Using Silver metal powders & clear resin in castings? anyone tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calmasacow

one I get my rifle finished I wanna make a mold of its parts. I have seen a few videos of using using the smooth-on metal powders both mixed in brushed into the mold. My thought is that once it is Painted any scratches will have silver underneath it so it will just look like metal. I was thinking that this would allow for a good deal of abuse without compromising the look of the prop.

Has anyone tried this before. I think thorssoli had done it with some foam M6's but what about Hard Resin? Curious on if it makes things brittle and how does it wear? scratch.

If insight would be great.

thanx in advance.

Yes. its called metal cold-casting. It actually looks like "metal" when you're done.

http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=312

I've created some small jewelry holders using this method (rings, broaches, etc), since I don't have a smelting pot. ^_^
yeah that is where I saw it and got the idea from just curious if anyone here had tried it. and could offer any insight maybe something not obvious from those videos.

Nothing more I can offer. The video pretty much covers everything. No special treatments. Mix your powder well in the resin, pour as you do with normal resin, cure and pop it out of your mold when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back