Xtreme Tactics 101- Look Who's Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Below posts are old news. Go to post #64 for my anouncement.

--------------------------------------------------

Well everybody, I would like to start by saying this isn’t good bye…Yet.

After being here with this community for nearly a year, I can honestly say that the last 4 months here for me were unpleasant. I have noticed a major uproar of recasting, horrible behavior from SOME members, both new and old, and an extreme amount of hot headed noobs coming into the halo costuming community. I have been able to put up with this up to this point, but enough is enough. This once great, welcoming community has changed into a horrid, unsightly forum. Although there are sill a few nice, contributing members here, I am sure I speak for most of them when I say this is just ridiculous.

After contributing a fairly large amount of time AND effort into helping out the noobs, I have lost it. I have simply lost the will to put up with this ridiculous crap that has been going around lately. The constant bashing of members, both new and old. The disrespect, the lack of most new members not reading any stickies or tutorials, and then asking for help. The new members have to understand that you have to work for respect, for props, and for the know how to make the props. You can’t simply expect to join and somehow know how to do everything. You have to work for it.

I remember what it was like my first couple of weeks here. It was sort of scary thinking I had no talent and no know-how. I just calmed down, and read the stickies. Apparently, this common knowledge has nearly disappeared.

The disrespect that has been going around against mods and members, both new and old has just been terrible. Everybody here has to remember, the mods here moderate 100% voluntarily. They put up with out crap for free! Respect and honor them for that! The experienced older members are also here 100% voluntarily. We put up with peoples questions with as much grace as humanly possible. The newer members picking on the other newer members, its just terrible. Just because of somebody’s views on things are different, or somebody gives somebody the wrong answer to a question gives nobody any right to flame them for it!

The recasting is simply beyond bad. Multiple members have left because of it, and they were extremely skilled. I know this is beyond a lot of peoples reach, but you can prevent recasting. Simply don’t sell to members you don’t trust. Check through their contributions to the community BEFORE selling them the item. Remember, recasting is bad, unless you are given permission by the creator of the original prop, or ‘master’.

Also these “witch hunts” people have been going on against recasters, please stop. Remember, everybody is innocent until proven guilty.

So, although I am not leaving let, if this keeps up, I will have no choice but to leave.

Everybody, just remember what the 405th stands for; Honor, Armor, Unity.

(Taken from the ‘Have a Question? Don’t Bother With a Thread” thread.)

Honor: It is not by mere chance that honor is first. Among this group integrity, trustworthiness, and respect are among the most important things. Respect others, and you will be respected. Everyone's work has value, respect that. It may not be the equal of the best armor here, but it is the creator's best effort. Do not diminish this. Offer polite, constructive criticism. Otherwise keep you mouth shut.

Armor: This site is devoted primarily to armor and Halo armor in particular. Props and costuming are important, but remember this, the armor is what separates the Chief from every other UNSC rank and file. Halo costuming is foremost here, but any sci-fi armor/costuming has a place. The craft is enriched by input from outside the direct genre. With this in mind, keep your topics and posts in line with this as much as possible. This is a community, and discussions outside of the genre will invariably crop up, but remember: it's all about the armor.

Unity: We are a team, a community. As the 405th moves into the public stage, we will prosper or fail as a team. Stand with your fellow costumer. This connects with the Honor part. Respect the work of your fellow creators, offer encouragement when possible, criticism when appropriate, and humor as needed. This community is becoming pretty close knit. As you enter it, realize that you will be judged not by the quality of your armor, but by the quality of your character.

So everybody, please follow those 3 main guidelines. We have already lost many members to things like recasting, disrespect, and flaming. Lets try and not loose another.

With regards,

Jake.

I've learned to ignore the noobs that have not even tried to read the stickies. I only respond to those who have questions that can't be answered by searching around the forums. I started out as a lurker and just looked at everything and soaked up all the info I could before making an account. I've made maybe 2 or 3 question threads but I haven't been bashed for any of them.

Welcome to being a forum veteran.

My advice? Put up or shut up. Seriously.

