Weapon Placement / Nessesary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wut about us who have the heavy artillary...or the OMG i cant believe its there IE-sniper rifles, Rockts, SPLazer etc.

redragon74 said:
wut about us who have the heavy artillary...or the OMG i cant believe its there IE-sniper rifles, Rockts, SPLazer etc.

No way is my SR goin on my back LOL. It's not that its that heavy its just that..... well... that thing is really long.... i'll be scraping it across the floor ahahahaha. I think you better stick to the "short" weapons for that :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Spase said:
Talk to Dogwizard about using Magnets...

'Cause I set up my armor/weapons with them :) I used them for long periods at DCon including the parade with no issues. a 6-12lb magnet will not be enough - trust me. I went through several sets before I got something that worked well. The final ones are rated at 78.2 POUNDS! Magnetism decreases exponentially with distance - twice as far does not equal half as strong. Even an incredibly strong magnet sandwiched behind epoxy, fiberglass or resin armor, air gap, then the reverse in the weapon will struggle to adequately retain the object (based on weight of course).

I recessed one in one of Sean's Sword hilts and milled one into one of Link's Pistols. I then epoxied their "mates" onto the inside of my thigh armor on each side. Be sure to check the polarity and placement BEFORE you glue them in place. You may also want to experiment so that you can swap weapons on each side.

33.8 lbs.
1st Version - almost there...

78.2 lbs.
The Winner!

I didn't move forward with the AR for a combination of reasons. As Link said - it could frag the electronics and basically seeing what it took to get the pistol to stay, I wasn't interested in doing what it would take to secure my AR to my back. I think it could be done but I already have a lot of electronics in there and it just wasn't worth it to me... Maybe someday...

If anyone has specific questions - I'll be glad to help...

Good Luck!

BlacRoseImmortal said:
No way is my SR goin on my back LOL. It's not that its that heavy its just that..... well... that thing is really long.... i'll be scraping it across the floor ahahahaha. I think you better stick to the "short" weapons for that :D
lol i know i was just joken :p would be awsome though to see a spartan with a rocket launcher slung accross the back or another heavy weapon lol

so far ive used 1 set of magnets and i dont know what there rating is but i know theyve almost crushed my fingers installing them, i got them from my freind who i worked with in the petstore i used it in conjunction with clips to hold my CQB chest plate on so i can switch out if i want chestplates or just keep straight MK6 all i know is there from a powerfull filtration pump from a fishtank. There stick magnets and theyve....def. got a hold lol

DON'T USE MAGNETS!!!! My assault rifle was on my back fell off during a con and broke. If you hit anything your pretty screwed.

Darkslitter said:
DON'T USE MAGNETS!!!! My assault rifle was on my back fell off during a con and broke. If you hit anything your pretty screwed.

YOU CAN USE MAGNETS!!!! - I did...

Just use strong enough magnets and make sure that they are installed correctly for maximum strength. I had weapons attached using magnets all through DCon and didn't have any issues. I still believe that the correct magnets will come out on top everytime when compared with velcro or something similar. You have to be able to remove the weapon using some amount of force, otherwise what's the point? If you can pull it off it doesn't matter if it's a magnet, velcro, or unobtanium...:) I would agree that engineering a system capable of holding a full sized AR throughout a Con would be quite a challenge - maybe for next year...

DogWizard said:
YOU CAN USE MAGNETS!!!! - I did...

Just use strong enough magnets and make sure that they are installed correctly for maximum strength. I had weapons attached using magnets all through DCon and didn't have any issues. I still believe that the correct magnets will come out on top everytime when compared with velcro or something similar. You have to be able to remove the weapon using some amount of force, otherwise what's the point? If you can pull it off it doesn't matter if it's a magnet, velcro, or unobtanium...:) I would agree that engineering a system capable of holding a full sized AR throughout a Con would be quite a challenge - maybe for next year...

So, refrigerator magnets are out? :D

I think some kind of sliding/locking system might work well, too, but it would be pretty complicated.

gamerguy55 said:
So, refrigerator magnets are out? :D
I think some kind of sliding/locking system might work well, too, but it would be pretty complicated.

Yep...no A, B, C's for you...

I actually played around with something like what the Colonial Marines (Aliens) have on their armor - basically exactly what you described, sliding clips. I just couldn't deal with the unsightly mess it would create on the armor when no weapons were in place...

Sorry, been lurking for a while, but wanted to chip in on the idea of carrying a larger weapon on your back.

I am in the process of working up a Gravity Hammer as a secondary to wear, and am thinking that the best way to carry it would be a simple sling across the shoulder, with snaps on either end so that I can break it free. Might work for other large items when you want your hands free...sling can be tucked away when not in use

Personally I don't think magnets would be a really good idea but that's just me... I mean depending on the weight and use and placement makes what you do the key idea... I mean on my leg a pistol ..I could see Myself using a magnet if that ever happens but I think carrying to weapons around at a con leaves you a better chance of some one sealing your weapons then looking cooler... I mean If we are talking about making a film. I would go the direction in making a lock L patter where you side it in and then lock it.. If you don't under stand I could draw up something. Or even fashion up a seat belt buckle but I think it should be a bit annoying to get off just so a thief would get caught .. Know what I mean? If your really in the need to be hands free have a combat strap and sling it... but that's just me...

I think magnets would be good for the legs,but I'd be worried about chipping the pain on my amror or something. For the back, IDK,but the elctro magnet thing could be cool, except I don't think I'll be able to use any magnets due to the eclectronics I plan to use in my suit.

CPU64 said:
Are you guys sure that magnets mess up IC chips? I never had that happen...
try it and find out :p all stuff i could try it on is too important lol

It really all depends on the strength of the magnet and to some extent the age of the chip. I screwed up some chips just testing different ideas in the past with magnets. If the magnet is 6 inches or more away from the chip, I don't think it would be a problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back