War Machine Build. Pic Heavy! Updated Pics #27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halo 1

Hey Marines,

Apologies on being away from the 405th] but work has had me busy at the workshop...Anyhow, with all the hype around Iron Man 2 and War Machine, I'd thought I'd post some pics up on a hybrid I'm doing for a local toy store that needs one for their toy launch.

Since it's a one off, I decided to save money and use one of the older Mark 3 suits [the very same ones we sculpted awhiles back] we had lying around that I repainted last year as a simple War Machine display at SGTCC 09, and just modify that to best represent War Machine. I'll be using the helmet as is, with just the new paintjob. Please do keep in mind that it's no way as accurate as the movie version but it'll be close enough, IMHO. :)

Using the orginial chest and shoulder/back pieces, I drew out, cut, and shaped PVC hardfoam card to 'recreate' the high mech like shoulders. Layering it with foam for lightness, it was then coated with resin to allow to sand and shape to fit. Mounting it onto the back piece, it was then cemented down, and the spacing filled with more resin to hold into place. Once dry, it was resanded down and painted. Detailed panels were also cut, dremeled, trimmed and added.

Once that was finished, I started work on the Minigun and the mounting system. Deciding on making it easier to affix on, I designed a simple mount system to be placed onto the right shoulder back. it will allow the Minigun to swivel up and down, but in no way left to right. :) It was also decided to lengthen the barrel abit more to make it look more menacing. :D The Minigun was made from PVC tubes, and held in place with industrial double sided tape. A pvc end cap was used to cover up the back [It was decided on using an end cap as it would allow me access to adjust/remove the screws that held the Minigun in place and should it be necessary, remove and fix the Minigun should anything happen].

I'm still working on the chest armor with additional chest plates [heat shaped PVC Hard foamcard] to recreate the different War Machine chest. Pics to follow once it's done...

The pics:

The Base Suit that will be reworked:

CIMG0037.jpg

The Mech like shoulder build:

CIMG0040.jpg

What it would look like and the process:

CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0051.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

CIMG0059.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

After sanding down and painting it.

CIMG0066.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

Detail pieces:

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

My custom mount system, reinforced with fiberglass:

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

Minigun build parts:

CIMG0068.jpg

CIMG0069.jpg

CIMG0070.jpg

The new muzzle:

IMG_4959.jpg

New addon chest plates:

CIMG0073.jpg

The Minigun mounted and in SAFE mode:

IMG_4960.jpg

FIRE mode:

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

That's it for now...

Stay safe,

Tim.

Alex spartan177 said:
I love the suit but I think the turret is a little to big

The bigger the gun is, the better. lol. :D

That looks Amazing, can't wait for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... This has got to be one of the best War Machine builds going on right now... at least as far as progress.

I would agree with Alex and say that the minigun is a tad too long...

I was also wondering if you were going to put a sort of ammo box on the gun, and not have it be a straight tube.

Otherwise, very nice work! This is making me want to get back to work on my Iron Man build.

fantastic , I uploaded a few ironman 2 photo afew days ago, i dont know if they will help you, but looks like you dont need any. nice work

Alex spartan177 said:
I love the suit but I think the turret is a little to big

no such thing as a minigun thats to big, the only exception is if its bigger than the A-10 mini gun

great work

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! But the turret seems a tad big... Still excellent detailing (I like the Terminator helm in the background btw haha)

Thanks Marines.

As for the Minigun being too large, like I said in my post, we wanted it to look a little more menacing...:)

Thanks again guys!

Stay safe,

Tim.

I think everything looks great Tim!! Agreed about the mini-gun, it does look a tad more menacing that way
wink.gif

-Matt

Thanks Marines!

Troubleis1983, the resin sticks very well to the soft foam, with the foam card, you'll need to be careful. Try sanding down the foamcard so as to allow some 'grip' for the resin to hold on to. It worked well for me but then again, I applied an extra layer of resin after the first initial sanding to fill up the loose bits and air pockets.

Another update on the progress of the hybrid War Machine. :) Finally finished the Chest Piece and removed the excess original part seen behind the new panels. It's not perfect but it does hide the original chest piece while still emulating the Tank like exterior seen in the trailer. With the shoulder bells, I used the same method for the shoulders, to create the armored bells. At the moment, I think it'll do, but if there's still time, I'd like to make some accurate improvements to em. The Gauntlets, which btw were done by a bud of mine [Edwin], were made from resin and fiberglass, with a little PVC hard foamcard and tubing thrown in for good measure. While it does not look at all like the actual gaunts, it's the best representation, I feel, for the ones seen in the trailer. For now, it'll have to do till we get more time to properly build one a bit more accurately.

The Gauntlets:

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

The Chest Piece with the new 'armored' panels [again, made from PVC hard foamcard]:

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

All panels glued on, with original chest piece excess shown:

IMG_4982.jpg

Minus the excess:

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

With the shoulder bells:

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg