Why Doesn't Glue Dry In The Bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

City Static

Jr Member
I probably should know the answer to this. :whistle:
Anyway, I was messing around with super glue and I bonded my fingers together, and I wondered... "Why doesn't glue dry in the bottle?"

Could someone elaborate?

Why doesn't water evaporate outta a bottle? No where for moisture to escape. So it stays wet.

hmm never thought of that so your saying after glue realeases maybe so much fumes or something then it will dry and keeping the lid on will keep the fumes in

Scientifically speaking- its vapor pressure.

Otherwise - its gnomes!

Hehe, anyhoo, the effect is the same as water in a bottle as Adam said, if you had 3 things of water, one spread out on a table, one in a bottle - but open, and one in a closed bottle, the one all over the table would evaporate faster than the one in the open bottle, than the one in the closed bottle. It's about evaporation and surface area. It's more prevalent with glues such as super glue because they use a much faster evaporating liquid than water.

what adam said was partly true
it's also because the atmosphere inside the bottle is taken up by the fumes so it stays liquid btu when the lid is off for a long period a skin forms on the glue much like custard and the bottles are treated on the inside to by a plastic that the glue won't stick to

man i know too much about glue :)

I agree with everything said so far along the lines of evaporation and vapor pressure. As was said, water spread on a table will evaporate faster than water in an open bottle. This said, water in a closed bottle will not evaporate (into the outside atmosphere) because it is capped (condensation may form). Next compare 100% acetone or ethanol (or w/e) to water and notice the evaporation time difference.

The same goes for glues, solvents, emulsions and other type of fluids. The difference between glue and water is the solvent which evaporates into the air to allow for polymerization. For example, in the glue I use there is a combination of Naptha, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, and Toluene which are all very volatile (flamable, easily vaporizes, mega boom capacity, ect...) which keep the emulsion in fluid form until it begins to dry, evaporate, and allow for polymerization (magic glue voodoo).

As a budding chemistry major and a scientist this immediatly caught my interest and I felt the need to come up with stuff that made sense. It might not be 100% textbook but I believe my overall thought process is correct.

We need more thread like this :lol:

City Static said:
I probably should know the answer to this. :whistle:
Anyway, I was messing around with super glue and I bonded my fingers together, and I wondered... "Why doesn't glue dry in the bottle?"
The answer is a lot more simple than everyone is making it out to be.......wait are we talking bonding glue or eating glue? I cant elaborate on this if I dont know how your using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super glue, especially medium consistency and gel consistency super glues have a lot to do with contact pressure also. Ever notice that a puddle of superglue takes forever to dry (like from 6 hours up to a day in some cases), but if you stick your finger in that puddle and press down to the bottom of it your finger is bonded to the surface it is in contact with in 30 seconds while the glue around it remains wet? Has anyone else noticed that?

BFDesigns i think you have to much free time on your hands... you shouldnt be wasting superglue, just so you can play with it... if thats how you are wasting your toys next time you ask me to buy you some at the store im going to say no, and no dessert for you tonight.

LMAO novas right, such complicated answers XD
could be explained as
glue is sticky and wet cus theres fluid in it (i.e. water)
when its not in teh bottle-ness, all that fluid evaporates, just leaving the the stuffs that makes your stuff sticky together.

DreadMullet said:
BFDesigns i think you have to much free time on your hands... you shouldnt be wasting superglue, just so you can play with it... if thats how you are wasting your toys next time you ask me to buy you some at the store im going to say no, and no dessert for you tonight.

Aww man, I really wanted that dessert too! :cry:

Actually, there's a certain technique that last one was referencing too which is how to get superglue off of your fingers when you're done putting the Pep files together. You put a small, thin puddle down on a piece of cardstock just a bit smaller than the area of dried glue on your finger that you want to remove. You then press said glued part of your finger down on the puddle and try to make sure that you have the whole thing in contact without excess so that you only have to do this once. Then you hold on to the cardstock and laterally twist your finger off of it. It will take the glue right off of your finger and leave the skin unharmed, and it's painless (feels weird though!). Superglue has pretty terrible torsion strength when it comes to staying on skin. After a few passes, you'll have all the superglue off your fingers and some pretty sweet molds for your fingerprints, and it's easier and safer than getting the glue off your hands with a razor blade.

BFDesigns said:
Aww man, I really wanted that dessert too! :cry:

Actually, there's a certain technique that last one was referencing too which is how to get superglue off of your fingers when you're done putting the Pep files together. You put a small, thin puddle down on a piece of cardstock just a bit smaller than the area of dried glue on your finger that you want to remove. You then press said glued part of your finger down on the puddle and try to make sure that you have the whole thing in contact without excess so that you only have to do this once. Then you hold on to the cardstock and laterally twist your finger off of it. It will take the glue right off of your finger and leave the skin unharmed, and it's painless (feels weird though!). Superglue has pretty terrible torsion strength when it comes to staying on skin. After a few passes, you'll have all the superglue off your fingers and some pretty sweet molds for your fingerprints, and it's easier and safer than getting the glue off your hands with a razor blade.
Unless you have practice with a razor blade......
>__>
<__<
*not a psycho*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back