, since quite a few people now have asked me for assistance and guidance. Hopefully, this guide will help teach those interested in modelling the basics they'll need to create models to export to Pepakura, for whatever purpose.

What I don't expect, and I would ask people to refrain from, is debating which programs out there are superior. This is a Blender tutorial, let's keep it focused on Blender, please.

With that main spiel out of the way, let's dive right in.

PART THE FIRST - That Which Concerns The Program

Blender. It's a program that has some people running to the hills, but for me, it's the tried-and-tested program of choice for basic 3D modelling and mesh manipulation. I definitely won't argue that there are more powerful tools out there, especially when you're considering 'industry-standard' programs such as 3DS Max, Maya or C4D - but unfortunately, that sort of power costs money. Serious money, in some cases (a yearly license for 3DS Max will set you back roughly $2,900. Pucker up.) - and I don't advocate finding copies by more 'illicit' means, no matter how expensive these programs are.

Luckily, however, Blender is completely free, and even better: it's open-sourced. It's fully configurable from the ground up, too - for example, if you don't like the default grey theme, you could change it to something a little more colourful. Don't like the hotkeys? There's a tool to change those, too. You can even set Blender to remember how your workspace is laid out, so that when you start a new project, you don't have to waste time re-configuring your workspace to your liking. Better still, it's lightweight, so unless you're running models with tens of thousands of polygons, your old Intel 4 craptop will be able to at least churn out a viable piece - though, naturally, better computers will run the program more smoothly. I recommend at least 2Gb of accessible RAM and a reasonably modern processor. An OpenGL graphics card wouldn't co amiss, either.

You can download Blender from THIS LINK - once you have that down the pipe, we can continue with the next part.

PART THE FIRST, BUT WITH AN EXTRA BIT ADDED - That Which Concerns User Input

Blender is not a laptop friendly application. In order to make full use of the functions it offers, you will need the following without exception:

• A decent mouse with a clickable scroll wheel
  • A keyboard with a Num pad (essential for swapping between views)
  • OPTIONAL: a mouse with thumb buttons (I personally use a Logitech G400 and have Save and Undo mapped to the two thumb buttons)
  • OPTIONAL: multiple monitors. I personally use three monitors, so I have more screen space to work with. More is, well, more, where modelling is concerned - you can spread your work out better and have multiple views open at once.

As I said, laptops need not apply unless you have access to a USB Num pad and an external USB mouse. You simply cannot model in Blender using a trackpad and alt-keys. It can't be done, and believe me, I've tried several times. If anybody wants to ask me how to get it running on a laptop without those accessories, the answer is simply 'don't'. Save yourself the headache.

PART THE SECOND - That Which Concerns Our First Boot Up, or, 'Oh Christ What The Hell Is This?'

firstboot_zps6fd9f1b7.jpg

This is what you can expect to see upon your first boot-up of the program. Looks daunting, right? Don't worry, we'll soon have this all cleaned up and ready to use. The first thing we need to do is remove all the stuff we're not going to need - mainly the bits that concern animation, modifiers and such. This is even before we jump into hotkeys and mesh manipulation, of course; it's essential that you create a workspace that you're comfortable with. And relax, this really isn't heavy stuff we're going into.

removesector1_zps7a39a1e0.jpg

See that red line? Hover your cursor over it. It'll change shape, into a pair of opposing arrows linked by a line. RIGHT-CLICK this line to bring up a little box called 'Area Options'. Since we're not looking to create another area, you'll need to hit 'JOIN AREA'. This will give you a greyed-out area, and an arrow depicting which area you want to get rid of, like so:

removesector3_zps7699eecd.jpg

removesector2_zps552232be.jpg

This should give you a workspace that looks something like this:

removesector4_zps5303bf7f.jpg

Next, we need to remove the stuff from the right of the screen, and free up some space:

removesector5_zps3371ed6e.jpg

And you should be left with something that looks like this:

workspacecleaned_zps36477392.jpg

To maximise your workspace, you can also click-drag away the menu on the left. Notice that when you do so, you'll be given a little '+' symbol at the top-left of your workspace, to recall that panel when we need it - and believe me, we'll need it.

