What is primer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyclown

hi guys,

I just got done resining the outisde and fiber glassing the inside of my armor. What is primer? Is this the next step? What is used as primer?

So do i prime my helmet or armor once i fiberglass resin the inside? Also what is bondo and rondo which one is safe and easy to use?

You don't have to primer your armor after you finish with the resin, it's just a tool to help you see and decide how much work you would have to do cleaning up. If you are happy with how it looks without bondo, then don't use bondo. Bondo is a body filler that gets you a nice smooth surface when sanded (a lot). Rondo is a mixture of Bondo and Resin at about a 5 to 1 ratio, or at least that's what I use.

It just makes the bondo runnier than it normally would be so you can pour it in your part and cover walls fast, typically. Others use it as a way to smooth the outside of their armor.

Neither bondo or rondo are safe to use without a good respirator. Nor is fiberglass resin. All of the above have very toxic fumes and are carcinogenic and bronchospasmotic (gives you cancer and makes you wheeze). Protect your lungs with a respirator, your hands with gloves, and work in a well ventilated area if possible and you are good to go. A dust mask is not a substitute for a respirator.
Best of Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back