Well, This Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Rogue

I sure wasn't looking forward to this being my next armor update. As some of you may know, I made an MKVI helmet using DF4L's smooth helmet file. Well, I had it done(check sig) but I decided to take the advice of some of the other people here and resand parts of it and fill it a bit more details. Well, I was in between primer coats for roughness checks, and while I was getting a 9 volt out of the LED hook up, I put it on the ground and then without noticing a few minutes later, my dang size 15 hoof cracked most of the right side. See in pics :

Photo0006-1.jpg

Photo0002.jpg

I'm going to try to repair it, but how to do it i'm a bit confused about. My plan for repair goes like this :

1) Epoxy the cracked parts to put them back into place. (Pic 1)

2) Brace the back parts that caved in (Pic 2)

3) Re-fiberglass that area of the helmet and anything else that needs more strength

4) Finish up with some bondo, spot putty, sanding, etc.

5) Paint and hopefully be like new!

Does anyone see any problems with that plan? If so, please say so, that way I can know what to change. I'm not usre how often i'm going to have updates on this because school's starting up next week, but I hope I can have at least somewhat regular ones.

good luck fixing it, and remember if you can't fix it duck it
[attachment=6012:duct_tape.jpg]

In some experience with fixing more fragile materials, some stuff called cyanoacrilate (check spelling on it, I don't really have the bottle on hand at this time), really works well.

Then again, I fix ceramics, plastics, and more brittle and fragile materials for my parents. They are quite clumsy.

Epoxy really works well for foam (Model airplane mistakes... stupid telephone poles), but I haven't tried it on fiberglass yet. I would suggest using epoxy to glue it together, and then add an extra layer of epoxy around the crack to strengthen it before fiberglassing and sanding.

I hate to see such misfortune befall my fellow Arkansan... ouch man. I would be so pissed if I stepped on my helmet, I would probably just go into a rampage, destroy it, and start all over again. You, however, have persistence and drive, I admire that, haha :D

That's one KICK ass helmet. Sorry. I hope you can fix it dude. It would be a shame because you have put so much work in to it... Good luck with the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back