What should I do for my job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koenator2284

I figured this is the best possible place to ask this question.

I'm 16 years old. My entire life I have been very mechanically oriented and LOVED building things. I'm not at all trying to brag here, but I'm very talented in areas concerning design and building, and I love hands on work. From a young age I have always loved Legos and enjoyed watching my friends marvel over the crazy things I make. I got into prop building at age 14 and made the UNSC SAW from halo 4/5 out of cardboard, and though I'm embarrassed by it now, I think its pretty good for a 14-15 year old kid. Again not meaning to brag, just stressing that this is a talent I have.

The issue is, every time I think about college, I get stuck. I can't think of any "conventional" jobs that get 4 year degrees that I am ok with doing for the rest of my life. Engineering for example looks ok, but it would just be a lot of math and computer work and I wouldn't get to do anything physically hands on, and there won't be as much creative liberty as I need for my talents. I figured since this place is full of people who are talented like me (and all of you are probably more talented than me) and also older with more experience, I could get some tips?

So here's my question: What job do you think is good for me? Are there any jobs you can think of that would interest me that I can go get a degree for?

So far what I've looked at that I've ruled out are: Engineering, Architecture, Construction, and Ergonomics.
So far what I've looked at that interests me, but I can't go to college for: Prop making, Set design, Movie Effects artist, Sound Engineer

tl;dr I like to build stuff, what job should I get that I can go into college for?

I know you crossed engineering off the list but it's not as bad as it seems as long as you pick a field that interests you. If you look into mechanical engineering and then join the military you can get the best of both hands on work and design side of the house. Depending on where you live as well military might mean subsidized or free education with x years of service.

Source: I'm a computer engineer that works for a naval contractor who spent a lot of time tinkering in the robotics labs and now get paid to go onto ships and work on things.

" jobs that get 4 year degrees that I am ok with doing for the rest of my life. Engineering for example looks ok, but it would just be a lot of math and computer work and I wouldn't get to do anything physically hands on,

Ohh boy I thought the same thing........ Trust me It's not
Is there math . Yea but its super easy most days.

I work with electronics for a living . Its what Iam good so its easy most of the time ..
My advice .

Learn CAD and other eng software . . . the sooner you grasp * how things are made and how they work * you will be far ahead of the rest . \

\BE safe but get messy ......

I did theatre arts ( tech) as my 2nd Degree and I love it ! but I knew EE is the way to pay the bills. But It was super helpfull to have the eng background to help with theater.

My knowledge of RF solved out nasty wireless mic problem we had for years..

: Prop making, Its artsy Mech eng
Set design, Its Artsy Architecture
Movie Effects Robotics and Automation
, Sound Engineer EE with a dab of physics

all of the engineers I work with get plenty of hands on with the equipment they design. some thing breaks for some unexplained reason that I or the shop full of mechanics cant figure out. they are called in to come and get dirty with us in the field or in the shop. I my self am an industrial field service mechanic(not technician), I am not allowed to say who I work for in a public forumn, but it is the third biggest oil field/ fracking company and we are still extremely busy. If you become an engineer you can always become a consultant and branch out on your own, if you get to bored, but you would have to be really good at what you do. I got over 15 pieces of equipment memorized inside out but that took over 4 years of constantly working with it and I am talking about equipment that ranges in price from 20g to 1.5mil.

have you looked in to companies like general dynamics, boeing, or automotive design. how about computer coding or gaming. I am gearing my daughters right now towards computers, coding and maybe game design, so I am learning as much as possible as well. also look in your area and see what is available already and think where will or would that industry be in 4 years(college) and if you don't see it staying strong avoid it or at least have a back up. any prospective company you would ant to work for check to see if they have tuition re imbursement, mine does offer it including my children. which leads to job perks or bonus. ask ahead, which company will offer more and pay less while its competitor pays more but offers less perks like bonuses child care, medical and dental plans.

good luck and I hope you decide what you want. just remember how much effort yo put into this, how much time you invested in researching how to build these props. do so as well with the carrier you have in mind. google is your creepy best friend.

All I'll say is that regardless of what you go to college for.. finish college. If you go to college to be an electrician and you decide you don't want to be an electrician (as long as you are over halfway through) just finish it. People don't care if you have a degree in the exact job that you are applying for. It's nice, yeah, but they care that you stuck with something all the way through and you got the degree. You can always get technical training or certifications in specific fields from there. Good luck man!

Have you considered a trade school instead? If you like building, there are schools for mechanics and welding and things like that.

There's also military service to consider. It wouldn't cost like college, they'll pay for your college while you're in or through the GI bill when you get out, and you'll get 4 years of hands on experience that college graduates won't have. Plus, there are tons of head hunting companies (like Orion) that'll help you find a job at no cost to you.

In the end, you'll be just as marketable (if not more so) and it'll give you a chance to try a career and decide if you do or don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back