Props WIP Halo 3 BR55HB SR Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoMan531

Heygus, ive been knockin out alotta scratchbuild stuff and pepa, in preparation for some warm resining weather. first was the M7 SMG and now its the Battle Rifle. i used WizardOfFlights schematics, he made me a specially sized set, buti couldnt get them to print out, so i decided to print it out in mini on a single page and try to wing it. Removeable mag and all.

Picture182.jpg

Picture181.jpg

let me know what you guys think so far. im workin up an arsenal.

BTW so far it comes apart in 3 peices. itll be 4 or 5 by the time im done, not counting the scope or barrel.

as with all my plan for my props...

working ammo counter, working action, metal parts etc.

Very good progress on that so far, Mondo! I take it you used PVC foam board as the base material? Like styrene -- my other preferred medium -- it's easy to work with, yet still sturdy. That's what it looks like to me, anyway (used that for one or two small-scale scratch-build projects, myself)... :cool:

looks great, cant wait to c how this turns out..

do you have prior fiberglassing expierence? or are you a first timer.

HAHa thanks guys. Im FAR from a noob when it comes to this stuff. i dont like to brag but i beleive i am an excellent fabricator. ever since i was a kid i built and modified model kits and even scratchbuilt a few things. When it comes to fiberglass ive been making speaker pods and body panels for cars since i was 16-17 so thats about 5 years with noone teaching me, i just picked it up and went by trial and error until i could practically do it with my eyes closed.

I used to collect movie/game props but as of 2 years ago i got interested in propmaking. so far i have started...

the old low detail helmet, chest etc. before the HD ones came out (scrapped them in favor of the new models)
BR55
MA5C
M6G-Starting today
HD helmet
Spike grenade
M7 SMG

the MA5C is pepa, the BR55 and M7 SMG are built with foam core board using pictures as references and a ruler + my eyeballs. theyll be finished an detailed with mat board and sheet styrene + some sheet metal and other metal pieces, along with the electronics.

My next BIG project is the Brute Shot.

AS of right now the Battle Rifle feels a bit small and looks a little small next to my MA5C, but when i hold it it feels natural.

hopefully the resin/fiberglass/bondo stages will visibly beef it up a bit. ill post some comparison pics later

Looking good, that material looks looks like it's very nice to work with.

Since you said ammo counter, I assume you've been to my topic. If not, well, I'm the one who you should talk to about those. :D

Best of luck.

MandoMan531 said:
[...]

I used to collect movie/game props but as of 2 years ago i got interested in propmaking. so far i have started...

the old low detail helmet, chest etc. before the HD ones came out (scrapped them in favor of the new models)
BR55
MA5C
M6G-Starting today
HD helmet
Spike grenade
M7 SMG

the MA5C is pepa, the BR55 and M7 SMG are built with foam core board using pictures as references and a ruler + my eyeballs. theyll be finished an detailed with mat board and sheet styrene + some sheet metal and other metal pieces, along with the electronics.

My next BIG project is the Brute Shot.

AS of right now the Battle Rifle feels a bit small and looks a little small next to my MA5C, but when i hold it it feels natural.

hopefully the resin/fiberglass/bondo stages will visibly beef it up a bit. ill post some comparison pics later

Ah... I figured you were that sort of material for the base. I favour sheet styrene of various thicknesses for most of my scratch-builds, though I have on occasion used materials like this as well.

I find both are very easy to work with, build up very solid/sturdy, and in the manner you're doing it (foam core board as the base, styrene for details) go together well.

Sounds like you've got quite a lot of simultaneous projects going on, and none of them particularly simple or easy, lol. I definately anticipate seeing more of your progress on this, dude... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
yea picked up some GReat Stuff expanding foam and im gonna go down to my garage in a bit to grab my resinwork supplies. Yea foamcore and styrene are the easiest materials to work with.

Gokussj5okazu- Yea i actually was communicating wih you via PM askingabout the counter kits, arethey ready? i wanted to also metnion that idk if the 1" display is gonna fit in my props since theyre scaled down. how big is the actual number section of the display? i guess im asking, how much extra, besides the numbers, is there that can be hidden? ill post a pic of the ammo counter area with a ruler for reference.

i didntget to start on the M6G because i crashed after typing that post and just totally passed out lol. woke up at 3 am and worked on the BR some more.

I got some 1/2" electrical conduit for the barrel/gas chamber. heres a pic of the new barrel and a sneak peek as to how the finished model will field strip.

Gokussj5okazu- theres also 2 pics demonstrating the size of my tac computer area ill have a bit more room when the bondo and stuff is on the prop. so lets just say 1" horizontal at its biggest point and 2" vertical. will the 1" display fit?

gotta run to the mall. more pics whn i get back.

Picture183.jpg

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Haha..*facepalm* I feel so stupid now. Sorry for not remembering you, I'm getting alot of PMs and it's getting hard to keep track of everyone.

Anyhow, on either board, it's going to be close.

With the 1" digits, the actual digit box is about 1 1/4" tall by 1 1/2" wide. The 5.6" digits are 3/4" tall and 1" wide. I suggest the 5.6" digits though, they looks more like the in-game display.

However, they don't really matter, since the actual board is 1 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall, so those are the numbers that really matter. From the looks of your pictures, the actual display will fit nicely between the sides, but you'll probably need to make a small channel all the way around for the circuit board. OR, I could change the design slightly so that the display is separate from that board. That way you could just lay the circuit board sideways and wires would run to the digits. Let me know what you think.

if you think the 5.6" digis will look moe realisti then we'll go with those. are there any outputs on the board for additional lights? if not, how easy would it be to run A FEW MORE more LED's off the same power source. namely the 2 red leds on either side ofthe tac computer for the selective fire switch?

also a design where the board is separate from the display would be ideal, that would totally work for me.

now that i think about it 1" digits would look WAY too big. thatd be more for a MC size BR. you dont realize how small the digits are until you scale this thing down. everthing looks so huge in-game. so i think im with you on the 5.6 digits looking more true to form.

i hate to ask again, but could you PM me a shipped price for both the BR and the AR kits? id rather buy both at once. Thanks alot for the help and making a great product available to the community. more pics soooon.

EDIT- MORE PICS!

comparison with my MA5C....360 controller for comparison.

Picture188.jpg

Picture189.jpg

wow im like red in that pic lol. just got back from running.

Ya, I was thinking at first that 1" digits would be closest, but that was just based on game references. When you make a model, it's obvious they're alot smaller that 1". lol

Anyhow, yep, there's one expansion plug on the mainboard that's specifically for additional lighting, anywhere you'd like it. I'll move around some components on the display board and PM you those prices ASAP. :D

Thanks alot, prices look good to me. ill get back to you asap.its been really hard to find ammo counters, the only source i had doesnt answer emails for some reason.

Anyways Stage 1 of the BR is done. yaaaaay.

Overall pic and 2 closeups (cheesy Cyma airsoft ACOG scope not included...need to find a replacement for that)
ANd a breakdown of the separate components.

Picture190.jpg

Picture191.jpg

Picture192.jpg

Picture193.jpg

and guys, ive just decided this is gonna be my first attempt at molding and casting. as soon as i get it done of course. i just trimmed the foam off the mag , blocked off the flat edges of the individual BR parts with duct tape and filled them with foam as well. this is almost too easy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back