What is too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
I have a question for the group....... I recently peped an EOD helmet. I haven't really hardened it other than modge podge the outside but it just feels big. I put padding inside and it holds my head in place but......I still have space from my face to the interior wall of the helmet......Is that normal? Its not much perhaps an inch and a half or a bit more.

IMG-20160221-01149.jpgIMG-20160221-01150.jpg

I don't do Pepakura, so I'm not much help but I think that looks fine! Especially with the rest of the armour :D

I concur. To me that looks absolutly fine.
And that space you've left with will be god-send if you're looking to put something inside like fans or whatever ensuring some kind of airflow. (no way I could cope with wearing my helmet for a complete day without airflow : I talked to a couple of guys at FACTS and none of them had any ventilation in theirs, and they all complained about the helmet "chocking them". I handed my helmet over to one of them for a testfit, and his response was "oh yes ! I need that too !"
As Mesh also says : once in armor, you're bound to have a certain "pumped up" outline so even if you think now the helmet looks a bit big, that idea will disappear completly once it's sitting on top of the undoutably equally bulky armor underneath.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing there.

This was the original helmet I was building for my son's "1 Month Build" but as you can see.....the sizing was waaaayyyyy off. It turned him in to a HALO Bobble Head.....But apparently it fits me. I was going w/ either an ODST or Centurion Fred-104 build for my build.......only because I think that armor is kick-ass (so is the ODST). I have way too many things on the wish list.......I have this already but I have started on an ODST helmet as well......I'm so confused/torn.....I want them both......I don't have time for both....... as I still have to touch up my son's suit (Wear and tear already.....he's 10 and wears it around the house just for fun).

(5 minutes of deep contemplation......bathroom break)

Ok, here is what I'm going to do.......Since I started working on the ODST helmet, I'm going to finish it to check for correct size....if it's good I'll continue as I already have the rest printed out and ready to cut and assemble. If not......I will already have a leg up on an EOD build.

I think I'm going to end up building both in the end.........I know myself......Glutton for punishment.

Sounds good. Although I'm pretty sure that EOD you pepped was meant for you. :p

Once I get to start making my Reach suit my plan is to make two helmets as well. Hopefully both will match with the one suit and then I'll have fashionable options. :)

Good luck with the helmet(s)!

That was sized for me but thought it was sized for my son......poor labeling on my part.....1/2 way through I thought ....hummmm, it seems a little big. Once I passed the 3/4 mark I already knew it wasn't but kept on going........

At the rate I'm going.....I'll have 3 unfinished helmets.......ODST, Centurion and an EOD......and no suit........

Ok question for you Duke......ODST has full suit set........I don't see full suits for EOD or Centurion in the archives.........are there any or just use generics?

Ok question for you Duke......ODST has full suit set........I don't see full suits for EOD or Centurion in the archives.........are there any or just use generics?

Depends on which Halo game you're referencing.

Reach and earlier only has a few Chest pieces options and then shoulders that usually match the helmet's name.
Halo 4 and newer has named Helmet/Chest/Shoulder sets and then the limbs are more generic with only 4 variants I think.

I think it looks alright... however if I were you I'd try to make the "eyes" to see through and then decide if it fits or is too big. o.o
Like - if the eyes are too high up or something, you'll know it won't fit o.o

Depends on which Halo game you're referencing.

Reach and earlier only has a few Chest pieces options and then shoulders that usually match the helmet's name.
Halo 4 and newer has named Helmet/Chest/Shoulder sets and then the limbs are more generic with only 4 variants I think.

So any set of limb armor would be acceptable w/ the EOD or Centurion....? One of the EOD versions has a visor like opening rather than the goggle type. Since you are acquainted w/ the helmet you sent me......would doing that be ok w/ what you sent me or is that too off the mark?

Thanks Marawuff. Once I put the padding inside, the eye holes lined up perfectly. I'm just concerned about the field of vision........pretty narrow. I'd have to be moving my head around a lot to avoid walking into people and things.....

Just a note on the size of EOD helmets, I don't know about Halo 4 but in Reach it is one of the bigger more beefier helmets. When I pepped mine out I thought it was oversized at first but it was just one of the larger helmets. Plenty of room for electronics in those CBRN parts though.

So any set of limb armor would be acceptable w/ the EOD or Centurion....?

