Website Making Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryenko

DW stands for Dreamweaver.

To finish one of my courses I need to create a decent looking website but my Dreamweaver doesn't work. I'm basic in HTML, but not enough to make a good looking website.

Anyone know of a program like dreamweaver that I can try free for a little while to make the website and complete my course?

If you know what you're doing, Notepad++

Makes everything clean and pretty. Just run the website in local for a preview.

I would like to thank you guys for your help and I have completed the Website.

As a side note to Adam: I needed to make an animated gif of a still image so I used your Red MC picture and gave credit to your work on the suit. (It was just a school assignment so I hope you don't mind!)

hard code in crimson editor... all of the notepad app add messy code when saved can interfer when editing or creating a page and then it being viewed etc

crimson is free and i use it to death... ive created hundreds of sites... usually fully hardcode if i can be arsed lol as DW can be very buggy... get yourself a free trial of DW or something if your just doing it for course...

unless u want a seriously basic and well crap site do not use frontpage!

ive started a blog type site for my costuming projects including my halo and predator..

Boryenko said:
I would like to thank you guys for your help and I have completed the Website.

As a side note to Adam: I needed to make an animated gif of a still image so I used your Red MC picture and gave credit to your work on the suit. (It was just a school assignment so I hope you don't mind!)

Congrats on finishing the site!

If you want another free program to help in the future, 'Arachnophilia' is decent. I don't use it much, having other programs available, but it's good in that it offers color coding and indentation. It doesn't have intellisense (last I checked) though.

And like someone else said, Notepad is good (if you are comfortable with just writing code). I use it a lot for at work because it's a quick way to edit. (i.e. Notepad and not Wordpad. Notepad= Plain Text, Wordpad= Rich Text, which is bad for html work.)

If you ever purchase, I'd say you'd do well to find a compatible/working version of Dreamweaver. It's my fav program to work with (x)html, css, php.

Anywho, g'luck in the future! If you have any webby questions...you can shoot me a pm. I'll be happy to help...web design is my full time job & fav pass time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to make a website but I can't really write anything. I can only design it as a finished image of what the site would look like.
Is it possible to make a working page from an image?

Not really, even if you did use image slices it would be bandwidth intensive/slow in loading, might not work on all browsers and would definitely be a pain to edit/rework/update.

Decent CSS knowledge is all you need, then you'll find it much easier making proper, robust websites without too much imagery.

Usually, making a site involves actually knowing what your doing, even DW can't do that for you :D

CPU64 said:
I wanted to make a website but I can't really write anything. I can only design it as a finished image of what the site would look like.
Is it possible to make a working page from an image?
Could be done. I did it actually but like said by above poster, it's slower to load the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD!! Im doing the exact same assignment! i got a great grade. i needed, 1 rollover, link bar on top or side, and yeah just a basic website. but thats weird to think we have the same course.

For anyone else who might need help with web design there are plenty of HTML and CSS sites out there. Google will help you find them. Neopets is a great place to start when new to HTML there are a few helpful pages there (including neos own HTML basics guide). I don't visit that site anymore,but that is where I first discovered HTML and CSS back when I was 9 or 10. But there are plenty of other tutorials out there.

A program that can help is called kompozer. It has a basic WYSIWYG Editor and a plain text editor. It is FREE. I'm sure its not like Dreamweaver or Frontpage (I've never used either of them),but it will help get the job done.

So for begginers, meaning you've never coded anything before in your life, look here:

Basic HTML Guide
CSS Code Snippets

Those are the two pages that got me coding in elementary school. For more help, a simple google search should suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back