Wizardworld Philadelphia 2009, And The Vgxpo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
I came across these conventions today through an old thread. I did some looking about and decided that I'm going to attend both conventions this year. Here's the info:

Wizardworld Philly is teaming up with the VGXPO (Videogames Expo) to bring some distinct videogame flavor to this year's convention. This year's convention will include all the nerdy goodness of Wizardworld (comic books, Sci-Fi and celebrities) with the geek chic of the VGXPO (tournaments, arcade gaming, and videogame industry panels).

And yes, there will be costume contests. ;)

wizworldhead.jpg

Wizardworld Philly will take place June 19-21, 2009 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia PA. a 3 day pass to the event is $45. Go here for tickets and more info: http://www.wizardworld.com/

vgxpo_mainheader.jpg

In addition
to bringing their gaming content to bolster the already overwhelming events of Wizardworld, the VGXPO is coming to Philadelphia for their own convention, October 9-11, 2009.

Events will include: The East Coast Gamers Summit, VGXPO's After Hours and Gaming in the Dark, The R-Botx robotic engineering championship, Anime Gaming Festival, Retro-Con classic gaming museum and arcade, Extreme Masters Gaming Championships, and sooooooooo much more!

And yes.... there will be a costume contest!

Weekend pass tickets for this event are... $28.... let me repeat that. Tickets for the VGXPO are only $28 for the entire weekend! Go here to get them: VGXPO Tickets

All I can say is, gear up everybody it's gonna be a heckuva convention season for Pennsylvania.

Anybody else going to attend?

Really want to go this year, hopefully I can make it to WW Philadelphia. If I go I will try to wear my 405th hat.

They just added Ray Park to the WWPA guest list...
That might get me back there this year, I'll have to see.

Awww man. Why does it have to be during the week I am in Dallas, TX. Hope you all have a good turn out though!

- Adulese

Currently at WWPA haven't ran into anyone yet, but I did talk to some 501st members.

Hey Sean, if you see a Sargent Blaine from Predator (Gun with a big mini-gun) or a Resident Evil Umbrella Corp guy with a mini-gun or riot shield, that'll be my brother. He's also there with the 501st, but he's easier to spot in wither of those costumes.

Cadet said:
Hey Sean, if you see a Sargent Blaine from Predator (Gun with a big mini-gun) or a Resident Evil Umbrella Corp guy with a mini-gun or riot shield, that'll be my brother. He's also there with the 501st, but he's easier to spot in wither of those costumes.

I saw him yesterday, his costume was awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, it was a wonderful time.

I have a whooole mess of photos to upload today, I have pics of Cadet's brother and was that Quadraxis I met in the Mk. VI suit?? There were some great costumes and lots to see.

I'll have the pics up shortly.

No, I meant you rachiav... I didn't hear you very well through the helmet. The other dude there, the one in the Nightmare Armor is non-405th... I spoke with him last year about our group and he didn't want to talk about it. Tried to give him a card and he refused.

Despite your strapping problems I thought your suit looked really good !

Photos on their way. ;)

So here's the pics from WizardWorld!

The 501st was there as per usual. I seemed to walk by right as a bunch of their guys were getting done suiting up:

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

They had some helmets on display... I had to have a closer look o_O :

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

DSC03058.jpg

This was the lone Master Chief in his Nightmare armor.. I've tried to pimp the 405th to him, but he ain't havin it... looks like he got ahold of one of Adam's Assault Rifles though:

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

Halo Toy Heaven:

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

DSC03084.jpg

Some good costumes on the show floor:

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

DSC03177.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

Sweet sidewalk art in progress:

DSC03103.jpg

Choose your universe:

DSC03107.jpg

The VGXPO Game zone:

DSC03111.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

K.I.T.T.:
DSC03113.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

Posing with Rachiav:

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

Celebrities:

DSC03125.jpg

Marina Sirtis; Counselor Deanna Troy from Star Trek TNG

DSC03127.jpg

This is the happiest I've ever seen Lou Ferigno

DSC03142.jpg

Ted Raimi... and thats Erin Gray from Buck Rogers in the foreground.

DSC03135.jpg

DSC03140.jpg

Special Effects legend Tom Savini... this guy was on of my idols as a kid.

DSC03160.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

Doug Jones (Hellboy, Pans Labrynth, Fantastic 4; Silver Surfer, and many other roles.. )

DSC03161.jpg

Kristanna Loken (T-X from Terminator 3)

DSC03174.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

Ray Park (Darth Maul, Toad from the X-Men, Snake Eyes in the upcoming G.I. Joe movie)

The Costume Contest:

DSC03185.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03186.jpg

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

DSC03225.jpg

That's pretty much it... I have to go back to work now. If you want to see more photos from the convention, feel free to look through my pics here: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/Scar.../WWPhilly%2009/

Enjoy,

-Sean

rachciav said:
you got some nice pictures, i wish id brought a camera.
do you know who won the costume contest i never went. though i did think the fallout costume should have won it was pretty cool, i talked to the guy wearing it briefly and he said his friend in California made it.

The entire costume contest was an eye opener for me. I've never actually been to a convention costume contest. Like you might expect, the results are mostly based on unmetered applause and the preferences of the judges... It's undemocratic and I don't agree with the results.

Likewise, the fact that the judges felt that they should be on stage... but not the contestants tells you a little about the kind of people who officiate these things.

Tied for first place: Chewbacca and a Sandman costume (which wasn't very well done but got huge crowd applause when he gassed a judge). I didn't even bother to photograph it. :cautious:

Tied for second place: The Fallout Armor guy and The 300 Spartans

Third place: Soundwave

I wonder if all convention costume contests are as badly planned and executed. I'm a little disillusioned at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back