Why do YOU build armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST Blue

Jr Member
I'm not sure where this kind of thread belongs, or if it rightfully belongs anywhere then in my own head but I thought I would ask it anyway.

Long story short I've been making Halo armor on and off for a little over a year now and...suffice to say that the people close to me (wife, siblings) aren't exactly fond of my hobby. Enough so that I'm constantly asked the question of why. Why do I build armor? Why of all the hobbies in the world do I do what I do? And I always seem to come up with an answer similar to "because I like it."

It's something I've never really thought about until recently. Why else does one pursue a hobby if not because they enjoy it? What other purpose does it serve? Were I given some time to ponder the question I might have answered differently. But it made me curious about my fellow members. I wanna know.

Why do YOU build armor/props/costumes?

Is it your profession? Is it to fulfill a personal goal? Is it to show off to your peers? Or is it simply because you enjoy it? I'm not looking for any particular answer, I just want honest opinions from noobs and veterans alike. Feel free to leave as long or short a response as you wish. Thanks :D

Well for me it started out as a way to burn off pent up energy. See I was in school for computers at the time and after listening to the guy in the lessons drone on and on about how they work and why the work, and the online lessons,and the hours of reading book after book I found myself lying awake at night with all this energy. That's when I found the 405th, now I had something creative to do and work off all that energy. And I'll be the first to stand on the roof tops and yell about how good the modelers are on here, their work has been so fun to build that it went for a pet project to my primary hobby. Now that I'm back on my old job welding I find myself thinking about my ongoing builds and the things I'd like to accomplish and there has been many a night I've come home from work at midnight and gone right into the garage to work out an Idea I had earlier at work. I also get the "why do you do it?" question but I let the work speak for itself. And as long as I find it enjoyable I'll keep on building.

I just like building things. Aslo My and my friends just really like Halo so we thought We should Just make our own Halo Armor haha

Well, I've never built an armor, yet. I am wanting to, but have no idea where to start. Skimming the forums down to the ground, but I cant get a solid image in my head for what I need to do and how.

Anyways, that aside, I am a Music producer (my Main hobby, along with drawing). I make Dubstep music, and I am learning to DJ now aswell. however, for performances I thought it would be cool to have something a little bit different to stand out of all the other DJs, So i figured I could put on some Robot suit. (The type of Dubstep I listen and create uses alot of transformer type of sounds in it, so thats why) But I am to poor to buy something, and I wouldn't want an already excising design. Now I am busy with designing my own armor, that looks like a robot and yet stays DJ -friendly. (I need to be able to move normally) I figured I would have to make my own, is cheaper and i can get what I want. first I searched on how to make stuff from cardboard, and eventually I ended up here.

I stilll have not a clear image on how to actually make all this... but yeah, Ill find out how to start somewhere on these forums.

So, thats kind off the reason Im wanting to make armors. For my live-performances :]

I build armour for protection to be honest, and to look cool. I know its no bullet resistant vest, but fibre glass armour with a few layers could stop a knife... or a rock. Also, I could go to public places in it to show off. But yeah, if there's a riot, apocalypse, or alien invasion, my armour might come in handy (probably).
I'm also an artist and I like building things and engaging in craftsmanship.

1. Halo Nerd

2. I like Halo

3. Running around in a "real" suit of Mjolnir is awesome

4. member of the 405th

5. I like the weapons of halo

6. I'd like to have a little bit more than just a few weapon props.

7. Why the ++++ Not????

those are my reasons.

I've started just for fun. I like the halo univers, and when I learn howw to make an halo armor I start to make one.
Now it's for fun and because I love making. When i've stared, I've never build something. Now I love build, test , and other thing that the halo armors need.
I'm a student... Making armor and props is a great thing remove the exam stress and other problems

While I find making the costume enjoyable, the real pleasure for me comes from wearing it. This is why my first costume was a LD piece, I was quickly able to move to the public display of the piece.

Everyone loves Master Chief! I have had emergency vehicles stop and take pictures of me (obviously not while on a call :) ) , I have posed for countless pictures and fist bumped with young and old alike. The costume brings a smile to faces everywhere I wear it.

Also, it's a "year round" hobby. My other major interest was spring/summer/fall seasonal and that left me with little to keep myself amused during Canada's long winter. Now I am enjoying the foul weather by upgrading my costume, knowing it will spark even more smiles at parades and charity events starting in the spring.

