What Covers The Inside Fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzarth

Jr Member
I've finally got the inside fiberglassed and trimmed, but what goes over it? Or do you just paint it? Haven't found any other threads on it, and sorry If its in wrong place but I can only post here.

I was thinking of somehow attaching a balcava (however its spelled) to the inside. or putting padding then velcro the balcava inside. Any thoughts?

Just whatever you want :) Many people use a balaclava as "underarmor", but you can just add anything that makes it more comfortable for you.

Ok thanks guys, I just wasn't sure if there was some special coating you put on it to smooth it out or something.

Just get it smooth enough that it won't poke or cut you when you put it on, then cover it with another coat of resin to make sure everything is sealed in. After that cures I use strips of 1-inch air conditioner foam (the black squishy square shaped foam strips; ~$2.50 for 5 ft.) and stick them in cut strips to the inside with 3M spray adhesive. The helmet'll look and fit like a motorcycle helmet after that.

As for the attaching the Balaclava, don't, it's a pain in the ass. Just wrap it up on your head every time or do what I did with my MKVI and cut vent holes into where the indentations on the jaw are and fiberglass steel windowscreen over them so that you have covered ventilation. Then you can get a breath mask (the type that go in motorcycle helmets) for about $20 and put that on underneath. That should give you a high degree of ventilation without fogging up the visor.

DSC01451.jpg

Something like this oughta do it. I wear the mask part of my half face respirator underneath this one.

DSC01454.jpg

Looks nice thanks! I'll go with that idea then. Not too sure about the respirator, cause my budget is...erm...limited to say the least.

I like to put a coat of Plasti-Dip on the interior of all my pieces to cover the fiberglass. Plasti-Dip is a spray on protective rubber coating.

Cadet said:
I like to put a coat of Plasti-Dip on the interior of all my pieces to cover the fiberglass. Plasti-Dip is a spray on protective rubber coating.

That stuff is great! But whatever you do don't use it for a base coat for paint. It gets shredded pretty easily. Use the Rustoleum Black Spray Vinyl for a base coat because it will chemically bond to the bondo on your helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
BFDesigns said:
That stuff is great! But whatever you do don't use it for a base coat for paint. It gets shredded pretty easily. Use the Rustoleum Black Spray Vinyl for a base coat because it will chemically bond to the bondo on your helmet.

As I said, I use the plasti-dip to coat the interior of the armor, not the exterior, to coat the exposed fiberglass after its been sanded down.

I used a hardhat liner (the one with the big knob on the back to adjust the size). I just superglued it in and it keeps the helmet from bobble-heading and leaves plenty of room for airflow. I would show pics, but my camera's in the pawn shop :(

Azzarth said:
Looks nice thanks! I'll go with that idea then. Not too sure about the respirator, cause my budget is...erm...limited to say the least.
you should really be using a respirator for fiberglassing... don't cheap out on your health.

Enrisan said:
you should really be using a respirator for fiberglassing... don't cheap out on your health.

I know, but Im doing it all outside. and when I say outside i dont mean under a ledge beside my house. I mean almost in my front yard. I can move maybe 5 feet away and not smell fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back