What materials will I need for my helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can easily get eproxy resin very easily I was debating using rock as a replacement for the fibreglass suppose to go inside the helmet

Then use wood glue and cloth method. It won't be as strong as fiberglass......but then you aren't using this for motoring protection........

IMG_4423.jpg

Ok don't laugh......The helmet I'm wearing is a combination of foam-board and paper-mache. It's 3 years old and still sitting in my basement w/o a scratch. It's been dropped, kicked around and played w/ by my kids and their friends for NERF battles......unless you plan on falling on your head a few times......it will be strong enough to wear for a long time.

that looks really good and that's the kind of resistance I am looking for one question did you paper mache the inside and outside or did you basically use the same technique that would be used for fibreglass

The outer frame is the foamboard.....the crown is all paper-mache, 4-5 layers of glue and newspaper and 1 cloth layer on the inside. I didn't touch the lower walls on the inside but enough of the upper portion to keep the crown attached to it. It's the same technique different material. After it was hard, I was able to sand it all down nice and smooth.

ok thank you I might try this then I have plenty of old shirts just need to find where to get some foam board or I might still use eproxy resin as I have that in my home already available unless in your opinion that will end badly

don't use foam board.........I have extensive experience in using foam board and tried to build a helmet w/ it w/ limited success.......If I had the time...I could do it. If you never worked w/ it ....don't start....Trust me. You have peped your helmet using card stock already....continue w/ that. Instead of resin and fiberglass......use wood glue and cloth.....same technique.....different material is all.

Ok, good luck and good building. Post pics so we can see your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back