Yet Another Foam Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dox

Hey all! After a long break from my original build, and having finally finished (mostly) my Bradley ODST, I've decided to start my Chief in earnest, and hopefully do him the justice he deserves! Without further ado so basic and uninspired pictures!

I'm starting with the arms as thanks to EVAkura there are some fantastic guides available. These are my 6th attempt at building the shoulders, a desire for perfection is slowing me down and losing me hair.

ixZQ8TV.jpg
Ve5qbj0.jpg

For those attempting to follow EVAkuras shoulder guide, I strongly recommend cutting the detail parts that are being raised with an outward angle, approximately 30 degrees. this ensures that where the raised part meets the base the fit is snug, especially if bumped or stretched.

6oaa3SZ.jpg
NBQHOVC.jpg
Making sure to take regular breaks to rest my eyes and fingers ;).

With the next two days off and an expensive order of Plastidip (which is marvelously difficult and expensive to acquire in Australia) expected, I hope to have more photos for you soon!

Finished them up today! Small revelation which will help a lot with the rest of the suit; I discovered a way to make crisp neat lines without having to scalpel out 45 degree valleys. I figure it's probably common knowledge here, but by cutting 2-3 mil deep and then exposing the surface of the foam to heat, and then stretching it a little, the foam spreads away from the cut, leaving nice, crisp indentations. On to the biceps!
lw5c4U8.jpg
AD8wDwk.jpg

Looking good. I really enjoy watching foam builds. Pep is great but straight forward. Foam you really have plan it out. Have you seen evakuras' facebook page. He has built some great stuff.

Subbed

Edit: fat fingers

I really want to start a foam build using files, but I'm so computer dumb that I'd need somebody to do all of the work with sizing and send me the files to print.

Hey all! Small update; got the biceps finished, I'll post a photo of them when I have them attached to the shoulders. Big order of plastidip incoming too!

CkAKRp5.jpg

I'm also looking around for painting techniques to achieve the subtle scratching that we see ingame on the spartan armour. So far the best technique I can think of would involve silver paint on a single paintbrush bristle, and than randomly running it in small lines across the surface of the armour...

Also researching paints for the surface; some of the ones I've used in the past on trial pieces of foam cracked with movement, so I'm hoping to come across something with a little more flex.

Forearms next!

Ugh, disaster! After spending the last three days painstakingly working on the forearms, I've started to assemble them only to discover they're way too large!

The test pieces I printed had the perfect length, but having long limbs means there's a solid two centimetres gap between my arm and the foam.

With this in mind I'm going to reprint the templates at a smaller size and then modify each one to be approximately two centimetres longer so they keep their form fitting size whilst maintaining decent length.

I'll post some photos soon, provided I don't get too distracted by Fallout...

Continuing my trend of being unable to finish things satisfactorily the firs time, here are some pictures of the nearly perfect forearms!

l3y6Fek.jpg
BN37rcN.jpg
UkXZx98.jpg
siLujTQ.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality, iPhone is on the fringe of death.

Anyway, I've got cutting to do!

looks really cool. great pieces so far. lines are smooth and straight. The seams are almost invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back