Attachments

• firstboot_zps6fd9f1b7.jpg
    firstboot_zps6fd9f1b7.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 283
  • removesector1_zps7a39a1e0.jpg
    removesector1_zps7a39a1e0.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 278
  • removesector3_zps7699eecd.jpg
    removesector3_zps7699eecd.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 263
  • removesector2_zps552232be.jpg
    removesector2_zps552232be.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 272
  • removesector4_zps5303bf7f.jpg
    removesector4_zps5303bf7f.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 259
  • removesector5_zps3371ed6e.jpg
    removesector5_zps3371ed6e.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 254
  • workspacecleaned_zps36477392.jpg
    workspacecleaned_zps36477392.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 270
[also post reserved, because image limits probably will apply and there will be a great deal of images. Oh yes indeedy]

[also also post reserved, because as well as the images, there will also be gratuitous amounts of cake]

[also also also post reserved, because as well as the cake, there will be party punch. Alcohol-free, educational party punch]

ok I understand that this question is some what advanced, but can you explain Boolean intersect, union and difference and how to apply the modifier please? I have tried to Boolean intersect two shin armor pieces so that one fits inside the other when built and I cant get it to work. blender just keeps telling me modifier is disabled skipping apply. thanks for making this by the way.

Do you know if it's possible to import a pep file into blender in order to modify the 3d model?

ok I understand that this question is some what advanced, but can you explain Boolean intersect, union and difference and how to apply the modifier please? I have tried to Boolean intersect two shin armor pieces so that one fits inside the other when built and I cant get it to work. blender just keeps telling me modifier is disabled skipping apply. thanks for making this by the way.

A Boolean operation has two possible values which are usually true or false. To understand how to apply the Boolean, you'll need to understand "normals". The normals are the inside and outside of the faces. This will determine if you use "Difference" "Union" or "Intersect". In all aspects, the pieces need to be separate and touching.

You will first add the modifier to the first object. Second, choose difference, union, or intersect. Then choose the object you would like to apply your modifier to. In order for it to work, both parts will have to be touching each other. If one part goes in and out in various parts of the other, the effects become unpredictable or invalid.

You may benefit from watching my "3D Printing Armor" tutorial. Using the "Solidify" modifier may help. And if you want the inside shape different, then use the "Difference" Boolean operation after. Alternatively, close the top end and bottom end of the outside object, make sure the inside object passes through it, and apply your appropriate Boolean modifier.

All modifiers must be applied in "Object" mode, they cannot be applied in "Edit" mode.

Do you know if it's possible to import a pep file into blender in order to modify the 3d model?

Yes.

you need pepakura designer to export the pep file in to object format to then import in to blender

No. It's possible, yes, but considered extremely poor form to take models and edit them without asking permission for them first.

Oh, and I'll get back onto this when I'm not so snowed under with commission work and such.

He was asking how it's done so I told him he wasn't asking get about the ethics of doing it

Yeah, I just wanted to know if it was possible. If I want to use something I'll get a hold of the modeler first, and I definitely won't repost it as my own work.

Re: Using Blender to Model/Enhance Models (Or, Get In Here If You Want To Model Stuff

Yes! I've always needed this tutorial. For Modeling helmets!

AND CAKE!?! WITH EDUCATIONAL PARTY BUNCHES!! yesss! it's what I always wanted!
this is gonna be an excellent tutorial "ladies and jellyspoons"(???) whatever that means :D

looking forward to developing additional modeling knowledge!

Re: Using Blender to Model/Enhance Models (Or, Get In Here If You Want To Model Stuff

Yes! I've always needed this tutorial. For Modeling helmets!

AND CAKE!?! WITH EDUCATIONAL PARTY BUNCHES!! yesss! it's what I always wanted!
this is gonna be an excellent tutorial "ladies and jellyspoons"(???) whatever that means :D

looking forward to developing additional modeling knowledge!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to finish this - I'll forgive the necropost for now, but I'm going to lock this until I have the tutorial finished up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back