Visor Frosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chisum

So I overfrosted my visor for the EVA helmet and made it fairly useless, you can only see shadows. I have been using it as only a prop but I wanted to start using it part of my armor. Any suggestions on how to reduce the frosting without ruining the visor or having to start from scratch?
Picture8.jpg

Is there a way to remove the frosting? I'm not familiar with the process. Would using turpentine or other paint thinner remove the frosting. Or perhaps a Goof-Off or Goo-Gone astringent might do the same....Do a test piece...not the actual visor, don't want to ruin that just yet. You'll have to over-frost a separate piece of the visor material (Not sure what you used) and then try to remove it. It may ruin the visibility though. If it's raw untreated plexi-glass, it may absorb some of the astringent and cloud it up. Then it will be just as if you over frosted. At that point , you might have to start from scratch.

Depending on how its been applied, you might consider using a buffing compound.
It shouldn't scratch the visor but it usually makes pretty quick work of any thin paint layer.

Depending on how its been applied, you might consider using a buffing compound.
It shouldn't scratch the visor but it usually makes pretty quick work of any thin paint layer.

That might work as well......something like a Soft Scrub or you could try something that removes scratches from a car's paintwork (there are a ton of products on the market). zachturner009, not sure if Dawn would work....it needs to be somewhat abrasive material to "Scour" the area....Dawn will just clean it.......It will be nice and clean at least.....but I'm afraid the frosting will remain.

Do you know what the paint used was Chisum? If it's a lacquer for plastics it might need something a little stronger to strip the paint.

Yea i think you can use some paint thinner and if its go to transparent, you can add a pice of a knitwear inside. It Will be not to thick to shadow a vision and it youre face Will be hidden as well

I think I am just going to end up refrosting a new visor and trying these ideas on different pieces of it. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back