Not open for further replies.

Rock Lobbster

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Stream Team
Member DIN
S098
20190608_205023 (1).png
Hello everyone and thank you for waiting for the v2 ODST Flip visor tutorial! Since I have made the first tutorial over a year ago the helmet has seen many different revisions. This more complex tutorial will go over all the additions made along with a fairly basic guide on how to make on yourself if interested.
Before we get started I will say that I have 3D printed, wired, and coded this entire build. This has been a random love product that I’ve been wanting to do for a while along with my set of ODST armor. While I don’t have many pictures from the build I will try to provide as many detailed photos as I can.
I also want to not that I do not have many photos but the helmet was repainted and given a green stripe instead of red.
Visor in operation
Parts needed:
3D printed (or foambuilt) helmet
Sharpshooter attachment (Romeo’s attachment)
Arduino
Micro Servo
Male to male wire
Breadboard
Plastic to make the back visor (I used a dyed mountain dew visor)
Vac formed front visor
Battery bank or 9v battery to power arduino
Micro switch
RF Receiver and remote
Overall this will cost around $100 to make
Now let’s get into actually making the helmet
I also made my own 3d printable ODST kit that I will be redoing in the future
All photo/videos are linked here:
ODST Helmet - Google Drive
  1. First I 3D printed and assembled the helmet and sharpshooter attachment. I used this file here 3D Printable Halo 3 ODST helmet Wearable Cosplay by jeffrey for the helmet and the sharpshooter file is not on the 405th but I may be uploading it in the future. Magnetized the little side cam and used velcro to adhere the attachment to the helmet itself, all the wiring is in the attachment so it is crucial to be able to access it.
  2. Next was making a hole for the servo, this was done by holding the servo up to the side of the helmet and then using a dremel to slowly cut my way through the plastic, the servo pokes through to the inside of the helmet where the majority will remain on the outside. I would advise using a fair bit of bondo, modelling putty, or glue to keep it in place as there will be stress put on the servo when the visor is moved up and down.
  3. It’s coding and wiring time! This is the base tutorial I used when setting up the code to move the visor. Modification of the code will be necessary to adapt it to the RF switch. I will not be releasing my code to the public for business purposes.
  4. After doing all the coding and wiring secure it to the sharpshooter attachment visor, my recommendation is to use something that makes it still removable incase anything fails on you or you want to change/upgrade your gear.
  5. Of course you’re probably wondering “how am I going to be able to activate the remote while holding a prop or something?” Luckily for you I have the answer! The easiest and most accessible way I’ve found is to take the remote, disassemble it and rewire the button to sit on your trigger finger of your non dominant hand. That way you can tap the button with your thumb so it is discrete and easily usable. (See photos for more details)
  6. Alright that’s about it y’all! If you have any questions feel free to ask, check out the google folder for pictures taken while the entire helmet was being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back