What materials will I need for my helmet

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
Then use wood glue and cloth method. It won't be as strong as fiberglass......but then you aren't using this for motoring protection........

Dirtdives2424

Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
IMG_4423.jpg

Ok don't laugh......The helmet I'm wearing is a combination of foam-board and paper-mache. It's 3 years old and still sitting in my basement w/o a scratch. It's been dropped, kicked around and played w/ by my kids and their friends for NERF battles......unless you plan on falling on your head a few times......it will be strong enough to wear for a long time.

Beserk bob

that looks really good and that's the kind of resistance I am looking for one question did you paper mache the inside and outside or did you basically use the same technique that would be used for fibreglass

Dirtdives2424

Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
The outer frame is the foamboard.....the crown is all paper-mache, 4-5 layers of glue and newspaper and 1 cloth layer on the inside. I didn't touch the lower walls on the inside but enough of the upper portion to keep the crown attached to it. It's the same technique different material. After it was hard, I was able to sand it all down nice and smooth.

Beserk bob

ok thank you I might try this then I have plenty of old shirts just need to find where to get some foam board or I might still use eproxy resin as I have that in my home already available unless in your opinion that will end badly

Dirtdives2424

Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
don't use foam board.........I have extensive experience in using foam board and tried to build a helmet w/ it w/ limited success.......If I had the time...I could do it. If you never worked w/ it ....don't start....Trust me. You have peped your helmet using card stock already....continue w/ that. Instead of resin and fiberglass......use wood glue and cloth.....same technique.....different material is all.

Dirtdives2424

Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S2424
Ok, good luck and good building. Post pics so we can see your progress.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.