Will Fiberglass Be Strong Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke1200

Hey guys. Okay, here's my idea and follow up question.

I am wanting to incorporate H3 Marine Chest/back into my hunting/camping/hiking. My plan is to make an attempt at making a custom Molly Pack that sits on the back of this. I have plotted potential spots on the back of the piece to rig hooks and/or braces to, but I don't want to even consider spending the money unless i am convinced that it will work.

I have several smaller packs that I can add onto this rig (if applicable) to form said molly pack. Potential weight on the back could be between 60-80lbs. Now, My question is... Would this piece of armor, after fiberglassed, be able to withstand the weight?

I know you guys are probably sitting there behind your keyboards thinking "This guy is Nuckin Futz!" I have been rolling this idea around in my head and I have yet to decide if I should try it or not. I wanted to get professional opinions first. I am also open to suggestions (if it will withstand the weight) on padding and/or a quick release.

Here is the link to the Pep FIle I downloaded:

http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/File:H3marine_vrogy_chest.png

I would personally say that a basic fiberglass job wouldn't be able to support that amount of weight (wait for an expert to tell you yes or no); however, it would be possible to a.) reinforce and b.) build your rig "through the armor or c.) build your armor around your rig (not vice versa). By attaching your chestplate to the Molle straps you might be able to eliminate the need for heavy duty armor.

Although that didn't quite answer your question, I hope I at least gave you some ideas.

Yeah I'm waiting for some reticule alignment technology, so I can shoot my .243 with my odst helm. lol

Cheers,

lol... dude its probally more practical to buy proper equipment for hiking, its not gonna be worth the time for that kinda usage

i am haji said:
lol... dude its probally more practical to buy proper equipment for hiking, its not gonna be worth the time for that kinda usage

I understand that and was thinking the same thing. However, It's a nice project to keep myself busy, and hell, you never know. Maybe it might turn into something worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for the reinforced pep to take more weight, just add more reinforcement. A few extra layers of fiberglass cloth (or the heavier fiberglass matte) would add some extra strength. Whether or not this will actually work, however, is up to experimentation, I don't know. I'm sort of running into the same situation. I'm ignoring all warnings and building an ODST helmet for use in paintball, so I've got to reinforce it more than normal.

carpathiavh99 said:
If you're looking for the reinforced pep to take more weight, just add more reinforcement. A few extra layers of fiberglass cloth (or the heavier fiberglass matte) would add some extra strength. Whether or not this will actually work, however, is up to experimentation

I'm hoping that adding extra reinforcement would give the strength it needs. If not.. then it'll still make a badass costume.. Even if the bags arent filled with the items I was hoping to fill them with. Haha.

Another little project I'm hoping to start when finished with this (or even before this) is an ODST helmet with a headset inside. Use the older ODST chest piece with the extended back, slap a thin metal plate on there, and pop my magnet antenna on there.

I'm wanting to make something out of all of this that would be out of the ordinary, even for this site. Have something that both looks bad*ss, and has a semi-practical use (even if it is just for Sh!ts and Grins camping or on a hike).

I have many different strange/idiotic/cool ideas like this. Haha. Let's see...

- Forearm piece with inset GPS (I have several smaller Garmin GPS' to screw around with)

- Adding to the two shoulder pieces from MC's armor two small solar panels inset w/ two 12v batteries underneath

- ODST helmet w/ throat mike leading to in-helmet mike and speakers

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back