What works with Bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talyrath

Well, I screwed up.

My pep/rondo breastplate had a nice sharp corner, and I rounded the crap out of it. In the attached picture, the pink is the profile of my demolished corner, the black is what it was supposed to be.

I've attempted to fix it with more bondo, but it's not working. Fresh bondo is still too sticky and apt to slump, and I'm not good enough or fast enough to carve it while it's kicking.

Is there any kind of putty that works well with bondo and gives you enough open time that you can carve in fiddly detail? I've been considering two part epoxy putty, but wanted to consult the experts before I made the situation worse.

Attachments

• A99F3249-76C4-4463-A0D3-566FAC2F2AEA.jpeg
    A99F3249-76C4-4463-A0D3-566FAC2F2AEA.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 128
I would suggest mixing up very small batches of bondo at a time, maybe no more than approximately a few spoons worth and just slowly and steadily build it back up. Don't try to rebuild it all in one go. Slow and Steady will win out here.

Keep in mind that while you may not want such a rounded edge (as I can understand), it's generally good to have it just a little rounded/softened. Not only does it make it look like the nice sharp edge has been worn down, but having slightly rounded corners helps catch light and can really add detail and depth, more than most might suspect.

Keep in mind that while you may not want such a rounded edge (as I can understand), it's generally good to have it just a little rounded/softened. Not only does it make it look like the nice sharp edge has been worn down, but having slightly rounded corners helps catch light and can really add detail and depth, more than most might suspect.
Never mind being much more resistant to damage and cracking.

Unfortunately, I've gone past that point in this spot and I've also shifted the apex of the corner a noticeable amount. I'm going to fillet the edges once I'm done, but I've got a lot of work yet to fill in low spots and asymmetrical areas.

I use bondo spot putty for small areas. It works the same as bondo but you don’t have to mix it. you could try JB weld/ epoxy putty. it’s fairly easy to sand after. But I find it’s really annoying to sculpt with. It sticks to gloves/ hands really well so it’s kinda stupid. Maybe use both to get a really nice fix. Another option is don’t use quite so much hardener in your bondo mixture. It’ll set slower. Like a pukey pink instead of red. It should still set.

You could build up the area with a lump of epoxy putty, and do a coat of bondo/bondo spot putty over it. That way you won't really have to sculpt the epoxy, or build up a bunch of layers of bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back