Yes and no. Obviously whichever you like the best will be the best, but when you load up the Halo 4 game (Not the Master Chief Collection Halo 4) and go into changing your armor it will show you which named limbs pieces the EOD starts with. Again though, you are welcome to use different limb pieces so long as you like the look of them.

One of the EOD versions has a visor like opening rather than the goggle type. Since you are acquainted w/ the helmet you sent me......would doing that be ok w/ what you sent me or is that too off the mark?
I see what you're getting at, but I'm not really sure what you're asking of me. Is it okay to hack up the helmet that I helped you print out?? Of course!! :) Thankfully Alkatraz posted above so that I can see what the "visor" style EOD helmet looks like. Maybe he could help answer you on how to achieve that look. As for vision, I'm sure the eyehole style will be fine. Just means you have to move slow and methodical, which is how I envision a Spartan acting in public anyway. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Duke......Yes just like Alkatraz's helmet has the elogated visor, which is the way it was designed......That is what I'm looking to do.....the question is........is it somewhat game accurate? I'm still relatively new to HALO (Still in the middle of H4 regular gaming story-line) so if I go in a modified EOD helmet.....(H3 helmet w/ an H4 visor lets say for the hell of it).....I''m not going to get beat up at the next con I go to? "How dare you put that visor w/ that helmet.....that only goes for such and such helmet.......give me your 405th badge......your out of the group!!!!" or am I just over thinking this?......I have that tendency......A bit OCD about my EOD and ODST..........I better stop PDQ.......:facepalm

Lol pdq. That's a good question. I'll ask the staff. I know as of current, no one gets up in arms about it, but that this is also only the second (or third) year with a new regime and accuracy could be one of their new goals. We shall see shortly.

Looks like I missed this semi recent thread on deployment: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46037

With a quick glance, it seems there are three tiers of official deployment status, though what the requirements are exactly are not clear to me yet. They aren't going to kick you out of the forum (or beat you up at a con) for having a non-perfect suit, but if you start going to cons and saying "I am here on behalf of the 405th!" without getting permission, they will have a problem with that. I'm curious if just wearing a 405th badge would be viewed the same way. I'm going to read through that thread before I ask any questions.

I earned the name FANGS. I like to beat people up. :devil And I totally like to mock people when they wear something incorrectly like one of the chicks in Mean Girls. Muwhahahahahaha
Masterchief0624 and mothmonty have been VERY hard at work coming up with what the standards are going to be and they are super close to having something written up which will answer a lot of questions and concerns that people have.

As far as helmet fits, it is difficult to determine whether or not something is too big if you don't have the rest of the armor with it. Just keep in mind that the shoulders and chest are going to make you look a lot wider and the helmet less big.

And.....Psssssssst......tag me next time and I'll find your questions more easily. I just happened to see this in the recent posts list. ;-)

I earned the name FANGS. I like to beat people up. :devil And I totally like to mock people when they wear something incorrectly like one of the chicks in Mean Girls. Muwhahahahahaha
Masterchief0624 and mothmonty have been VERY hard at work coming up with what the standards are going to be and they are super close to having something written up which will answer a lot of questions and concerns that people have.

As far as helmet fits, it is difficult to determine whether or not something is too big if you don't have the rest of the armor with it. Just keep in mind that the shoulders and chest are going to make you look a lot wider and the helmet less big.

And.....Psssssssst......tag me next time and I'll find your questions more easily. I just happened to see this in the recent posts list. ;-)

With ears like a beast too! :) That is great to hear the standards are still being worked on. I will be very curious to see specifics so that I can keep them in mind while creating my first suit.

The question though moved from the size to the style... Will it be an issue to have a suit with pieces from different games/gens. Like a halo 3 helmet with halo 4 chest? I know they haven't hammered out the standards yet, but is this something that has been discussed yet?

PerniciousDuke - those items will be specifically discussed by the DMO's when they have it fully fleshed out. I don't suspect it's going to be more than a few days to a week now. They are trying very hard to make sure that all bases are covered.

I'm scared.....Think I just HALOed my pants......:(

dirtdives, as Fangs mentioned the helmet will suit your body better once you have the armor. It's important as you move along with your build you watch for symmetry, I know things can go wonky with pep really quickly. Great start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back