What's the best way to pay a commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefmartin650

So I have a commissioner for a suit i want made. Whats the best way to pay someone for a commission. I am using paypal, but what can i do to make sure if he screws me over i dont loose all my money.

There are a few ways to go about this.

First off, don't buy a suit from anyone who doesn't have a solid reputation in the costuming field, and make sure they have already made a number of good quality suits, and have proof of it. I see a ton of people new to the community who are super gung-ho about doing commissions for other people, but have never made a suit before, and don't make very high quality props. You don't want to buy from these people. Cheaper is not better. The best option is to go to someone in the community who does a large number of commissions, and has a solid history of making good quality suits.

Secondly, how did they want you to pay for it? All up front? All upon completion? Half before, half once received? Keep in mind that if you don't know the personally, he may also be concerned about you ripping him off.

Be sure to keep records of all your dealings (copies of emails, etc) for the worst case in which you might have to contact PayPal to have your money returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back