Why Don't People Type Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
70% of us because we are lazy.

20% don't read what they type.

10% never knew how to spell the word anyway.

I take claim to all of the above ha-ha!

dgj27284 said:
70% of us because we are lazy.

20% don't read what they type.

10% never knew how to spell the word anyway.

I take claim to all of the above ha-ha!

100% Agree :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Tehe I have to say this: The topic title should be as follows: Why Don't People Type Correctly?

CORRECTLY not PROPERLY oh the irony... :lol

cuz bein ignant iz teh win! :cool

As far as I can tell, it's a pathetic cocktail of ignorance and total lack of respect for themselves (and those around them) mixed with a healthy splash of laziness. If something is important enough to say, it's important enough to communicate properly.

Making an occasional humorous reference or spelling error is just being human but these people are going to be in a world of hurt if this is the best they can do. Those are the resumes that get forwarded directly to the "circular file". Language is a gift and should be treated with respect...

Why?

Because most of us here on the 405th are younger then 18 years of age. This meens we do not have the biggest educaton, we are young, don't know how to spell big words, and really don't care because its the INTERNET. If your spelling and grammer is so bad that nobody can understand what your trying to say, then thats time to call them out on it. Other then that, the once and a while mistake is compleatly fine to have.

This is the internet, so we all have the right to not spell right 100% of the time.

Also, pointless thread alert.

1. lazy

2. it is accepted

3. lazy

4. blame text messaging.

(honestly, there's a spell check IN firefox, how can you not use it?)

I agree this is a pointless thread.

For me it's strictly because I'm lazy. When I'm on the internet an just chatting it up with my friends, we all don't really care about perfectly correct speaking/typing. If things like this really get on your nerves, it's best to just give up the internet and live the life of a hermit. ^__^b

I immediately lose nearly all respect for any threads/post I see that have atrocious spelling and grammar. Being under 18 and not finished with school is absolutely no excuse for misspelling words like "status", or not knowing the difference between "their" and "they're", or "your" and "you're." This is by far the quickest way to make someone think you're a dumbass on the internet.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Why?

Because most of us here on the 405th are younger then 18 years of age. This meens(luls) we do not have the biggest educaton(lulz), we are young, don't know how to spell big words, and really don't care because its (lulz) the INTERNET. If your spelling and grammer is so bad that nobody can understand what your trying to say, then thats (c-c-c-c-c-COMBOLULZ) time to call them out on it. Other then that, the once and a while mistake is compleatly fine to have.

This is the internet, so we all have the right to not spell right 100% of the time.

Also, pointless thread alert.

Don't try to crunch me in to your little group of fools... I try my best when posting on ANY site.

When I post, I'm usually making a point. If I want to make a point, I want to be taken seriously. If I want to be taken seriously, I can't halfass my way through anything.

I do type properly. But I'm also one of those geeks that takes the time to spell out every single word in a text message.. :p

But I hate it when people type like this:

"Hai guyz!! I haz da bests gramarrs on teh intrenetz!!"

lol :D

I can see this thread turning into a mess.. But I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

I think it's just a matter of how you were raised interacting with keyboard. For example, I grew up on the computer, I quickly learned how to type accurately and efficiently. In fourth grade, actually, I had a typing speed of 60 words per minute while my classmates were still around 15. So, for me, at least, I don't typ lik dis bcus I know I'm much faster typing eloquently. But if you've grown up typng lik dis den u can typ mch fstr lik dat so its undrstndbl 2 tlk lik dis.

I just think it reflects your own personality. I'd like to consider myself an okay speaker, and I'd like my typing to reflect myself. As others have posted, if I want to be taken seriously, I want to sound as formal as I possibly can, to clearly voice my opinion. But I'd like to be taken seriously most all of the time, so.. shabam. I am, however, subject to saying 'Lol' or 'Rofl', those kinds of things. But it's actually slunk into my speech, really. I say "Lol" all the time, or "Jk," "Brb," etc.

I don't think it's going to change, really, just get worse as it becomes more and more widely accepted. I saw a billboard once advertising a bank that used txt-speak on the advert. I was appalled, but I thought, "Y'know, that'll prolly reach more people because they're 'down with the times' or something." And it's sad, but it's true.

But as far as grammar goes, it's understandable if they're foreign or something. But otherwise, people need to slow down and think about what they're about to say, whether if they said it aloud in a conversation if people would be able to follow it.

[/2cents]

ESL members are most certainly excused for their mangling of the english language. Native-born speaker are NOT.

Hell, most of you European guys have better spelling than a lot of these American/UK kids.

I blame lolcats. Now people misspell things specifically to evoke the same kind of cute, funny reaction from people.

Yes... funny pictures of cats are destroying the world's literacy. We all suspected it would happen one day. :eek

lolcats.jpg

Oh well. At least it isn't that damn kitty hanging from a branch crap. I had about enough of him. FALL ALREADY! ;)

The thing to remember about this is that it is a fad, and that people grow out of it. There's going to be an entire generation of people who remember leet speek or whatever you're calling it now like my generation remembers breakdancing. And in about 20 years, you'll all bring it back in a funny and ironic way that makes it cool again.

Well... I'm off I gotta go wind my pocket watch and catch the trolley back to the apothecary for a tonic. ;)

When I see poor spelling and grammer on the internet, I typically think "Lurn 2 spel, n00b."

But yes, I think that how you were raised has something to do with it. My early use of computers was doing things like writing book reports in elementary school, and various essay writing as I went up through high school and college. After that point, typing with at least an attempt at proper spelling, grammer, capitalization, and punctuation became something of a habit that I have felt no inclincation to shake. Heck, even during games where the communication is primarily in text, I will use full sentances where I can. In World of Warcraft as a tank in an instance, I will say things like "Casters, I need you to keep your distance until we engage the boss, then close ranks to avoid the ranged attacks. Is everyone ready? I am initiating the contact..."

In all honesty does it really matter?

Are you going to fall over and die because i didnt spell something correctly?

honestly... My grammar and spelling online isnt what it should be, but this is because i am usually doing something else, typing quickly and hit the wrong button, or not reading back what i wrote. Now when writing a paper, filling out an application, or any other important document i will take the extra couple of seconds and use proper grammar/spelling.

There are far greater things to concern yourself with than the improper English on the Internet... deal with it.

now instead of bitching, lets all go build some armor... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DreadMullet said:
In all honesty does it really matter?

Are you going to fall over and die because i didnt spell something correctly?

honestly... My grammar and spelling online isnt what it should be, but this is because i am usually doing something else, typing quickly and hit the wrong button, or not reading back what i wrote. Now when writing a paper, filling out an application, or any other important document i will take the extra couple of seconds and use proper grammar/spelling.

There are far greater things to concern yourself with than the improper English on the Internet... deal with it.

now instead of bitching, lets all go build some armor... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, at least your writing is readable. But those people who make no attempt to be readable and can only type in run-on sentences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back