Weapon Props for Outpost Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyaalex

So I read that plastic and fiberglass weapon props won't be allowed at Outpost Discovery. Does that mean foam ones will? I mean, "technically" I should be good, right? And should I coat it in a hardener or leave it foam-like just to appease the rules a bit? Because I wanted to coat it in Plasti-dip just so it takes color well

Foam is acceptable in nearly any situation, and plasti dip wont give them any reason to confiscate the weapon. I dont recall them saying anything against fibreglass,(I may need to re read the rules but I thought that was ok) but when they mentioned resin, I am pretty sure they were talking about fully solid resin cast, where thin slush casts I think are ok

Generally foam doesnt need to be hardened so I think you be fine, but for whatever reason if you really want to do it you can

A key point from the Event Faq on their website (Halo Outpost Discovery | FAQs) is:
Ultimately, Halo: Outpost Discovery staff and [City] police will decide what is allowed and not allowed into Halo: Outpost Discovery.

They then list some guidelines "you can assume will apply," including that "Replica firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted. " But there is still that first, most important caveat that the Security Staff for the Event and Event Center will have the final say at the weapon/prop check in.

When they say "Replica Firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted" they might mean exact firearm replicas, with out the orange tip or plugged barrel or being rendered inoperable. I am sure that as long as your item, foam especially, has been rendered inoperable if its airsoft or BoomCo based, and has an orange safety tip and plugged barrel, you will be allowed in with it.

A key point from the Event Faq on their website (Halo Outpost Discovery | FAQs) is:

They then list some guidelines "you can assume will apply," including that "Replica firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted. "

But there is still that first, most important caveat that the Security Staff for the Event and Event Center will have the final say at the weapon/prop check in.

I am sure that as long as your item, foam especially, has been rendered inoperable if its airsoft or BoomCo based, and has an orange safety tip and plugged barrel, you will be allowed in with it.
Just drink a charisma potion before hand (not alcohol) and talk your way through the guards. The DM will love it I promise.

They then list some guidelines "you can assume will apply," including that "Replica firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted. " But there is still that first, most important caveat that the Security Staff for the Event and Event Center will have the final say at the weapon/prop check in.

When they say "Replica Firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted" they might mean exact firearm replicas, with out the orange tip or plugged barrel or being rendered inoperable. I am sure that as long as your item, foam especially, has been rendered inoperable if its airsoft or BoomCo based, and has an orange safety tip and plugged barrel, you will be allowed in with it.
Perfect.

I wasn't sure if American firearm code was similar to Canadian for definition of props and replicas. I've lived with producing something dimensionally accurate to a real world firearm lands you with a big old federal offence for fabricating a prohibited weapon. Stick with big ol' goofy space guns and bright orange (USA required) barrel plugs.

Perfect.

I wasn't sure if American firearm code was similar to Canadian for definition of props and replicas. I've lived with producing something dimensionally accurate to a real world firearm lands you with a big old federal offence for fabricating a prohibited weapon. Stick with big ol' goofy space guns and bright orange (USA required) barrel plugs.
This is the dumbest thing that makes sense I've heard all day.

I'm moving this thread to the HOD forum.

Everyone, please, please, PLEASE do whatever security says. If your friend gets in with exactly the same thing and you do not - it is what it is. If they tell you one day yours is okay and the next it is not - it is what it is. They have an important job to do and they have to do it based on a lot of things that we will never, ever know about. Which means, things can change from day to day and things can be based on a lot of different items which could make their decisions seem random and unfair.

Your costume is still an amazing work of art without your weapon. Don't get hung up on potentially not having it. I have asked for clarification on what our members with Exhibitor passes should expect and will update the thread once I have that answer for you.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing, but got caught up in the semantics of "props" being "replicas" with no clarifications and made my own head spin with the details lol

Your costume is still an amazing work of art without your weapon. Don't get hung up on potentially not having it. I have asked for clarification on what our members with Exhibitor passes should expect and will update the thread once I have that answer for you.
Thanks for this! I'm in crunch time now making an ODST kit for OD in Philly. About 3/4's through 3D printing and foam crafting I told myself "oh man, I need a weapon!"

Just for stress sake, I may go without one and pose for pictures with finger guns

I think the main thing you missed was "solid". Very few medium to large props or replicas are solid. Even 3d printing has infill webbing. I think the only ones we might have trouble with are small firearms. If yours pistol feels heavy and looks real then maybe it won't pass. But like cadet says, the person checking it can determine if it is not functional then that is there call.

Fangs has a really good message too.

Thanks for this! I'm in crunch time now making an ODST kit for OD in Philly. About 3/4's through 3D printing and foam crafting I told myself "oh man, I need a weapon!"

Just for stress sake, I may go without one and pose for pictures with finger guns
If you just want a basic one, you can probably pick up a boomco for a few bucks and paint it

Sometimes the rules get a little hairy so I'll just be sticking with the knives on my suit for HOD
I definitely agree with this for conventions in the USA. A recent one I went to had the line in their props and weapons policy "Keep in mind, police will assume all drawn weapons are functional, and will act accordingly."

Uh... yeah. Basically a "if police shoot you it's your own fault" clause.

Guys, listen up.

Wasn't going to say anything, but a few comments made me think it might be a good idea.

If you have/ bring a weapon prop/ replica/ WHATEVER, DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE!!!!!!!!

Not sure where you guys stand or what you believe but here are some facts you must consider. This info may prove useful to you Canadians coming our way? I dunno. Do what you want with it.

Some genius morons some years ago took a bright colored big ol' goofy super soaker water gun and changed it so it became a 12 guage bright colored goofy ol' super soaker, complete with 00 buck shot or slugs.

It doesn't matter what your weapon looks like. Color, size, shape, don't matter. You point that at someone, especially law enforcement, and you're going to have a bad day. Doesn't matter how heavy it is, either. Lord help you if you point it at a trigger happy rent-a-cop that hasn't done his trainings, which HOD is likely to employ.

Furthermore a general rule is do not even bring ammunition. If it LOOKS like ammunition and you want to bring it, transport it seperate and away from your weapon prop. That will just save you all kinds of trouble.

Ok, rant over, thanks for listening.

Everything Sean Anwalt said is correct. Also gun laws here in the states can be widely different.

The following rules are for live firearms, and are good to follow for any weapon that looks to be a possible firearm.

Take an example of Pa and NY. Two states side by side. In PA you can open carry or conceal carry a weapon nearly anywhere. The exceptions are federal property and any business that has posted that they are a gun free zone. Now within PA two cities are also ordanced with stricter laws. Those two cities are Pittsburg and Philadelphia.

NY you can not open carry in even more places. Their rules for concealed carry are even stricter.

Even though you might have a concealed carry licence in your home state, it does not mean that you can conceal carry in another state.

Now. Safe transport nearly anywhere in the usa.
Ammo, magazines, and firearm all separated and in separate cases. Cases are non transparent. If it is a replica or prop weapon, unless you are on private property and not in public view it is best to have a very visible from all angles Orange tip.
A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back