What materials will I need for my helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beserk bob

Hi ive managed to make my first model for the helmet it is a MK V but I don't know what resin I should be using to solidify the paper I was contemplating PVA glue but after looking on this forum I see multiple people talking about a resin what resin is it I should be looking for?

thanks in advance Beserk bob

Okay beserk bob, as I have started working on my own helmet and I have been resining mine, I find that fiberglass, or polyurethane, resin to work the best. This resin for me works the best because not only do you have a place to pour most of your resin out and measure it, but the resin comes with an mekp catalyst which speeds up the curing process for the helmet.

Remember tho, you need to add at the least, 2-3 layers of resin to make the helmet sturdy enough to handle for the next process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few different brands of resin......most can be found at automotive/boat supply stores ..... you also have building supply stores like Home Depot and Lowe's....or even on line.....The one that comes to mind is the Bondo brand, there are more (many) but like I said this comes to mind. There is also a furniture resin. One called Pour on Epoxy or Gloss Super Glaze from Rust-Oleum. There is also craft resins: Enviro Tex and EpoxAcast from Reynolds Advance Material........there are so many more.......Its what you can afford and what is most accessible. all of these are a 2 part solution that you mix together, apply and let it cure (dry). they all work the same, they just might smell different due to each chemical composition.

thank you guys very much and thanks for the advice I was aware fibreglass resin was harmful but had no idea how toxic it Is thanks for the warning

Can you paint over polyurethane and more importantly can you spray paint over it or will I have to get a coloured version?

You have to bondo over it. That's just using the body filler in top after sanding and putting primer on the bondo to seal it and waterproof it. After that you can use any paint you want.

Any specific type of bondo you would recommend for this? and is it possible to use bondo instead of polyurethane resin?

Bondo is the name brand. Body filler or Automotive body filler is the generic name for it. And no....you have to use the resin first to harden the outside just enough for you to work the inside w/o it warping or denting it out. You will be pressing fiberglass and resin from the inside and you need to be a bit firmer w/ it at this point. Once the inside is done, then you bondo the outside..........

Honestly, if you're asking these types of questions then it seems to me that you haven't really researched at all. Don't worry, we are here to help of course, but you really should watch/read tutorials and thoroughly research before you start anything. We'll be here to answer any questions you may have.

Just to add on to what dirtdives said, here is a pretty popular practice: put one rather light layer of resin (either epoxy or ployester/fiberglass) on to the outside of the helmet. Once that has cured, do one or two light layers on the inside of the helmet. Now you will have a rigid, but fragile, shell. At this point you can add a couple layers of fiberglass to the inside to give it strength. Not you will want to start sanding the outside where the details must be rounded, and use body filler if necessary. Now this subject has been beaten to death, but I'll say it once more here, DO NOT USE MUCH BODY FILLER. If you put it on in layers more than 1-2mm thick, you are using too much, and will spend hours sanding it back down. Also keep in mind that not all of your helmet needs to be hit with body filler, only the round, smooth parts.

Due to your questions on rather basic stuff, I'd strongly recommend doing a little more reading through build threads and tutorial threads, as it will help you out greatly to have thorough knowledge of other members techniques before you start!

O highly recommend cer3al killers prop builds on YouTube to start off. This will give you a basic idea of bondo, rondo, and resin.

If you are peping it, you have to fiberglass. If you are unsure of what to do.......read......watch the tutorial videos........re-read and re-watch the videos.......if at that point you don't get it or don't feel comfortable going that route.....try foam........Now if you want to pep it but are not in the position to use resin, like living in an apartment build or have no outside location to work at, you could try using the paper-mace route......using either Modge-Podge or a wood glue "Paint" the outside a few times.....then instead of using resin and fiberglass on the inside, cut strips of cloth.....an old T-shirt works best, and glue those into the inside of the helmet, but it has to be something thin enough to absorb the glue. Do 2-3 layers of that. It won't be as strong or durable but it works.....

what if I don't use fibreglass for the inside? what can I use instead?

So many of your questions will be answered by Cereal Killer's videos. Sometimes you may even want to watch them a second time. I know it can be boring, but it is worth it. A couple hours of video to get you ready for the countless hours of work needed to make this stuff. :/ Not to mention that you don't want to buy the wrong thing or waste it. Good luck and start posting pics when you get started!

I've looked through his videos a lot now but none of them explain what to use if I don't want to use fibreglass only if I don't want to use fibreglass resin does anyone else know what I can use instead I am planning on doing eproxy resin as its ALOT less toxic

If you don't want to use fiberglass, go w/ EVA foam......

yes I know about all the ways I can make it safe but I still don't want to also I've already made the papekura model so and tried Eva foam before and it did not go well I've looked up videos but have yet to find an alternative

- - - Updated - - -

so yes the reason I want to use an alternative is due to the toxicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back