Ye Olde List Of Nicknames, Abbreviations, And Other Assorted Words You May Not Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice198

Alright, as many of you know, in the world of costuming, there is a whole lotta lingo and jargon to be learned. Hopefully, after reading the following list(s) you will have a better sense of things and what they mean. Ill try to break these down into sections as you would see in the Creation Discussion section. Lets begin.

I. Pepakura and Cardboard Discussion
1. Pep, Pepa- all refer to Pepakura, a paper folding program useful for making models
2. Fiberglass- Comes in 2 forms, cloth and mat (short fibers in random fashion pressed together), for use with resin
3. Resin- Short for Polyester Resin, highly toxic chemical, very useful for strengthening armor, for best performance, use with Fiberglass (see above)
4. Scoring- applying some form of pressure that will last to make a pepakura fold easier
5. Bondo- (The brand name) A thick mixture put onto a pepakura piece after resining and fiberglassing to smooth out the model, much sanding is requied to get it as smooth as you want.
6. Rondo/ Mud- A mixture of Bondo and Resin; created by Sigma(?)
7. Hardener- aka- Catalyst, a MUST for resin and bondo if you would like it to work properly. Helps to quicken the process of resin curing.
8. CB- Simply put, Cardboard
9. Cardstock- Thick paper used with pepakura (most often 110lb is used)
10. WIP- Work in Progress
11. Cure- the verb used with the process of resin hardening
12. Aqua Resin- a non toxic resin that can be used the same as polyester resin, however, when sanding, use a respirator*
~More to Potentially be Added~
This isnt a direct section, but nonetheless, its important.
II. Safety
1. Respirator- something worn over the face to protect lungs and assorted organs from the harmful fumes of Resin
2. Cartridges- the part that attaches to the respirator, also, the part that does the "blocking" of the fumes- should be changed either after 24 hours of use or one a month.
3. Goggles- self explanatory, used to protect the eyes from splashing and other airborn matter
4. Fingersavers, aka Rubber Gloves! Protect your hands from resin burn and other toxic armor making material with gloves.
~Potential to have more Added~
III. Molded Armor Discussion
1. Mold- Flexible rubber layer that you are brush on to the model
2. Model- The object what you want to make a mold from, your sculpt
3. Jacket- hard supporting jacket for the flexible rubber mold, it keeps the mold in the right place
4. Cast- The product after putting the plastic into the mold and letting it cure.
5. Vacuum form- process of using heated plastic and a vacuum pump to make cheap, rigid recasts of a model
6. Pull- result of a vacuum form process
7. Platen- a piece of material used to lift the model of the vacuum form table
~Potentially More to Come~
IV. Everything Halo
Armor Variants (humans):
Mark VI- Standard armor in Halo 3/H2
Mark V- Standard in H1, helmet unlockable in H3
Mark IV- Halo Wars armor
CQB- Close Quarters Battle
EOD- Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Hayabusa- Ninja armor, simply put
Recon- Short for reconaissance, Only available to staff and those deemed worthy
ODST- Orbital Drop Shock Troopers- helmet only
Rogue- Helmet only, pretty cool looking
Security- Bubble visor helmet
EVA- Extra-Vehicular Activity
Scout- Sneaky armor
Other Types of Armor (marines):
Marine- Basic infantry armor, Spase made some of it quite nicely =P
ODST- seen above, special troops, drop down in pods and help you
V. Classifieds
1. FS- For sale, someone is putting something up for sale
2. WTS- Want to sell, again someone is putting something up for sale
3. WTB- Want to buy, someone is wanting to buy an item
4. Trading- Someone is looking to exchange their item for someone else's item
5. FT- For trade (see trade above)
6. Run- A series of casts from a mold being sold
7. Sold- The seller got the deal, and puts that title up to show people it is no longer up for sale
~More to be potentially added~
VI. Assorted Armor Tech/ Detail Parts
1. HJC Visor- Motorcycle visors commonly used for helmet visors, $20-60, available in many colors
2. LED- Light Emitting Diode- a small little light that people use on the side of their MKVI helmets for detail
3. Velcro- used for attaching armor, and strapping purposes
4. Buckles- like velcro, used for attaching armor
VII. Armor Parts
1. Helmet- Head protector, many people start with this
2. Chest/ Backpack- self explanatory on where it goes, the biggest piece to make
3. Shoulders- Upper arm piece
4. Forearm- Lower arm piece
5. Handguard- Hand Piece
6. Cod- The belt or as many know it, The Space Diaper
7. Thighs- Upper legs
8. Calves- Lower legs
9. Boots!- Feeties!

