Vincent-716's Recon Helmet - looking a lil' ANOREXIC? Help (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good! The foam method does look a heck of a lot easier. I might try that someday. Too bad Im almost done with the recon pep...

You know, its a good thing you brought up Plasti-Dip, because i was actually going to ask about it.
what exactly is it? ive heard theres 2 versions of it, one being rubbery and another i forgot. i read that its supposed to be used on foam instead of resin. maybe some of my information is wrong. could you clarify?

Plasti-Dip is Plasti-Dip. It is distributed in two different ways though. One is an aerosol can and the other is a liquid dip. They are both the same chemicals but obviously the aerosol can go on in thinner coats. The spray can is a lot more expensive for less product. The liquid dip is pretty thick straight out of the can but it can be thinned out with up to like 15% naptha. It is a good idea to buy an empty paint can and put the liquid dip in that because the container it comes in is not resealable.

Also, beware on Alex Plus, you are not supposed to get it in contact with your skin, so I hope Hyperballistik means using your finger with a glove on. Always read the directions and safety instructions on the back of products. :)

Plasti-Dip is Plasti-Dip. It is distributed in two different ways though. One is an aerosol can and the other is a liquid dip. They are both the same chemicals but obviously the aerosol can go on in thinner coats. The spray can is a lot more expensive for less product. The liquid dip is pretty thick straight out of the can but it can be thinned out with up to like 15% naptha. It is a good idea to buy an empty paint can and put the liquid dip in that because the container it comes in is not resealable.

Also, beware on Alex Plus, you are not supposed to get it in contact with your skin, so I hope Hyperballistik means using your finger with a glove on. Always read the directions and safety instructions on the back of products. :)

Interesting, I'm gunna pick up a can upon completion :D
But quick questionl, does it go on the outside or the inside or both? I did some researching like all evening but it seems people use it on different sections of their armor for different purposes (hand grips, rubbery feel, interior, sealer...)

Interesting, I'm gunna pick up a can upon completion :D
But quick questionl, does it go on the outside or the inside or both?

Well, typically it is used for a sealant on the outside for the paint since it dries as a somewhat flexible, smooth, rubber-like texture. The liquid can be used to fill in larger gaps too. I have seen people use it as a replacement for black paint because of the rubber texture. Unless you were filling the gaps from the back for some reason, I really cannot see a reason to use it on the inside. The look of the interior of the helmet is probably the least important if it is for costume purposes.

Well, typically it is used for a sealant on the outside for the paint since it dries as a somewhat flexible, smooth, rubber-like texture. The liquid can be used to fill in larger gaps too. I have seen people use it as a replacement for black paint because of the rubber texture. Unless you were filling the gaps from the back for some reason, I really cannot see a reason to use it on the inside. The look of the interior of the helmet is probably the least important if it is for costume purposes.

I see, could I still use it for interior? I've read that it gets pretty "steamy" inside of mjolnir :D and I don't really want sweat stains on my foam, not really a good hygienic look when showing off to civilians ;-)

nice work on the foam helmet :) been waiting to see even more people tackle this...keep it up!

Thanks! A foam Recon helmet template should be made for our 405th feppers (foam peppers, making new plingo [pepakura lingo] as i go :D). Im thinking about scanning all the pieces ive used and put them in a single file once im done. it'll be easier than pepakura because the scans can be printed anywhere without the need of the pepakura software pre-downloaded on the desired computer in order to view them. All you would need is carstock and a printer! Is this a good idea?

on progress, didnt get diddly-squat done today. too busy buying freaking birthday presents and waiting for family members with their appointments(shouldve had the WHOLE helmet completed by today) =\ But rest assured, it will be finished ;D

*** new update 10/11/2011***

Still been SUPER busy. I only had time to do a few things to face of the helmet (mouth piece, forehead). i had to reduce some size on the lefttside jawbone of the helmet, when putting the mouth piece on it was starting to go crooked, so it may seem slightly smaller now
im working on the sideburns(?) of the face now, hoping to get the helmet at 89% complete
heres where i am:

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

OH YAH! i forgot to introduce you to Kera-331, i picked her up today at the local beauty supply shop, she's been very helpful :D
IMAG0024.jpg

*** another new update 10/11/2011***

Lol i got the same thing, only it duznt have a face!

lol No face, that means he wants a EVA helmet :D

*****PROGRESS*****

So I finally got the face complete. I had to replace and resize parts but now it looks pretty good on its current state. lol the color organization reminds me of the blue lion on Voltron ;)

Heres where Im at right now:
IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

now a comparison:
IMAG0030.jpg

tell me what you think :D

lol with a gold visor I can totally see it, looks awesome man, crazy seeing people building foam helmets!

Thanks Pipinacan :) it's kinda kewl that you brought that up because I'm going to be using the folder divider method as my visor. I have a folder divider that almost exactly matches the color of visor on the picture of the recon helmet that's shown on the back of the Halo 3: ODST game case. I plan on attaching it on the helmet with Velcro, just in case I want to put on a clear divider or take it off completely for a breather. :D

This looks really good almost better than mine.... I must turn my wip into hyperdrive....

Thanks Cross! Can't wait to see your finished result. Fepping has seem to take over 405th by storm 
I'm in a bit of standhold right now, I'm not sure how to progress. But I'll get to that tomorrow =\

hi guys! my name is Vincent Allen II
im new to 405th.com, but ive been reading ALOT of your forums and post many many months before i started making my helmet. Ive gotten many of ideas and learned alot from Spitfire22V, Blackula727, jtm1997, HaloGoddess, 2StoryProps and other 405th "Power users"(as i call them :$)

So back to my helmet:
well ive semi-Finished the top half of my Recon helmet (Smoothened Recon by Macattack64)
and while reviewing my work, i noticed that its starting to look a little thin, a little anorexic if you will
I looked at 2storyprop's pepped recon helmet and it seems nice and wide (healthy) and then i looked at my half finished helmet and it looks thinner than his, like mine is going inwards
is this normal?

should i stop pepping the top half and try to do the lower half or just continue as normal?
heres a couple of pictures:

SSPX0414.jpg

SSPX0413.jpg

SSPX0412.jpg

tell me what you think
it took me 3 times to get the halo reach helm perfect , then i hardened it it was still goin good then it sunk while doing the fiberglass always 48 hours between steps so now i have alot of work to do whaen i use bondo so it takes practice so keep at it youll get it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back