wearing your helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes longer than a day or two depending on conditions, if it is cold, resin wont fully cure even though dry, and will still smell for a long time, but if sunny and baked outside, it will go away in a day or two.

Hey fellow SPARTANS,

I had the same problem with my helmet. The Resin is completely hard and I left the helmet longtime outside. But if temperature changed you always had a little resin stink when you wore your helmet. So I nerver could wear it very long (and without risk I guess) so I looked for something easy to use to solve that problem.

And well, I think I found something wich was very easy and it seems that this was even a very effective method. My Helmet doesn't smell to anything now.

Solution is really simple:
You are using finish-color outside your helmet to give it a color. Well just use finish also inside of the helmet. I bought something called "Aqua Lack" (Aqua finish). Its a solid color often used for Children Wood or plastic Toys because it even don't smell in liquid state and it has an enviromental seal because there are no dangerous chemical things in it. So I painted my Helmet inside with that finish (in Black color) and a day later again a second coat from that stuff. I left the helmet outside for about 12-14 hours and today I took it back in and you don't smell anything.

This Aqua based finish is quite expensive (had to pay 5 Euro for 0,125l, thats about $7,75) but I really can recommend that. The resin is now completely covered into a "skin" of finish so no smell can go through. And well, my health is worth every cent, so I really can recommend that investation for those who use resin/fibreglassed helmets.

(Nice side effect is that the "glossy" black painting inside the helmet really looks great in it.:))

Chief said:
Hey fellow SPARTANS,

I had the same problem with my helmet. The Resin is completely hard and I left the helmet longtime outside. But if temperature changed you always had a little resin stink when you wore your helmet. So I nerver could wear it very long (and without risk I guess) so I looked for something easy to use to solve that problem.

And well, I think I found something wich was very easy and it seems that this was even a very effective method. My Helmet doesn't smell to anything now.
Solution is really simple:
You are using finish-color outside your helmet to give it a color. Well just use finish also inside of the helmet. I bought something called "Aqua Lack" (Aqua finish). Its a solid color often used for Children Wood or plastic Toys because it even don't smell in liquid state and it has an enviromental seal because there are no dangerous chemical things in it. So I painted my Helmet inside with that finish (in Black color) and a day later again a second coat from that stuff. I left the helmet outside for about 12-14 hours and today I took it back in and you don't smell anything.

This Aqua based finish is quite expensive (had to pay 5 Euro for 0,125l, thats about $7,75) but I really can recommend that. The resin is now completely covered into a "skin" of finish so no smell can go through. And well, my health is worth every cent, so I really can recommend that investation for those who use resin/fibreglassed helmets.

(Nice side effect is that the "glossy" black painting inside the helmet really looks great in it.:))

I will add that to my helmet love the idea I agree if the helmet gets hot from being in the sun the smell does start to come out again

Last edited by a moderator:
Vexona said:
Baby Powder + Patience = Win

The smell goes away, we promise :D

I did that, and I agree it works, but if you where your helmet in the sun it does still come out but it doesn't matter now I'm molding mine soon

timecon said:
I did that, and I agree it works, but if you where your helmet in the sun it does still come out but it doesn't matter now I'm molding mine soon

They is nothing wrong with alil fiberglass smell. :D But seriously it takes I long time till it is gone but the smell does leave. And wearing your helmet while you can smell the fiberglass doesn't make you pas....... *clunck*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back