Would gluing Vinyl leather work instead of sewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I plan on making costumes that involve Vinyl leather and I'm not a master at sewing. So I was wondering if any type of glue would work? Hot glue, Guerrilla glues, Super glue ect...

Glue would hold the pieces together, but only for a short amount of time before it starts falling apart while being worn. When working with fabric, you really want to sew your pieces together.

I'll mirror what Gorgon said - sewing is a core component of working with any fabric. You simply can't glue two pieces together and expect it to hold up to any form of reasonable strain.

Get some scraps together and practise. You'll really appreciate the time you put into learning the skill, since it can be applied to other situations (for example, I've learned to alter clothes and apply patches to clothing since learning how to sew), and you'll come away with higher-grade pieces at the end. You can either sew by hand, or find a cheap machine to sew parts together - my machine only cost $30 and has been a life saver.

Either way: the easy route is rarely the best route when it comes to costuming. Apply yourself and put some effort into learning some new skills. You'll be glad you did.

I'll mirror what Gorgon said - sewing is a core component of working with any fabric. You simply can't glue two pieces together and expect it to hold up to any form of reasonable strain.

Get some scraps together and practise. You'll really appreciate the time you put into learning the skill, since it can be applied to other situations (for example, I've learned to alter clothes and apply patches to clothing since learning how to sew), and you'll come away with higher-grade pieces at the end. You can either sew by hand, or find a cheap machine to sew parts together - my machine only cost $30 and has been a life saver.

Either way: the easy route is rarely the best route when it comes to costuming. Apply yourself and put some effort into learning some new skills. You'll be glad you did.

There is a sewing machine around the house. But is Vinyl allowed to go through the machine Or is it any material can get sewed?

Glue would hold the pieces together, but only for a short amount of time before it starts falling apart while being worn. When working with fabric, you really want to sew your pieces together.

By any chance would you know how to add detail to Polyester Cotton? I know just sewing into could add detail but i'm not sure if that only works for leather.

I use rivets with my 14-oz armor grade leather.
Wouldn't want to wear that thickness of leather to a convention though, it's heavy and doesn't breath that well.

I'm interested to see what you come up with!

I use rivets with my 14-oz armor grade leather.
Wouldn't want to wear that thickness of leather to a convention though, it's heavy and doesn't breath that well.

I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Yeah i thought of the thickness problem too. I'm thinking about using Polyester Cotton. It's light and reflects more heat compared to other fabrics. I'm just not sure what to do for detail.

By any chance would you know how to add detail to Polyester Cotton? I know just sewing into could add detail but i'm not sure if that only works for leather.

To add detail to Polyester/cotton blend you can add interfacing to the back side of the area and sew into it to add some detail. You can use different color threads as well to add higher detail contrast. You can also add appliques of detailed fabric/lace/stitching onto to top to add depth. If you want to bulk something out add a layer of quilting batting in behind, or between two pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back