Whats The Best Glue To Use For Pepakura?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organs in mains

Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before but i've been looking for an answer for a long time.

So, whats the best glue to use? Im getting advice off my dad ' so called expert' and he says if i use a glue gun there will be a big gap between the pieces i stick because glue gun uses thick glue.I also don't want anything that will 'melt' during fibre glassing.

Please reply with any info! :)

btw if your English and you use a certain brand I would appreciate it if you included that :)

Yea, if you aren't afraid of some heat on your fingers, you wont get gaps. Just press down quickly after applying, and itll sting for a few seconds, I've had worse happen. =P

I use rubber cement. It's quick, holds up to fiberglassing, and can be reset if you did something wrong so your don't have a total lose.

I personally like Elmer's glue. Used hot glue at first but got tired of burning my fingers (you will A LOT), then tried super glue and it wouldn't hold the paper too well for me. Elmer's was the best, dries strong yet you get a bit more time to fix a mistake than with other glues. :)

As stated you can use hot glue, super, elmer's, and craft glue. I'm sure there are others also but those are the main ones used around here. I personally use elmer's or craft glue depending on what I'm working on.

there is not a BEST glue, its all a matter of preference.

hot glue- burns, but comes off of skin easily, very strong, and can redo mistakes, quick dry time

Super glue- Expensive, tiny bottle lasts long, insane strong, PERMANENT (american pie 2, remember?)

PVA (white) glue- Cheap, big bottles, what many papercrafters use for professional projects, leaves little mess if done right, little room for error, long drying time

Glue sticks- Dont go here. Cracks with age, ruined my old papercrafts, just not worth it.

what your dad said is wrong, hot glue isnt think really, as long as you press the flap and the piece together, the hotglue is the best,

another advantage, if yout make mistake with hot glue, you can put the nozzle of the gluegun on the bad flap, heating the glue and unsticking it, trust me, hot glue i the best, im english, any gluegun works really, but make sure you get the 11mm gluegun not 7mm, and if your in england, buy gluesticks off ebay, they are waaay expensive in hardware stores

I USE ZIP DRY PAPER GLUE.

fast drying for paper parts
Acid And Lignin Free Wrinkle Free Dries Clear. and fast.....

been using that stuff on all my pep helmets and it very very strong. comes in 2oz bottles or 12oz.

I have used hot glue. Might try the elmers glue on my next piece. Just experiment and find what you like to use. The glue gun isn't expensive at all, neither are the glue sticks. Have fun.

rjg70 said:
I have used hot glue. Might try the elmers glue on my next piece. Just experiment and find what you like to use. The glue gun isn't expensive at all, neither are the glue sticks. Have fun.

in england glue sticks are pricey

Last edited by a moderator:
PVA glue is my choice. The brand I use is "Arleen's Tacky Glue". It was recccomended on one of the papercraft forums I visit. I also use super glue if I need to make a joint stronger or can't wait for the PVA to dry. Also when using PVA glue I spread it out real thin on one half of the joint. Then once I have everything lined up, I apply pressure to the joint and the glue sets up almost instantly. I also use a selection of small pliers (needlenose, duckbill, & curved jaw needlenose) that I use to squeeze the joints together.

Personally I use Super Glue (more specifically, Loctite Goof Proof super glue) and it works like a charm. I used to use hot glue but I found that I burned myself, and the gaps created by the glue sometimes caused unnecesary bowing of the paper that later had to be fixed :(

DoC ByTeS said:
I use rubber cement. It's quick, holds up to fiberglassing, and can be reset if you did something wrong so your don't have a total lose.
is that stuff good to use? i was wondering about switching to that from hot glue (burnt fingeez hurt!)

mooseguy04 said:
is that stuff good to use? i was wondering about switching to that from hot glue (burnt fingeez hurt!)

Not sure about others, but all I use is rubber cement, it is forgiving, fast, and easy to cleanup. I have to ask though of all the people here how many that seem to be real "glue pros" have any finished, pictured, and detailed peps? o_O

Edit: I do not mean to offend anyone, it's just my idea that useless you and your technique are in a way perfected, I wouldn't give out advice. I use rubber cement, but I did try super glue and hot glue. Though hot blue can burn you, it does smell alil better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back