Why You Shouldn't Use White Glue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbio555

I was working on a rogue helmet to christen my new set of MK VI armor that I started, and after being unable to glue a flap on my rogue helmet for something like the tenth time, in a fit of rage, I destroyed it. Now I know what you're thinking, "You shouldn't be so careless as to get into a fit of rage in the first place" And that's true, but I must say, white glue is the most horrible type of glue known to man.

Thank you for reading my useless ramblings.

Oh yes, and to the inevitable "pics or it didn't happen":

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

I was probably more upset at myself when the fit of rage was over than during the fit itself...

Pointless yes, however I never recommend it for my experience with Elmer's glue was during the resin stage I found out that Elmer's resin hates Elmer's glue and eats it. Hot glue on the hot setting makes you a man. All of those tiny blisters you get are like little badges of honor. Remember, it's not a project unless you've bled on it.

Cheers,

Kensai

Scotch quick dry adhesive works pretty good though. I've been using it on my odst and I haven't encountered any problems with it yet.

that sucks : (

I used some sort of super glue in a pen.

IT WAS PAIN.

you had to apply alot of pressure so a little dot would be applied.

I only finished half of the helmet lol

now I use hot glue (Y)

alot better.

kensai111 said:
Hot glue on the hot setting makes you a man. All of those tiny blisters you get are like little badges of honor. Remember, it's not a project unless you've bled on it.

i agree

Last edited by a moderator:
As they say, it's not the [glue] that matters, it's how you use it. ;)

Nuthin' wrong with white glue. I do all my pep work with it.

th_IMG_7596.jpgth_IMG_7920.jpgth_IMG_7976.jpg

If you care to give it another go, just make sure you use a tiny dab and spread it thin. A few seconds worth of pressure should hold the tabs in place so long as you didn't use too much.

But if hot glue is now your glue of choice, more power to you. I've seen excellent pep work done with all sorts of types of glue, so just pick one that gives your the best work flow for you.

I've only made a very low res chest, standard thigh and two greaves, and I'm already put off by Pepakura. How people make HD and enclosed pieces beats me. Thanks for the info though, I hadn't though of using hot glue, or as we call it, a glue gun.

Its how much of the white glue you use thats the proplem. I use it on everything and my pieces come out great. Use little daps on it.

Everyone knows that the mark of a true pepper is scorched fingertips, and muscular hands (from all that cutting, folding, and scoring).

Try hot glue next time. And anger management helps too.

Yes hotglue works wonders for small enclosed areas because you can dab or coat the folded area with hotglue and it will hold just as well as regular glue XD.

the ONLY area of problem might be Super high temp areas(metal sheds, direct high heat sunlight, or near an open flame) because once the catalytic reaction in Liquid resin starts it makes its own heat....adding more heat to the mix is NOT good because it will bleed the hotglue off the area or fold and make it weak.....

so do it in an area with an ambient temp between 60-80 if possible...it will save you a lot of frustration.

112501.jpg

111901.jpg

111943.jpg

Its a wreck really...maybe its salvageable to some extent.

112013.jpg

I have been building paper models for over 20 years. I still say Elmer's glue is the best adhesive for the job.

Elmer's wood glue is even better.

With Elmer glue, you have to use very little of it, and once pressed together, it locks up almost instantly. I actually use needle nose pliers to seal glued tabs together in just seconds.

I use "tacky Glue" from walmart

its a white glue for crafts. Its cheap. Lasts a long time over Super glue and I 've had no problems with it when strengthening pep pieces.

I swear by Elmer's. I use it on most projects I do, including pep and architectural models. I've used it on all peices I've resined, and have had ABSOLUTELY no problems. The trick to getting the glue to stick quickly is to pour some out onto a piece of paper, or plastic and let it tack up a bit. Apply it with a toothpick or something else, I use an old nail file or my finger. And as always, PATIENCE is another key (true for any glue). It's by far one of the cheapest glues, and as such it's greatly underestimated.

So, to summarize everyone's comments...

doinitwrong.jpg

Thanks for the tips... My Mark VI Helmet is doing much better. I'll be posting it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back