What layer height do you use for FDM printed armor parts?

KaraChameleon

Those of you who have printed armor or weapons on an FDM printer, what layer height did you use? I’m coming at this from printing minis and terrain, so normally I go quite thin to minimize layer lines and stuff. But since cosplay prints involve so much post processing I was thinking I might be able to get away with something closer to draft thickness. Thoughts?

It's just a balancing act. I don't have a set layer height I always go with but instead play around with it for each part. I tend to fall between 0.12mm and 0.2mm layer heights, but even that's not set in stone. Lower the layer height the longer the print and the more risk of a failure after multiple days of printing, but higher layer height means more time spent sanding until your fingers want to fall off.

It's just a balancing act. I don't have a set layer height I always go with but instead play around with it for each part. I tend to fall between 0.12mm and 0.2mm layer heights, but even that's not set in stone. Lower the layer height the longer the print and the more risk of a failure after multiple days of printing, but higher layer height means more time spent sanding until your fingers want to fall off.
Or you embrace power sanding and play the balancing act of marathon sanding sessions and numb digits from the vibrations.

I do 0.1mm for small parts and 0.2mm for large parts. Doing more sanding on large parts always feels easier than sanding the smaller ones. Also, the larger layer height for larger prints keeps the print at a reasonable print time

This thread is more than 12 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back