Warthog Build - M12 FAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogSmith

Hey everyone! My name's Ben. I'm 19 and I'm from Australia.

I know this isn't the usual sort of project that's posted here (armor/weapons), but I think it counts as a prop and it's definitely Halo related - so I thought I'd go ahead and make a post.

I'm currently in the process of building a Warthog. I'm basing it on the M12 FAV from Halo 1 & 2, and I'm trying to stay as close to the original design with the resources I have available to me.

IMG_1046_zps6bd83ce4.jpg

IMG_1055_zps29eaa7bc.jpg

IMG_1048_zps45705d9b.jpg

The car I used to build this with is a 1960 Series 2 Land Rover. Like the M12, it has four-wheel steering. This was achieved by removing the back axle, replacing it with the front diff of another vehicle, and connecting it to the steering column via some bodged-up linkage. It cannot, however, crab-crawl. The 4 cylinder engine is still operational and it drives fairly well (apart from the brakes, which I'm currently working on). I started this several years ago, but have only recently started doing some serious work.

I built all of the frame and bodywork with the varied assortment of sheet metal and square/rectangle steel that I have lying around. For me, progress is rather slow when making the metal parts (as it requires a lot of cutting, drilling, filing, grinding and welding) so it's still going to take me a fair while to finish. Currently it looks obvious that it's made from scrap metal, but I'm definitely going to buff it and give it a nice paint job.

I know that the proportions vary from the original Warthog, but I've had to make a lot of compromises to fit the body around a smaller vehicle (the M12 is considerably larger than a standard vehicle). At this stage it's also missing several defining features, such as the winch & "tusks", the window, monstrous wheels (which are low priority for me, due to price of wheels), the lighting/electronics and some other bits and pieces.

I'd love to hear some feedback about my project, so feel free to chuck some constructive criticism my way :)

Attachments

• IMG_1046_zps6bd83ce4.jpg
    IMG_1046_zps6bd83ce4.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1055_zps29eaa7bc.jpg
    IMG_1055_zps29eaa7bc.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1048_zps45705d9b.jpg
    IMG_1048_zps45705d9b.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 505
I think the steering wheel is on the wrong side.... ;)

Looking great mate! I love when people do this kind of stuff!!! Is that coming off of an old Rover?

Haha, minor detail :p

Thanks man! Yeah it's an old Land Rover that we used to have for farmwork - but I've now claimed it ;)

and you're not the only one in fact I think this would be like the five warthong build on the site... opation cheastiety had one, one is in new zeland, one is in texas, and another his at 343 and then theirs your's. oven some how get all of them at dragon con with a tank... I think .... wait nobody move, I dropped my brain.

Looking good man. For being nothing but scrap metal and spare parts your doing a pretty amazing job so far!

and you're not the only one in fact I think this would be like the five warthong build on the site... opation cheastiety had one, one is in new zeland, one is in texas, and another his at 343 and then theirs your's.

Didn't know so many people have made hogs! Oh well, I'll just try to do a decent job of it :)

Looking good man. For being nothing but scrap metal and spare parts your doing a pretty amazing job so far!

Thank you!! I'm trying hard to make it look like the real deal :)

I think it looks more like a...puma.

All kidding aside - this is an amazing project and you have a very developed method for turning your vision into results. It looks great! Keep it coming and get a good shot of yourself cheesing for the camera with a finished product; it is one thing to costume but another to bring a replica to life!

PS: By the by, amazing work with all those angles!

I'd love to see the finished product

Cheers, I'll post some updates as I keep working :)

Couldn't agree more.

Thank you!!

I think it looks more like a...puma.

All kidding aside - this is an amazing project and you have a very developed method for turning your vision into results. It looks great! Keep it coming and get a good shot of yourself cheesing for the camera with a finished product; it is one thing to costume but another to bring a replica to life!

PS: By the by, amazing work with all those angles!

More like a walrus... Haha, thanks for all the encouragement! I've spent HEAPS of time sorting out those angles; I'm glad you like it. I'll get some good shots with it for sure ;)

Nice work. It looks a lot like a hog, as it should!
If you need to look at some details, have a look at the Weta 'Hog. It might help a lot.

Nice work. It looks a lot like a hog, as it should!
If you need to look at some details, have a look at the Weta 'Hog. It might help a lot.

Thanks mate, I'm glad to hear that!

Ah yes, the Weta hog... I try not to think about that one too much so that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time haha :p

shotgun slap, well here's some pics of the real world hogs I've found..

a189c609a701037ad18f47634e4fcb08.jpg

self-made-real-halo-warthog-53.jpg

Attachments

• self-made-real-halo-warthog-53.jpg
    self-made-real-halo-warthog-53.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 261
  • a189c609a701037ad18f47634e4fcb08.jpg
    a189c609a701037ad18f47634e4fcb08.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 233
Yeah that bottom one is pretty cool. I like his plans for the computer system and stuff.

I'm also going to have a turret mounted on mine, and a boatload of lighting/electronics (which I've already purchased). The complexity of my dashboard will ultimately depend on how much money I want to put into this thing. So far I've barely spent any cash on it, since I'm mainly using stuff I already have.

just don't go out and hit a wallabe on the test run... sure their good eatin' but I'm sure if you could get it out of the grill. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back