what do you want in Pepakura files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForgedReclaimer

It seems as though that models now, from new and old modellers are getting more HD. There's more details, more complexity, and more components.

At the moment modellers do as they please to the HD standard and details. And this is fine. My question is how much detail are people looking for now? What do the Veterans want and what do the rookies want in the models they build? Are you guys looking for models more HD than right now or are some of you wanting models with less details, ones you can scratch build off of. Are people wanting more Foam Friendly files (if that's even possible!).

I don't know if its ever been discussed on what the community wants in its models other than a person commenting on someones thread wanting change in something(not talking about anyone specific). but at the moment 3d models are at the core of building costumes on these forums, and its important to know what needs to be done.

I think its important that we figure out what the community wants or still needs from its files to make the process easier.

Im not saying anything about quality or if you cant model good than don't, Not that at all!
Its about addressing the community's needs.

I find that most of the time I can modify the files so as to work however I plan on building them. I like your approach to building them. You do a great job.

Me personally I look for more game accurate models with details already there that I don't have to do with bondo, little stuff is easy to add with foamies or styrene, also I look for smooth models also. For foam builds I think people would rather look for the basic shape in larger peices where they can add all of the details to during the build, But I have to agree with Brando McClain the approach you have taken with your models works out well, plus I like your attention to the detail that you apply to your models, But all in all I think there are the rookies who would rather start with LD models to learn from but HD is the way to go

@FR:yeah, really sorry about that I wasn't thinking strait.

I don't always model, but when I do, I prefer Dosec-I-I mean game accurate, or at least Reference accurate.

I like Files that only require sanding(Yours are nice for this), I"m not a fan of bondo It's just annoying to me.

I prefer models where bondo is not needed as much. For instance the H2 ODST helm i did needed a lot of bondo work, but say look at a smooth recon helm and your not going to need nearly as much. It is more cost effective and time saving too :)

Like most of those who are experienced with pep work, I work exclusively with HD pep models because I'm not that particularly skilled with detailing work so I like to have most of the details already in place, thus only minimal bondo is going to be needed. However, there is a point when adding those miniscule details (supposedly for the sake of game accuracy) becomes a hindrance in all levels of armor-making: unfolding, pepping, post-pep work, etc. More often than not, those pep details that one spends so many hours pepping end up getting buried in resin and bondo.

Mileage may vary for many people but from my personal experience, if the detail has a height of less than 3mm, I'd rather have it omitted from the model and replaced with floating faces (ala FS Mark VI helmet) and simply use foamies instead. The same thing applies for indentations. I simply use a dremel tool on the bondo layer to add detail.

I find your models in your initial release versions to have the ideal amount of details for pep work.

I do believe a few are just now going over the top as far as details. We seem to be at that point when the level of detail could ruin the chances of someone actually starting a project built at all after seeing the amount of work involved in pepping a "simple helmet", which seems to be where everyone wants to start.

You're HD is great. The least amount of bondo, drilling,and shaping is needed and to me that what HD is about. Every last detail is there already and no need to add anything. Anything else just wouldn't be HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back