Well, this is what Ive got for now. Ill most likely be coming back to this to add more.
For whats here, tell me what you guys think.
- Ice

Off topic slightly, but any chance here for a sticky? = )

~EDIT~ Armor Variants added ~EDIT~
~EDIT~ Edits Made xD ~EDIT~
~EDIT~ Classifieds, Assorted Armor Tech/ Detail Parts, and Armor Parts Added ~EDIT~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, took me a fair amount of time, Ill get to adding more about general stuff later, and maybe even for complete noobs that come in (like I did) add some Halo terms too.
- Ice

Ice said:
III. Molded Armor Discussion
1. Mold- Flexible rubber layer that you are brush on to the model
2. Model- The object what you want to make a mold from
3. Jacket- hard supporting jacket for the flexible rubber mold, it keeps the mold in the right place
4. Cast- The product after putting the plastic into the mold and letting it cure.
~Potentially More to Come~

Well, this is what Ive got for now. Ill most likely be coming back to this to add more.
For whats here, tell me what you guys think.
- Ice

Add Sculpt to your model definition. And add:

5. Vacuum form- process of using heated plastic and a vacuum pump to make cheap, rigid recasts of a model
6. Pull- result of a vacuum form process
7. Platen- a piece of material used to lift the model of the vacuum form table

Ice said:
2. Fiberglass- Comes in 2(?) forms, cloth, shredded (into resin, see below) for use with resin
Two forms: cloth and mat. FB cloth is made of fiberglass fibers weaved together like a cloth. On the other hand, mat is made up of short fiberglass fibers arranged in random fashion and pressed together.

3. Resin- Short for Polyeurethane Resin, highly toxic chemical, very useful for strengthening armor, for best performance, use with Fiberglass (see above)
I believe you're thinking of polyester resin, not polyurethane. The latter is used for casting.

5. Bondo- A thick mixture put onto a pepakura piece after resining and fiberglassing to smooth out the model, much sanding is requied to get it as smooth as you want.
A brand name of plastic body fillers used for detailing armor pieces.

11. Cure- the verb used with the process of resin drying/ hardening
Drying actually refers to the evaporation of the liquid solvent and there is no chemical action that occurs here. Curing, though, is a chemical process.

In addition, spartan1234 is correct about EVA: it's Extra-Vehicular Activity, hence the acronymn E.V.A. The term "recon" is short for "reconnaissance", which means the active scouting of the enemy's activities. And EOD means Explosive Ordnance Disposal (no "i" in ordnance).

Thank you, Ice, for the list of jargons on this site. Makes it easier for me to figure out what others are talking about!

odie1kenobi said:
Thank you, Ice, for the list of jargons on this site. Makes it easier for me to figure out what others are talking about!
No problemo, I remember when I first joined here, I was thinking to myself "what the heck is that?" I figured this would hlep people out so they dont have to think that.
- Ice

darkesword2020 said:
It's nice to see people willing to help others get started.

Good of you mate.
Thanks Fitz, yea, its nice to have a helping hand when going into something new and unfamiliar.
- Ice

rvb4life said:
sticky this!

DO EET NOW
Heh, thanks for the support RVB.
Also, Im still looking to add more to this, if you have any ideas on what to add, either post here or PM me.
- Ice

Lord of Midgard said:
(y) +1 vote for sticky
Thanks guys, and at Arbiter, Thanks for the idea, I may consider adding in a Members's section for abbreviations and nicknames.
- Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back