You can't stop newbs from being n00bs, and recasting is always a potential problem. You just can't moderate or prevent either occurrence.

Arcanine said:

You can't stop newbs from being n00bs, and recasting is always a potential problem. You just can't moderate or prevent either occurrence.

I do agree with you, but you should've been a little bit less harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcanine said:

And thats what this topic is about. Memebers who say stuff like that. Constantly putting people down.

Thats just sad.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
And thats what this topic is about. Memebers who say stuff like that. Constantly putting people down.

Thats just sad.

You have my pity. Just be strong and hang in there. It would be a shame to lose a wonderful member such as yourself due to the stupidity of others.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
After being here with this community for nearly a year, I can honestly say that the last 4 months here for me were unpleasant. I have noticed a major uproar of recasting, horrible behavior from SOME members, both new and old, and an extreme amount of hot headed noobs coming into the halo costuming community.

Strangely enough, this is a pretty big generalization. I agree, the Noob Forum isn't that great, but most people seem to stay respectful everywhere else. There is a report button, you know.

After contributing a fairly large amount of time AND effort into helping out the noobs, I have lost it. I have simply lost the will to put up with this ridiculous crap that has been going around lately. The constant bashing of members, both new and old. The disrespect, the lack of most new members not reading any stickies or tutorials, and then asking for help. The new members have to understand that you have to work for respect, for props, and for the know how to make the props. You can’t simply expect to join and somehow know how to do everything. You have to work for it.

Not everyone that joins a site after seeing cool armor is going to immediately slow down to a slug's pace and read for well over 2 hours. Some people prefer tips from other people's experiences than a tutorial. Again, however, the Noob Forum could use improvement, but using that as your basis for the site is quite naive.

I remember what it was like my first couple of weeks here. It was sort of scary thinking I had no talent and no know-how. I just calmed down, and read the stickies. Apparently, this common knowledge has nearly disappeared.

You =/= Other People. Not everyone likes reading a novel as soon as they join a site.

Everybody here has to remember, the mods here moderate 100% voluntarily. They put up with our crap for free!

Doesn't mean mods can be disrespectful. I admit, it's uncommon and usually called for, but on some occasions someone will be in a pissy mood and, in turn, piss other people off. As for members disrespecting each other, I think it mainly starts when someone decides to:

1. Purposely start a mini turf war

2. Act like a monkey with internet access

The recasting is simply beyond bad. Multiple members have left because of it, and they were extremely skilled. I know this is beyond a lot of peoples reach, but you can prevent recasting. Simply don’t sell to members you don’t trust. Check through their contributions to the community BEFORE selling them the item. Remember, recasting is bad, unless you are given permission by the creator of the original prop, or ‘master’.

This shouldn't be compelling you to leave. Maybe you can help by warning people selling props or casts? Either way, the more popular Halo costuming gets, the more recasters there will be. It is inevitable, and everyone here needs to either start background checking who they're selling to, or just stop whining altogether.

Also these “witch hunts” people have been going on against recasters, please stop. Remember, everybody is innocent until proven guilty.

People usually have a very good reason for suspecting that someone is recasting.

So, although I am not leaving let, if this keeps up, I will have no choice but to leave.

Everybody, just remember what the 405th stands for; Honor, Armor, Unity.

Even though the people who are breaking the rules don't actually give a crap about those three attributes.

So everybody, please follow those 3 main guidelines. We have already lost many members to things like recasting, disrespect, and flaming. Lets try and not loose another.

I agree, a lot of the more experienced members are indeed leaving, but many talented people are joining as well. Many new members have just as much, if not more talent, than many people who have left. If you simply want the others to stay, there's always Windows Live Messenger.

I think people should actually try to fix the problems with something that doesn't involve 10 minutes of reading. I'm pretty sure that if someone doesn't want to read the stickies, they're not going to read a long, drawn out explanation of why they should read the stickies. If people actually used the report button, that'd help too. Perhaps people who frequent the site more often than most current mods should be made moderators. People need to stop coming up with ideas for problems and test them already.

