Vacuum Formin' Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincaliflour

So I made a new spartan suit:
WGW3qgdl.jpg

(pretty sure it's ok to post that since it's been 2 months since they were supposed to announce winners for the chipotle and iheartradio costume contests and never did...)

And to go with this new suit there's a lot of work that needs to be done. In fact, barring the hard plates of the armor itself, pretty much everything needs to be redone, so that's gonna require sewing a custom undersuit.

And, because armor is ball meltingly hot the plan is to sew the undersuit in such a way that it's also a coldsuit. The plan to that end is to make a "padded" muscle suit where the "pads" are actually vacuum formed ice packs that can be slipped in and out, to make up for my lack of a superhuman physique.

In addition to all that, I've made some helmets:
YLCMZUll.jpg

(there are more, these are just the ones I have on me atm)

For myself and friends, that need visors. Which, considering the last time I tried making a visor by hand it turned out like this:
SJ80Bkul.jpg

Means I will be vacuum forming those too. Trouble is, the vacuum former I have access to is way overspecced for the job it's supposed to do, and crushes anything more maleable than hard plaster or wood. So that's gonna take some inventiveness.

While I debated making a bondo pattern using the existing visors I have, the cost has been something that's stopped me. Also, though plaster is dirt cheap, I don't know how I'd get it off the existing patterns I have, and I don't want to have to make a new visor for the several copies I'll require, namely because:

The next step is to take this idea from the old helmets:
srIvzXpl.jpg

And make it actually work this time. So I'm gonna need some duplicates for the inevitable screw ups from airbrushing mistakes and such because my airbrush is...well...crap.

Attachments

• WGW3qgdl.jpg
    WGW3qgdl.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 167
  • YLCMZUll.jpg
    YLCMZUll.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 142
  • SJ80Bkul.jpg
    SJ80Bkul.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 168
  • srIvzXpl.jpg
    srIvzXpl.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 151
Well, have I had a day for y'all.

I got all the patterns ready to vacuum form for the visors and such and then this morning I came downstairs to this:
yT1j0Tkl.jpg

kwZVudFl.jpg

2qoutjjl.jpg

The patterns themselves were dust. Thanks to the dog.

Needless to say I was not happy and this will probably be setting me back a bit. Still super peeved. Good news is that the new laser is almost up and running so hopefully by the time I get some pulls I'll be able to engrave details on them!

Attachments

• kwZVudFl.jpg
    kwZVudFl.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 153
  • yT1j0Tkl.jpg
    yT1j0Tkl.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 2qoutjjl.jpg
    2qoutjjl.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.