[WIP] First ODST Build (advices and help required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBoy

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S593
*New progress pics added on pg 2*

Hello everyone,

I have been working on my ODST for quite some time now. But some how, the helmet seems wrong after I fiberglass + resin it. HAHAHA It seems "long" when I did a comparison with a friend's helmet created by sean. So what u guys think?

308024_10150284748442841_634447840_7525999_1617447_n.jpg

Fiberglass+resin (it looks kind of long right? :( )
306817_10150300528012841_634447840_7651949_62383357_n.jpg

Bondo+sanding
311066_10150321525362841_1588679409_n.jpg

========================================================================================================================================

The thing is, when you scale it in pep, the actual scale doesn't change, so increasing the height will also increase the depth and width. The ODST helmet has always been angular from the front, what i'm thinking is that because of the straight lines on the visor, (Which would normally be rounded), the helmet looks 'longer' than it is, sort of an optical illusion.

The thing is, when you scale it in pep, the actual scale doesn't change, so increasing the height will also increase the depth and width. The ODST helmet has always been angular from the front, what i'm thinking is that because of the straight lines on the visor, (Which would normally be rounded), the helmet looks 'longer' than it is, sort of an optical illusion.

OH!!! SO that's why... hmm so it might actually look right after all the cleaning up huh? Now that's motivational :D Thanks Dox~

hmm wonder if anyone here have experience in scaling ODST armors. seems like my back plate and shoulders are kind of small. :|

Thanks in advance guys~

Great pep work!!! I just did an odst myself and had the same thought about it looking narrow. I made a brace to fit crossway in the helmet (between the ears) to spread the model a couple centimeters. Dont go too far or the pep will buckle, after hardening and rondo/fiberclass cut the brace out. I think it helped alot

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37447-My-Odst-WIP

Yeah, I had some people comment that my ODST helmet looked a bit narrow/longish too. Fits perfectly fine on my noggin', though. Perhaps it will not look that way in full armor (mine doesn't seem out of proportions when wore with the chest and shoulders).

Keep up the good work, that's some good pep! (Oh, and is that a military group picture on the right of your laptop?)

Great pep work!!! I just did an odst myself and had the same thought about it looking narrow. I made a brace to fit crossway in the helmet (between the ears) to spread the model a couple centimeters. Dont go too far or the pep will buckle, after hardening and rondo/fiberclass cut the brace out. I think it helped alot

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37447-My-Odst-WIP

Thanks, whoa. just checked out your ODST build. it looked great and fantastic. Did not have braces on for mine and I just resin over it hahaha. Damn Yours looked really clean and smooth.

Yeah, I had some people comment that my ODST helmet looked a bit narrow/longish too. Fits perfectly fine on my noggin', though. Perhaps it will not look that way in full armor (mine doesn't seem out of proportions when wore with the chest and shoulders).

Keep up the good work, that's some good pep! (Oh, and is that a military group picture on the right of your laptop?)

Thanks. hmm maybe mine will turn out alright too as yours looked great. Btw have you any experience in scaling your armor?

(abt the picture,its some thing close to the military but not quite. It's my student Police group photo hahaha)

The thing newer people hardly understand is that there is no "standard size." The first time I built my ODST helmet it was about 2 sizes too big. You have to measure yourself, and match it as close as possible (accounting for extra room for padding and whatnot.) This is the only way. It may seem long, or wide to us, but it all depends on how it fits over your own head.

Cool. Makes sense. hahaha was a bit worried and demoralized there. I guess the bondo-ing and sanding is getting to my head :p

I'm going to agree with DeRanKer here in saying that the proper scale for any piece of armor is only achieved when it's scaled to you.
The best course of action is to reference in-game pictures and to approximate the fit based on what you see there.

Keep in mind, the dimensions are based on whatever is largest in that direction (x,y, or z) and that there might be something you're overlooking.
For example, you can't very well scale the chest piece based on a length from underarm to underarm if the shoulders stick out further than that.

Buy a tape measure if you don't already have one. Buy the tape measure. Be the tape measure.

I didn't really have to scale my pieces, actually; only the shins needed to be scaled down about 10%. Using Hugh Holder's files, the whole set is pretty much scaled right for a 6-footer; using foam gave me some pieces slighty larger, so I did not have to scale much. To check the scale of pep'd pieces, I usually print a rough shape just to see if it fits or if it is too short (pretty time consuming, though; Mr Rousseau's advice is much better).

Thanks. hmm maybe mine will turn out alright too as yours looked great. Btw have you any experience in scaling your armor?

(abt the picture,its some thing close to the military but not quite. It's my student Police group photo hahaha)

I ended up pepping my helmet 3 times before I got the scale right, I think the best way is to measure from chin to crown and add at least an inch for padding. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and I find a helmet should be about 300 mm to fit me right, as for the rest of the armor I look at ref pics or action figure and then measure my own body corrispondingly, seems to work pretty good.

Hey Guys. I got my helmet cutted and it looks fine now :) phew... pretty relieved

Sides
32885810151886036652841.jpg

27734010151886032752841.jpg

Front (ODST Cook/Cleaner [Employee of the month pic])
42057410151886032512841.jpg

Back
32740510151886032937841.jpg

45 degree View (Hi Sir Welcome to the UNSC cafeteria may I take ur order?)
13257910151886036397841.jpg

It isn't a bad helmet (I guess you still have to clean a bit of bondo) once bondoed you can't do much though to reshape it. When pepping/resining/drying, in what position where you keeping it? Laying on the side?

Yea now got to deal lwith the bondo. I kept it standing while it cures and dries, hahaha... but it looked pretty alright now don't you say? hahaha Although it could be better hahaha

HEY GUYS! Thanks for all the help and advices.. I have advance to finished up the torso and now left with the bottom. Here are my Work Progress... (IMAGE HEAVY)

I realised the SHoulder isn't game accurate so I redid one with Kirrou's model
q0la.jpg

priming
el9g.jpg

bwnv.jpg

88345310152143335902841.jpg

56316310152197317802841.jpg

55603110152200199252841.jpg

52842310152200453867841.jpg

z2wu.jpg

oz7v.jpg

fnsz.jpg

nzqb.jpg

4ouf.jpg

1h8o.jpg

thats it for now guys, feel free to feedback. I am open to all negative and positive feedbacks

ODST's are my absolute favorite. Your build looks like it's going great. I love the crackled paint technique on your stripe. I never thought to do that. Keep up the good work.

ODST's are my absolute favorite. Your build looks like it's going great. I love the crackled paint technique on your stripe. I never thought to do that. Keep up the good work.

Hey Thanks man! :D I love your helmet too, what did you use for that awesome smoked look on your visor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back