Putting people down? How the hell am I putting anybody down?

Take a good look. The only way you're ever going to stop 'n00bs' from coming onto the forum is by thoroughly moderating every new arrival - this is time-consuming and unfair to both the selected 'recruitment team' and to the members themselves. Otherwise, having n00bs is the price you're going to have to pay for an otherwsie decent forum. Every single forum out there has them, so really. Just put up with it, or leave. Nobody' stopping you either way.

Second: yeah, you can sell to people you trust. But how can you prove that trust? What's to say anyone can't get a hold of your work and re-cast it? There is no failsafe way to prevent it, ever. Therefore, again. You have to put up with it, and report it when it happens to make sure the culprits don't get away with it.

Still going to sit there and complain? Or have I made my point?

Do yourself a favor and just drop this topic. Your a troll, and I don't think anybody here wants to read your ideas on the subject. I am literally 2 steps away from quitting right now. So (pardon me, but it has to be said) piss off.

I wonder if a lot of this is because when I started my new job, I haven't been able to be around the forums. The staff is going to have to brainstorm to bring the reigns back in on this stuff.

Adam said:
I wonder if a lot of this is because when I started my new job, I haven't been able to be around the forums. The staff is going to have to brainstorm to bring the reigns back in on this stuff.

4,444th post, amazing.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Do yourself a favor and just drop this topic. Your a troll, and I don't think anybody here wants to read your ideas on the subject. I am literally 2 steps away from quitting right now. So (pardon me, but it has to be said) piss off.

You really need to revise your definition of troll. The guy has a legitimate argument, that you can't change how noobs and recasters act, and that you should either deal with it (stay) or not deal with it (leave). Regardless of his presentation, you need to stop taking it so personally and think about it. Threatening to leave is like a terrorist threatening not to bomb a building if they don't get enough attention.

EDIT: QFT above post, also.

Dont leave! It would be sad to see you go!

But seriously, both of you stop it. You cant have it all ways but you gotta learn when to back down.

Arcaine, you've said your point, he thinks its wrong, just leave it. If you think hes being unreasonable just dont say anything and move on. Dont hijack his thread and put him down. He's obviously not feeling great.

Xtreme, take a break! Maybe take a few weeks of visiting the forums and come back later! You dont have to leave for ever. I'm sure every noob you've helped has appreciated it in someway. Even if they dont express it!

Please think about it,

Charlie

Although it is not anything that would cause me to go away I have noticed that there are more people here who use horrible grammar or seem to not know how you actually talk to another person.

Hell there is even a person posting in this thread that seems to post something negative about another person all the time, or just plain doesn't know how to talk to another person politely.

I believe it is because the 405th has now become a common sight on Bungie's front page. We all know that the Bungie.net forums can be a rough place, and exposure on Bungie brings some people like that here. At the same time we want exposure because maybe one day the 405th will become the official costuming group. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I would tough it out for now Xtreme, I may not agree with you all the time but it would not be good to see you go.

It is just a matter of educating all the noobs, if they do not read stickies educate them, if they use horrible grammar educate them, if they are mean spirited educate them, etc...

The 405th is a great place, so when it comes down to it all you have to do is KEEP IT CLEAN

Adam said:

I have to say, I have noticed things go downhill when you aren't around posting in peoples threads and stuff. I suppose that presence is important, and ive found that on the forums I own.

Also, I think that it would be a good idea to code in a page on the sign up page which has say a timer as long as the noob orientation video, so that they cant skip it and have to watch or listen to it. Ive also seen sites that do this, and also the timer is coded to pause if you change window or go to another tab.

It all seems to have gotten extremely frustrating with noobs in the last few weeks really which to me is strange when everyone is supposed to be back at school. The last few weeks I find my self only coming back here once or twice per day, rather than every 5 minutes :p.

Its just kinda annoying seeing the same threads over and over, and also getting 10pms per day asking me to sell them a Rube helmet, or asking for the files for the rube helmet etc!

Overall though, I love the 405th, and if you need any help cleaning things up, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back