Very First marine helmet (also a first pepakura build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkbillie

Well after awhile of figuring out stuff (english to dutch translation....some things are called diffrent)...anyways i tried to make a simple Halo 2 marine helmet

20121217194836.jpg

Now the green one was just a sort of a tester helm to test everything on.

20121224155411.jpg

After the resin and fiberglass

20121225202000.jpg

some sanding and cutting the edges done...its not really that clean but since its not a ''BIG'' project and just for the first time its good enough :p

20130115225432.jpg

after the bondo layer and ALLOT of sanding and filling

now here comes to part where im having a ton of trouble with, ive applied bondo to the whole thing (some say you dont use it as a layer and some say you need to) anyways the problem im having is that i cant smooth the whole thing like i want it to, i keep getting little gaps and cuts (sort of cuts) so im kinda wondering...did i miss something?

All tips/advice are welcome :)

Your helmet is looking good.:D

Tip:
Once you have it to the shape you want start using a finer sand paper. Then all you need is a little spot putty for those pesky lines and pits. On final sanding I use small circular motions to buff it out with a 200-300 grit sand paper. Primer filler will also fill in really small pit's and lines (it's a heavy primer) you do have to sand in between each coat to avoid shrinkage tho. :cool

thanks for the tips

might need some finer sandpaper then, also when i do try to get a smoother layer i use one of those ''sponge'' sanding blocks seems to work pretty good.

I might just do another thin layer of bondo and see how that turns out

Took me awhile to update but here it is =P

Been working on it for a few days now (stopped for a couple weeks cause the whole thing was just pissing me off =P) it seems like the ''filler'' was cracking the primer first i thought it was the dust or something else but after sanding and then cleaning it like a mad man...ye still no luck

So instaid of using a filler i just went back to the bondo and fill the cracks and holes with that, but again luck (or skill) isnt on my side since there are still things on it that just dont belong there (ill post the pics of it later)

So ye, ill just try to sand it down square by square, get an even layer on the whole thing again (basicly starting over) and hopefully ill get a smooth helmet out of it so i can finally start detailing it

So after a long time (a really long time) i finally managed to finish up the helmet, had to reapply a couple layers of bondo and after that the sander broke on me, well sort of its just the paper wouldnt stick anymore.

Then after awhile i just bought a new sander (that was when the weather here became abit better..applying bondo while its cold outside isnt a very smart thing to do as a first timer :p) and then i finished up the helmet, now this isnt as good as everything else ive seen on the forums but its a start.

The only problem i have with the helmet its abit crooked and that the sanding could have been way better to start off with, but with all the things i put on it and what not i just went with it, i could always do some battle damage on the messy parts (just need to look it up on how to do it all i know is that i need to dremel the area and put some silver paint in it)

Anyways..here is the end result

vcaj.jpg

Nice for a first build! lol, I had done a similar simple helmet for my first build too.:D
Looks like your off to a good start, KEEP IT UP!

Thanks :) but now i kinda want a challange so im either gonna do a halo 3 marine helmet with chest, since the halo 2 marine chest is kinda.....well, not much detailing :p or i migh start with a thing i really wanna do and thats an iron man helmet or something else (just need to find what since there is ALLOT of things to craft out there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back