Well, It Was Worth A Shot, Anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
As some here are aware, I'd applied for a job with MBNA Canada (a friend of mine who works there helped push my application through with HR). I went through the entire interview process -- a total of three -- and though they were looking at eight different applications for the position, given my skills and previous experience I was pretty confident I'd be one of the four selected.

Well, after more than a week since the last interview, I received an e-mail from their HR department yesterday stating that, although they found my qualifications "impressive", in the end I was not considered for any of the four job openings available.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to become rather frustrated with this. I mean, it's been about three and a half months since I lost my job, and I've been making more than an effort with looking for and applying to any jobs that meet what I'm looking for (office administration). I've been applying to different positions left and right all this time, and have yet to hear back from any of them with any good news.

And so, the job search still continues...

Thanks, dude. As for something better that might come along, I've already applied to about another dozen job postings online today so far. Half of those being public application pools for possible openings within the federal government (the gf works for the government, and so sent me some links to those application pools). Don't know if I'm going to do much more today. But, I will be back at it again tomorrow morning. Just gotta keep at it until something pans out for me.

Im in the same boat dude. Been out of a job since March 26. No one will hire.

drgon47 said:
Im in the same boat dude. Been out of a job since March 26. No one will hire.

Yeah, I know. What makes it so frustrating is that, I know I've got the skills and experience these companies are looking for, and yet they still won't hire me for some stupid reason.

And I really don't want to go back to working retail (ie. covenience store, etc.), as what with the experiences I've had at the last couple retail-type jobs I worked prior to my last job, I know I simply can't deal with the idiocy and stress that comes with those sort of jobs anymore.

Besides, as I'm at an age/a point in my life now where I shouldn't be settling for just whatever's available, but looking for something I can actually make a career out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear that, but patience really pays off if you keep trying, im sure you will come along. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll admit I'm becoming frustrated with this, but at the same time I am still making an effort with the job search (as stated in my last post here). Like you said, I'm just going to be patient and keep at it until something comes my way. I just hope it's sooner rather than later, as my finances are rediculously tight now.

Sorry to hear that, dude. My company's hiring, but we don't have any Canadian offices. :(

Just keep at it. My wife has been looking for a long time as well, and she just started her first day today, so there's hope! There's no shortage of talented but unsuccessful people in the world. It's the persistent ones that succeed more than anything. Hang in there, and I know you'll make it!

Same here, i search since March 2008, looking for a Job in a Computer-Store which builds and repairs PCs too...i had some Stores trough, but what i´ve get back is no Reply or Overqualified...i dont want to take the Seat from the Boss, i just want a Job damnit!!

Man that really sucks... I guess you can just keep showing up in a tie and doing your best....

Good luck to you!

BULLLLL SH!TTTTTTTT!!!!

dude that sucks Elvis, once you told me they were hiring 4 out of the 8 i was positive you would get the job...

whatever man, life goes on. Keep your head up, im sure all will work out...... and hey if it comes time to pay rent and you still dont have a job/money, it will give us a chance to have another fund raiser type thing here on the 405th.....

Damn, sorry to hear that buddy. I hope you get a job soon.

I've applying everywhere for a job too, but so far, 0.

Pray that those links that your GF gave can get you more money in your pocket.

-Pony

I just started showing up to offices and saying I'm the new guy. Oddly enough, it didn't work nearly as well in real life as it did in my head.

Seriously, that sucks. I do know the feeling though. I've been out of work since July 08, but I recently stopped looking so hard, so I was really only having trouble for a few months of that. I decided I was going back to school. Maybe it's just fate telling you that you had the wrong job. Stick with it brother, things will work out eventually.

If I can give you an advice my father gave me.

Use your network of contact, and others networks.

Call all your friends, ask them if they know a job opening at their office or if they just know a job opening. If they say no, ask them if they could know someone that could know a job opening. Most people will say yes and you ask if you can have their # and you ask if you can name them as a referer.

Than you start back.

Try also Linked in, Facebook to get in contact with employers.

My father was unemployed 3 years ago and it took him no time to find a new job, then a even better one.

Keep all your contact, call them every 6 months, just asking, how are you, what's going on, how's the industry, etc.

Good luck!

Last suggestion, Canadian Forces. ;)

EDIT : Oh after re-asking my father, he said that they declined his application as well. He called back 1 day after, just to speak with them and tell them how much he was interested, what was his tasks in his other jobs and they called him for an interview and it was working the first business day after that ;)

im hoping my place of employment doesnt close soon. kepp it up man. you'll get a good job if you keep trying!

Try working for the RCMP or the Canadian equivalent of a US Customs Inspector? My dad is with the Customs and just sits around playing his Xbox (probably with his Canadian counterparts, too, as they're in the same building), waiting for the usual 8 cars that drive through the Saskatchewan/Montana border. It pays decently, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back