wearing your helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

timecon

I know that most of you are doing this same excact thing, and I've figured most of it out just by reading the forums, this is a question to those that have done this. the resin stinks bad how can you wear this with out passing out I think Im just going to use mine as a mold to cast others the resin is just to strong. I guess Im just wondering if people are actually wearing the one that they are fiberglassing/bondoing or just making a mold from it. and if you are just wearing it what are you doing to not get high or passing out?

I would post mine but I guess I ran out of picture space If anyone knows how to get past that as well I be glad to post some pics for now you will just have to go to timecon.deviantart.com and look at my pep helmet there

sure you use photo bucket. embed the pics through that. like so
IMG_0075.jpg

Bam your pic pops up. hope that helps

and i will tell you how to embed when you get there
http://photobucket.com/

sighn up and tell me when you do...

You could also try priming and painting the inside of your helmet, that seemed to lock in some of the stink when I was doing a mask a while back.

You could stuff a tissue sprayed with lysol into it xD thats what I did on halloween since I finished my helmet 2 days before Halloween. The smell is gone now.

heres something handy i picked up in collage:

cook it.

if youve got an old oven (i say old cuz itll stick like bejeasus) put it outside, set it to a low temp and bang the helmet in it for 15 mins (making sure to turn it often). take it out for half a hour to cool put it back in and repeat. smell should be gone in a day or less.

had to do this cuz the fumes from the resin were messin up the dragon skin silicone. stupidness

Let it sit out for a week or so to "De-gas". If that does not work then there may have been a mixing problem with the resin.

Thanks guy you all rock!!!! I will attempt a few of these and let you know. I like flying-squirls the best but I left my old oven (that was outside) back in cali probably still sitting there in the orchard

Leaving a fumey helmet outside for half a year works, too. :p (I actually left mine in the garage, so now it smells of wood pellets.)

i think u should like wipe it a hell a lot of time with lysol or spray it with fabreze.... but a spray might be a bad idea....

Adding more chemicals to the surface would be a bad idea. Aerosol sprays like the Axe, Lysol, or even Febreeze could react with the resin and give you a gummy mess inside your helmet.

The odor goes away completely on its own in a short time of just airing out.. set in your garage, shed, or anywhere outdoors that is safe for a day or two, and the odor should go away. If it doesn't in that amount of time, then you may have mixed your resin or bondo incorrectly.. try Belakor's suggestion of primering the inside to seal in the uncured materials safely.

Sean Bradley said:
Adding more chemicals to the surface would be a bad idea. Aerosol sprays like the Axe, Lysol, or even Febreeze could react with the resin and give you a gummy mess inside your helmet.

The odor goes away completely on its own in a short time of just airing out.. set in your garage, shed, or anywhere outdoors that is safe for a day or two, and the odor should go away. If it doesn't in that amount of time, then you may have mixed your resin or bondo incorrectly.. try Belakor's suggestion of primering the inside to seal in the uncured materials safely.
Thats why I lightly sprayed the surface of a paper towel and just taped it in there with scotch tape. It didnt gum up the resin, but it helped get rid of the fumed smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
In hardware stores, you can buy de-odorizor powders, you dont place the powder on anything, but you open the container, and let it absorb the fumes/scents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back