Whats different between cardstock armors and Foam armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazzy

Jr Member
Right now I m thinkin about start one complete set of armor but I m kinda stuck at this stage. I really dont understand what different between those two I know paper and foam lol but other than that. which will give best effect? Which is easy? I have done lot helmet in Cardstocks and resin and bondo, rondo thing like that.

And question on foam armors - how could you know where to glue to make it shape?
Will it able to have battle effect on it? Is it more light than cardstock? will it be having problem to get paints on it? or able to get paint match from cardstock with bondo and foam armors look match?

I know I m asking lot questions but at least I dont want to process do it and end up screw something up and waste my money and drop the project and go on different one. I like to research and ask questions until I feel safe to do it.

Thank you so much.

ok look here buddy personal i go old school and use card stock but fight now i'm actually using regular printer paper to trace the pattern out on tin so i guess that im using metal but its the same concept as card stock i think but as i said card stock it probably the way to go besides foam can become a big hassle and mess especially if you get the size wrong. happy building and good luck on what ever you decide to use.

Signed,
Scar 405

Practice with both and then decide which you like best, the best way to find out what's best for you is to get your feet wet and try it.

that is true i guess ur right and if you want to get realy creative try inserting lights or installing a blue relm style visor

I know from experiance that pep armor, If your good at doing details and all will look really good when its done, but some of the foam builds I have been looking at lately look great as well, but when you wear the pep armor, it can limit your mobility not to mention Its a little on the heavy side, this could be because I built the Hayabusa perm armor so there are a few added parts to the standard MKVI armor, I am currently building a foam Mark 5 reach suit, I built the whole suit in 2 weeks except for the cod piece which is half way finished, but when I put the foam stuff on it weighs less and its alot easier to move in, since I have learned how to build foam armor, I don't think I will ever build a pep suit again, but Its up to you and what you like, I would try building both and see which one you prefer
Good luck, Hope to see a build thread soon

You can never go wrong with foam, and there's no dangerous resin involved, which I bet noobs love.

If the size is off, just add to the edges, recut, fill, anything. Its just so easy. There's only 2 steps.

Build it, and then plasti-dip.

With paper, its measure, print, cut, then assembly. Then you need resin, resin and fiberglass, and then bondo. Then you need to put in foam padding so it wont cut you.

Foam, you basically just build around you, using reference shots for scale. That way it always fits you. Then you are done. Its also alot easier to assemble.

As far as cost goes, the 4 pack of sheets of EVA is around 12-14 USD at your local harbor freight. Your hot glue gun can be nice, or the same price as the foam. Packs of glue are 5 USD, Then theres plasti-dip, which is the most expensive part, at about 9 USD for an energy drink can sized can.

The paper, is worse, The 110 Ib cardstock is about the same price as the pack of foam, but then you need a can of resin, a can of bondo, a good sized blanket of fiberglass, and then some foam padding.

The last is durability. The paper and foam will crack, even with 6 layers of fiberglass and cardboard. The foam can not crack. The foam can also take paintballs, although that is looked down upon here on the 405th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back