When moving tabs around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorvack

Jr Member
So, when moving tabs around in the 2D window of the Pepakura program, where two pieces meet, is it better to have all of the tabs on one part or alternate the tabs between the two parts?

This:

> |
> |
> |
> |

Or this?:

> |
| <
> |
| <

To my way of thinking, alternating the tabs will give a stronger connection, but could ripple the paper... But I'm not sure...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use both methods depending on the seam, but prefer alternating tabs (when the size makes it feasible) because it works better for alignment. Having an alternate tab on either side of a tab creates less room for lateral "travel" when lining up corners. It's also very helpful when there's a slight corner on an edge, because if all the tabs are on one side then it can be hard to line up the vertex on the side with no tabs. That being said, when edges are very tiny (like, less than 3/8" long) the cardstock thickness interferes with alternating the tabs and I put them all on one side. There will be a raised "edge" on all your seams whether you alternate the tabs or not due to the paper thickness. Any ripple effect from alternating tabs disappears with filling and sanding.

All flaps on one side is the best way to go. i have unfolded some files and this is the way iam gona do it. the reason why is simple. if you make any mistakes the zippered flapline habe some errors you can basically ignore. every flap on a single edge ignore this errors and you can improvise more.
the other reason is, that the cutting by free hand is faster because you have many files which large flap-less edges instead of every pieces with the flaps.

All flaps on one side is the best way to go. i have unfolded some files and this is the way iam gona do it. the reason why is simple. if you make any mistakes the zippered flapline habe some errors you can basically ignore. every flap on a single edge ignore this errors and you can improvise more.
the other reason is, that the cutting by free hand is faster because you have many files which large flap-less edges instead of every pieces with the flaps.

Errors? What errors? :) For the most part, this is incoherent to me and I have little idea what you mean except that you prefer all tabs on one side (which in my opinion makes the seam weaker and more difficult to align). If large edges are flap-less, I'm curious to know how you'd attach them...

I use both methods depending on the seam, but prefer alternating tabs (when the size makes it feasible) because it works better for alignment. Having an alternate tab on either side of a tab creates less room for lateral "travel" when lining up corners. It's also very helpful when there's a slight corner on an edge, because if all the tabs are on one side then it can be hard to line up the vertex on the side with no tabs. That being said, when edges are very tiny (like, less than 3/8" long) the cardstock thickness interferes with alternating the tabs and I put them all on one side. There will be a raised "edge" on all your seams whether you alternate the tabs or not due to the paper thickness. Any ripple effect from alternating tabs disappears with filling and sanding.

This pretty much nails it. In the end it will still come down to personal preference. How you begin assembling your parts will also determine how you might want the flaps to be positioned. I could go into further detail about what I mean, but I think I may end up causing more confusion than anything.

It boils down to personal preference. There is no one right way. I go both ways, depending on the complexity of the model/seam. Whatever works for you is the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back