Warning To 405Th (Mostly The Tech Support)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iDieAgaain

Recently I have found a virus on one of the computers I use (I use several different computers daily) and wanted to warn this site that the virus might target this site. I have put this message out to all the sites I have visited with that computer. I was successful on isolating and eradicating the virus from that specific desktop, but I did catch it a lot later than I normally would so it had more time to spread. This was a very difficult virus for me to deal with and wanted to make sure you did not have any issues with it. I have updated my software to detect the virus, since it had somehow slipped past my software. I'm not sure the specific name or data code of the particular virus, sorry.

OMG! I got a virus from poking around here too! Watch out people, it's pretty serious and really hard to fix. It's called a trojan horse virus that gets installed in a link to another page, so it wont be very avoidable. Just make sure you have some pretty serious anti-virus stuff, cause it's extremely irritaiting.

you guys wanna provide a little more detail than OMG watch out? How about what page, what the trojan is, and the like.

Well, what happened is that I signed off the internet and a thing opped up telling me that there were 33 infections found. It's basically a virus that wont let you on the internet, so you really cant get on the computer at all whatsoever. I'm gonna find a wikipedia page on it.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Had the same virus. Only difference is I lost everything on my computer. Vacation pictures, thousands of reference pictures, all of my pep files/3D models, and my book I was nearly finished writing. Basicly my computer went back in time by about 3 years.

If you can, back your hard drives up, or you may lose everything like I did.

What makes you think it's on the 405th, and not somewhere else? (pep file or zip file on the costume wikia etc?)

Can't help you guys unless we know it's 405th doing it.

exactly right. System restore is what we did, took us back about three days, didnt loose anything.

@Adam, how do we know it's not? If this site is the last place we were, then there's a way to explain it. A place like this is a fantastic place to start a virus, because of the hundreds of people that log on each and every day. We're not trying to put a bad image on the forums, just warning people. The day i got it, I hadnt downloaded anything, just a normal day surfing the forums.

Any idea on what specific type of Trojan it is? There are MANY different types, but knowing a specific one can help others in removal of it

Not entirely sure, but tech support said that it basically doesnt let you log on to the internet to get the tech support number. They want to steal your identity. The world is a terrible place, especially with computers. You dont know where youll get a virus and where is safe, especvially with forums, I.M. places, chat rooms, facebook, myspace, youtube, viruses could be anywhere. It's people either trying to screw with you, steal your stuff, or make money off you. Any way is just cruel and dispicable. It's like a grown man teasing animals for fun...or killing them for fun. Luckily, we have phones with data packages, but my mom complains so much about the tiny screen and didnt want to call anyone when she was that mad. jeez we were all trying to give her suggestions of what to do and she shot all of them down, we were just trying to help. idieagaain is lucky that he had more than one computer.

Aaron said:
OMG! I got a virus from poking around here too! Watch out people, it's pretty serious and really hard to fix. It's called a trojan horse virus that gets installed in a link to another page, so it wont be very avoidable. Just make sure you have some pretty serious anti-virus stuff, cause it's extremely irritaiting.

Wait a Moment...Trojan Virus? Can such a Thing successfully be a Danger for Spartans??

BTT: Got no Virus and never had one :p

Last edited by a moderator:
iSUPERNOOB said:
For once I'm happy to have a Mac on this website...

Its a Lie about Macs not having Viruses, the reason they don't have as much as Windows is that there are more people using windows so Its popular choice with hackers.

Well I haven't been on the site latly so i don't know anything about it, but one suggestion is to turn off Cookies for the time being while surfing here because most common Trojans and viruses are just something with in the cookies and can be easily deleted. Also WATCH OUT FOR THE NEW "VISTA GUARDIAN", its a fake anti-virus that suddenly comes up on your computer and its hell getting off. got it while surfing one day, ended up having to do system restore to get it off. Which just type in restore on the search and run System Restore to restore your system to a earlier point in time, most of the time that gets rid of the problems and it won't delete your files.

Happy Surfing.

lol, i have no virus protection. i have a free edition of a cheap anti-virus and i own one that pre-dates that program by 3-4 years (makes it about 5-6 years old) its a good thing i or anyone else over here don't do ANYTHING of importance to get stolen on computers, few forum accounts and that's it.

its sort of funny, my aunts computer is full of anti-virus software and it gets screwed over all the time, but mine has been going lean and mean for quit some time.

because of this i might just do a virus scan, around the time of the year to do one. j/k

thanks for the heads up.

I'm sorry but this sounds like someone cring wolf. I've never receaved a virus from a forum. I have gotten one from some downloads. So I'm going to say this, DON'T DOWNLOAD FROM PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW!!!

iSUPERNOOB said:
For once I'm happy to have a Mac on this website...

Likewise with you

Aaron said:
Then how do you make pepakura if you have a mac?

Actually you can since mac is a unix OS it allows you to run most programs that linux users under x11. So all you really have to do is load WINE an that will allow a mac user to run any windows based .exe with out having to open another program like parallels or dual booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back