I too was one to really enjoy everything about the Halo story from the beginning. What really made me want to build my own set of armor was the Halo 3 tv spot right before the game came out. I set out on a three month long trek of building my first set of Mark VI for halloween '08, and things just developed from there.

On another note, I too get the "why" question alot, primarily from my wife. "What made you want to start doint it?", "Why Halo?", "Why did you continue doing it?". I always had a pretty vivid imagination, and as I rapidly approach 30, it hasn't started to diminish, so this gives me an opportunity to use that to make ideas a reality. I always enjoyed working with my hands, so this just seems like a good way to keep my occupied, and continue to improve my creativity.

-Matt

I've been making my own Halloween customs going on 35 some odd years now and this one just really looked cool. Beside I've done most of my stuff in Latex and/or 2 part cold foam so as to do a full suite sounds like a good challenge to me. And well I also enjoy the looks on peoples faces when I tell them about it...thats always priceless. most just don't know what to say for fear of pissing of a Marine wearing a badge. Ya that about covers way I'm doing this project.**** ITS JUST FUN****

1. because I need another expensive hobby other than custom lightsaber making

2.because I'm just too bad@$$

3.because I have better things to do then play WOW

Being in High School, you get put into your little cliques all the time. You do one thing wrong you marked as a loser or a gay. If you don't do drugs, drink your liver to death, or have sex on a regular basis your considered a loser. I am very happy to say I'm a loser in my school, I have one best friend that I hang out with all the time, yes I have other friends to hang out with but I would rather just hang out with my best friend then go to some stupid party that's going to get shut down anyways!

So yeah, Im what you would call a " Loser " In my school, but the funny thing is, when I come in to my art class and show everyone what I am making no one ever thinks to say wow your such a loser. They all ask me how I'm making it, and saying how cool it is, and how they all want picture with me when I have it finished.

So when I finish my suite, I can say I have actually accomplished something in my life that took blood, sweat, and tears to make. Then I can go into my school walk around and watch as the cliqus dissapear. I know just as much as everyone else here does, that no matter how cool you make your self out to be, if your favorite game character comes in to school your going to want a picture with them. So I will stand there in my armour smiling as everyone forgets about the losers and the cools, and just be themselves.

So when I get asked why I make my armor by people at school. I just smile and say " Because I love it, it is a part of who I am. I have fun staying up for hours cutting paper and gluing it all together, I love going out and resining each piece, and bondoing; I can make each piece what I want it to be, and no one will be think to say what a loser. Because they will all be asking how I made my very own Kat armor."

Thats why I build armor.

1. I love Halo. It was my first real videogame, and i've played it almost religiously ever since CE.
that my

2. I love to build things. After my local Games workshop closed, and after i had exhausted the length of Gundam and otherwise model kits that my local hobby store had to offer, I decided to get into full scale prop making. I love it.

3. I hate most costumes available on the common commercial cough *Wal-Mart* Cough market. they're so crappy.

4.Although Incapable of deflecting paintball and Airsoft pellets, I am confident this armor will work well againts Nerf Weapons and Zombies.

Building things relaxes me and I love Halo. It just made sense to me to combine to two lol.

I'm not the greatest Halo player, and I haven't played in some time, but I love the character, weapon, and armor designs.

As far as people doing this because they like it, I don't think it would be considered a hobby if they didn't like doing it. It would be work. :D

Why? They ask.

I've always been that kid that had the incredibly vivid imagination and an artistic knack. I got pretty deep into my hobbies.
And I 've got a few. From Gun collecting to model Building (Mainly Gundam and no my Guns aren't Props). I wanted to change things up a bit, and get my creative blood flowin again. Thats when I found the 405th. I didn't Join because of Reach, or due to any other game launch.
When most ask "Why?" I reply "Why not!?"

J1014

I decided one day that I wanted cruise at comic con with a costume like I see all those crazy people on G4TV do. Which led me here after I decided I wanted Halo armor for it. And now after just a couple months of working and seeing the progress, and the possibilities of future projects, I'm totally hooked. I will be crafting props and costumes for the rest of my life. It is an easy hobby to get into and fun to see what you can make with some hard work. There is room for all skill levels and all different styles of building. It's a very individualistic hobby yet at the same time its also very team oriented.
I would like to thank all the great modelers and unfolders because without you I would not be able to pursue this wonderful hobby.
Stay classy 405th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back