What is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmack674

New Member
Well im sure you can all guess im a new member, but ive been around here for a couple of months. Im really trying to make a spartan costume in time for holloween and i want to know peoples opinions who have made armor.

is it easier to make pepakura or just use something else?

Im only 15 and the only person who could have possibly helped me is in Iraq right now but hes comnig home in like 2 weeks so i want to figure out things and ask people who have made them. i also have some other questions....

do you always use cardboard to support the pepakura?

does regular computer paper work to print the pep? (i was looking at the tutorial and i didnt really understand)

how long does it usually take? (i just want a nice finish before halloween)


and sorry guys if this is the wrong place, im sure by now your used to it but again im sory if it is. any tips on how to begin would be great also thanks.
 

Jim

Jr Member
Tmack674 said:
is it easier to make pepakura or just use something else?

do you always use cardboard to support the pepakura?

does regular computer paper work to print the pep?

how long does it usually take? (i just want a nice finish before halloween)

Is it easy to use something else, as in what? I think Pepakura is going to be the easiest and fastest method.

I don't know about using cardboard to support it... Make sure you read the good folds thread, make good folds, and use hot glue (be careful not to burn yourself), and then later when the piece is assembled you can coat the outside in resin, and then put a layer of resin on the inside, and then fiberglass the inside.

Regular paper probably would be a bad choice, I used 110lb card stock and it works very well.

How long it takes depends on how good you want it to be, how hard you work on it, and how many times you may have to redo something. I would suggest starting out as soon as possible. Better to have extra time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tmack674

New Member
Jim said:
Is it easy to use something else, as in what? I think Pepakura is going to be the easiest and fastest method.

I don't know about using cardboard to support it... Make sure you read the good folds thread, make good folds, and use hot glue (be careful not to burn yourself), and then later when the piece is assembled you can coat the outside in resin, and then put a layer of resin on the inside, and then fiberglass the inside.

Regular paper probably would be a bad choice, I used 110lb card stock and it works very well.

How long it takes depends on how good you want it to be, how hard you work on it, and how many times you may have to redo something. I would suggest starting out as soon as possible. Better to have extra time.


thanks, and yeah thats why im asking questions now. sucks though i need supplies like hot glue guns and stuff. i need to wait till my dad gets back before literally starting though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
read all the stickies, <<<<------ thats the first step,

cardstock is what kind of paper you use. 65lbs is best 110lb works too since its cheaper.
you can buy this at any copy store, craft store, walmart, target, longs drugs, walgreens, ect.
use an exacto knife to cut
white wood glue works great but for speed hot glue works too, some people even use tape, (painters tape or masking tape) for a faster build.
visor tutorial here
resin, and fiberglass can be found at any hardware or automotive store, or online, you can find some good deals... (read the tutorials for tips)
sandpaper, primer, paint.

also read thru other peoples posts to see what questions they had, so you can avoid them.. just read everything here and youll do ok..

good luck

---edit
its a good thing your waiting for your dad to get home, youll have plenty of time to read up :)
 

sybrfreq

Jr Member
pepakura is the easiest way to get proper looking armor unless you have a degree in 3d art. use "cardstock". copy paper will fall apart. ive been here for 3 days and ive already gotten some pm's asking how i made my helmet. so id imagine the more experienced are quite used to this by now... but i cant really speak for them.

so to answer your main question: unless you have mad artsy-fartsy skills like bluerealm or adam and years to work at it, use pepakura. just be sure to take your time. invest in a good pair of scissors. use rubber cement or hot glue. unless you have a job or soccer or band or something you should have plenty of time to get it finished by haloween. since your only 15, make sure your parents know what your up to, they may even help you!

you could also go spend a bunch of money at Recasterss and just buy the suit. http://www.Recastersstudios.com/ (dont know why microsoft/bungie hasnt cracked down on selling copyrighted material for profit yet... maybe they have a licensing job which would explain why they are so expensive)

oh and let me wish your father best of luck in iraq.

edit: whats going on here? i type in w e s t e r f i e l d s t u d i o s . c o m and i get recasters, which is down?? am i missing something??
 

