When is a suit half-decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyShoes

That is, what is needed for a suit to look half decent? I'm asking this, because I don't have the time to really work on my armour anymore (not that I really did to begin with) and am far from completion. I am unable to work on weekends and the biggest part of my school year is coming up so I am flooded with homework. I have a chest, shoulder, thigh and two shins pepped and a helmet resinned and half fibreglassed. I have just over thirty days to get my build finished and feel this isn't enough (wasted an hour yesterday, because the fibreglass I put in the helmet (which would've finished it) stuck to my gloves and all came out when I pulled my hand out).

So really, my question is:
For a decent looking costume, can I get away with only the top half of a suit? Should I try and do everything? I don't have a lot of access to bondo, so could I get away with just resinning the inside of some pieces?

Thanks guys, Squish

You can certainly get away with the top half, but you would have to stay seated or stand behind a wall ;-)

Honestly, I don't think you're going to be happy or feel good with half-baked results. Let it take longer if it takes longer. Every time you skip a necessary step or leave something out, quality suffers and you'll be less happy with the result once you do finish it. And if you aren't happy in the end, the time that you spent building it will have been a waste.

Normally you have a few key components.

-The helmet is the most viewed part, unless you has a weapon, so this will have to be super high quality.

- the arms require alot of detail.

- The suit NEEDS a neckseal, or it will look bad

- Make sure to get long gloves so your pale hairy wrists dont show. (because anyone with a halo suit has spent alot of time out of the sun, and I go outof my way to avoid it, being mostly nocturnal.

-the boots can be 2d and detailless, as nobody looks there, just add some of that black and yellow tape like in game.

-Make sure to detail the paint, have it dark around the edges, and get good shadowing.

-Make sure to have a decent stomach detail, as your plain detailless shirt wont cut it sometimes.
(seriously wouldnt you guys love for me to print up some shirts with undersuit detail on em, heck maybe whole jumpsuits.

-MAKE SURE IT FITS! this is one of the big ones.

seriously wouldnt you guys love for me to print up some shirts with undersuit detail on em, heck maybe whole jumpsuits.
Please and thank you! How much?

On topic, anything is only considered half decent when you feel safe enough to show it to someone you don't know.

Take my desktop here at the house, for example. It's surprisingly nice for a machine made almost exclusively out of used parts. I'll show it to a few friends, other people who might care...but I'll be ****ED if I try showing it off to a stranger without finding the time to clean it out and straighten out the wiring (seriously...it's a tangled web I've woven in there...).

you can certainly get away with the top half, but you would have to stay seated or stand behind a wall ;-)

honestly, i don't think you're going to be happy or feel good with half-baked results. Let it take longer if it takes longer. Every time you skip a necessary step or leave something out, quality suffers and you'll be less happy with the result once you do finish it. And if you aren't happy in the end, the time that you spent building it will have been a waste.

this ^^^^^

In short, thank you very much to everyone who has commented and read.

The reason for the short amount of time is that I plan on wearing to one of the school dress up days, which as I'm sure you can tell is on a date set in concrete. The reason for the question, well like I said I have little time.

@Ventrue:
You're a genius man when it comes to answering questions like these, you always know exactly what the answer is. Like you said, it is all about being happy with it yourself, and I really can be happy as long as I get it done, I'm just wondering how much needs to be done for me to get away with calling it 'done' and recognisable. Thanks mate. (sorry if that comes off sounding rude or something similar, it's not meant to)

Besides, I plan on doing a two-year build next and will (hopefully) put all the bells and whistles on that one.

@Crabman:
Hey Crabman, haha. Thakns for the suggestions, I will try and make sure that they have good detail.

@FineLargeAxe:
I think I'll feel comfortable regardless, when it comes time to where this thing, I'm just unsure how much I can get done and whether it will be ready in time, y'know?

@Hyo:
Short and sweet, but that plus one just helps to reinforce what was said.

Again, thanks guys, Squish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back