What to use to attach my two chest pieces together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchelonDark

Jr Member
Hey guys so i have just finished my chest now im getting ready to harden it but I wanted to know first should i put in the things to attach the front and back of the chest pieces? and what could i use? I was thing of like a clasp system like how the pipboy collectors item locks into itself but I dont know how well this would work. If you have any ideas let me know!

PS sorry forgot to say im using the halo 4 rougue chest armor by aztlan.
IMG_0549[1].JPGIMG_0548[1].JPGIMG_0547[1].JPG

You can use buckles. They work nicely. Depending on what your chest is, you can hide them too.

And yes,i t would be better if you said what armor you made and what did materials did you use to make it...

I would use a clip! like one of those things that has the three spokes. I'll put a picture if you don't know what I'm talking about.

As someone who has the pipboy that you speak of, i, personally, would not use that sort of lock. As many have stated, a buckle clip would be a good choice. I went to Walmart and obtained a few luggage straps. 7 ft of strapping material plus the included clip for 2 dollars.

I would still use buckles.

It is a lot harder to put the armor on only by yourself, often impossible if you go for some options, that require more hands... Also, going with your hand into these areas is hard. Just speaking of my own experience.

This is how I did it on my own armor.

For shoulders - BIG buckles and straps (straps are longer, but I used fiberglass and rondo to secure them - it might have been overly cautious, but I want to have everything reliable). But big buckles, because they are exposed and they kind of look nice with the armor.

Smaller buckles for ribs. Here I used elastic straps in the back. Why? Foam armor is flexible, so when you're moving it still remains comfy. However fiberglassed armor is hard and when you move forward - your body stretches, so it could either become uncomfortable or put stress on both your body and the chest piece. With that part of an elastic strap in the back, it all remains very comfy.

As I see you don't need it, but I have these small covers in the rib area where both pieces attach together. I used two elastic straps to be able to slide them on and small magnets to have it secured in one place. Magnets are only to keep it in one place, while elastic straps secure those covers on the armor without being afraid they could fall off.

attachment.php

My chest armor looks like that when put together. You could use a smaller buckle on the shoulders and somehow incorporate it with the armor to make it more invisible.
Why did I do it?
I am mostly by myself and I like to be independent. Buckle with some straps makes the armor flexible, that I can lift either of those parts without breaking anything.
It is quite hard to reach any of these areas with your own hands - especially if you already have some armor on. It's just that both of these areas make your arm tired quickly, so you don't want to fiddle too long.
So, such long buckle with straps is mainly done for my comfort and being able to suit up by myself (for example I rather put whole connected piece through my head, but taking it apart while removing seems easier).

Also, I used this buckle too for practical reasons. The armor on the shoulders is quite high, it would interfere with the helmet a lot, making it very hard to move my head to the sides. I'd have much more restricted movement, something I would want to avoid. And this is only with a helmet that fits me perfectly and isn't a bigger helmet, like most people use.
So, now I am able to move my head freely in any direction I want.

Thing is - sometimes you have to choose when doing the armor. Make compromises, whether to make it more accurate or practical. I try to make those decisions and compromises where it isn't as noticeable that I sacrificed something to make it more practical - like I can still glue some things on the buckle to make it look more like part of the armor if I wanted.
But I'll take the buckle anytime for being able to suit up by myself and more vision - I want to be able to see what is happening all around me.

attachment.php

Ok I see what you did and I just might do that :) or try to havent harden the chest piece yet but wanted to have it all planned first! But I will definitely look into that buckle system!

Using snaps and straps is also another good option :) Can be easier to do yourself than with buckles, you just don't have the adjustability (if you want it)

There's a whole range of things you can use but the best ones I've seen is straps and buckles

Is there an advantage to joining the shoulder pieces
with an inline tension Front-To-Back strap/DRings/Buckle/Clasp etc (as in Palmers pics),
vs having the shoulder piece come all the way forward and join the chest with a Top-Down pin & hole ( + lace/strap keeper) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back