Tmack674

New Member
sybrfreq said:
pepakura is the easiest way to get proper looking armor unless you have a degree in 3d art. use "cardstock". copy paper will fall apart. ive been here for 3 days and ive already gotten some pm's asking how i made my helmet. so id imagine the more experienced are quite used to this by now... but i cant really speak for them.

so to answer your main question: unless you have mad artsy-fartsy skills like bluerealm or adam and years to work at it, use pepakura. just be sure to take your time. invest in a good pair of scissors. use rubber cement or hot glue. unless you have a job or soccer or band or something you should have plenty of time to get it finished by haloween. since your only 15, make sure your parents know what your up to, they may even help you!

you could also go spend a bunch of money at Recasterss and just buy the suit. http://www.Recastersstudios.com/ (dont know why microsoft/bungie hasnt cracked down on selling copyrighted material for profit yet... maybe they have a licensing job which would explain why they are so expensive)

oh and let me wish your father/older brother/(sorry i cant be more specific) best of luck in iraq.

thanks for the tips, ill be sure to keep working at it. and yeah luckily my dad only has a week or two left there. thanks for your wishes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Jr Member
dannifood4less said:
cardstock is what kind of paper you use. 65lbs is best 110lb works too since its cheaper.

Can you explain this to me? I really don't get the point... 110lb cardstock is heavier then 65lb, so why is 65lb better? I figure thicker cardstock is better.


Also, why use an exacto knife to cut out the cardstock, I suppose that would work, I am just using good scissors and hot glue, works great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim said:
Can you explain this to me? I really don't get the point... 110lb cardstock is heavier then 65lb, so why is 65lb better? I figure thicker cardstock is better.
Also, why use an exacto knife to cut out the cardstock, I suppose that would work, I am just using good scissors and hot glue, works great.
some printers jam up with 110lb cardstock, you also get better folds with 65lb. i dont like hot glue because it is messy, and its thick. i normally do regular papercrafts, where every millimeter of the paper has to be perfect.
heres a really great tutorial for papercraft, this is just how i prefer to do my papercraft projects.

for this type of project, however, the hot glue, tape, thicker paper, ect whot really hurt, since the paper will get fiberglassed, and sanded. like i said its just how i do papercraft, cuz it how i do my detailed ones aswell.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Jr Member
dannifood4less said:
some printers jam up with 110lb cardstock, you also get better folds with 65lb. i dont like hot glue because it is messy, and its thick. i normally do regular papercrafts, where every millimeter of the paper has to be perfect.
heres a really great tutorial for papercraft, this is just how i prefer to do my papercraft projects.

for this type of project, however, the hot glue, tape, thicker paper, ect whot really hurt, since the paper will get fiberglassed, and sanded. like i said its just how i do papercraft, cuz it how i do my detailed ones aswell.


Ahh, ok yeah... For more detailed stuff it does make sense. I just thought it would be a good idea to use as thick of paper as possible... Our printer here doesn't even seem to notice it's cardstock going through, and I have it on regular paper setting :whistle: . For this type of thing, I really do like the hot glue, it's really fast, and you can do it pretty neatly if you're careful... I don't know that I would say it won't hurt though :unsure:

By the way, thanks for the link, thats pretty cool.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Spartan 086

New Member
Definately do pepakura. Im only 14 and im doing great. Make sure you read every topic in this forum, and i think you'll be fine. Good luck!
 

Ares

Well-Known Member
Quick question, should you hotglue on the outside or on the inside?
Good to hear your dad's coming back safe and sound.
 

Jim

Jr Member
Ares said:
Quick question, should you hotglue on the outside or on the inside?
Good to hear your dad's coming back safe and sound.
:mad:


On the inside.... There are little flaps where you join the pieces together, you put glue on that and stick it to the back of the other piece with the corresponding number... It really isn't that complicated, just give it a shot...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Ironcobra3000

Well-Known Member
Fiberglassing isn't hard if you read the instructions and have the right equipment :whistle:


just remember a Few things:
-Wear a respirator
-have some form of eye ware
-wear gloves(rubber or latex
-have the right brushes(buy cheap ones, not the 12 dollar ones!)
Bondoing isn't hard either:
-use a putty knife to apply
-use a stick to mix, to help reduce waste
-use only a bit of cream, you only need a bit, just make sure its well mixed, it WILL harden .
 

joshua61991

Jr Member
Use the cardstock man. I started cutting the shapes with scissors on printing paper and I keep cutting a bit extra, this will probably effect the helmet dramatically so I stopped making it and i am waiting to get to wally world (what we call wal-mart) to get some cardstock. Good luck man and tell your dad thanks for what he has done.
 

Tmack674

New Member
joshua61991 said:
Use the cardstock man. I started cutting the shapes with scissors on printing paper and I keep cutting a bit extra, this will probably effect the helmet dramatically so I stopped making it and i am waiting to get to wally world (what we call wal-mart) to get some cardstock. Good luck man and tell your dad thanks for what he has done.


will do man, will do.


and thanks for the help guys. now if only i could get a list of pefect instructions on how to make it, step by step. i wonder..... :whistle:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Jr Member
Tmack674 said:
will do man, will do.
and thanks for the help guys. now if only i could get a list of pefect instructions on how to make it, step by step. i wonder..... :whistle:


Read the stickies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top