Yet Another Iron Man Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've started building a new Iron Man helmet for my friend. I guess my finish date will be for the new movie but that's not confirmed. My plan for this helmet is to have all the bells and whistles...or...most. The eyes will light up and atleast the facplate will automatically flip up, maybe the jaw will extend. Its going to be painted gold and red, of course.

A few things about the build so far, I've only pepped, but I plan to resin this weekend if I can find a warmish spot. the helmet is a bit warped but not everything is aligned and there are NO supports yet. As you can see, it's held together by binder clips.

PICS!
4193910803_329dd95dd1_b.jpg

4194666778_79f23c3a2f_b.jpg

4194667528_63ce2a1cfb_b.jpg

4193912891_016b84b2f6_b.jpg

4193913591_e77f568ea5_b.jpg

4193914269_a31634e1ed_b.jpg

4193914963_d74fc4dbf3_b.jpg

A few questions or more things that I still have'nt figured out...

How do you get the lights to light up? I found that reflecting LED's off sunglass lenses, but I dont know if this is the best.

How can I get the faceplate to automaticly lift up? Im working out a motor lift system but havent gotten it to work yet.

Lastly, when people resin or mold, do they do it in two part, like helmet and face, or full helmet all at once and cut it later?

Quick update I'd like to mention real quick. While, no, I did not resin and fiberglass like I wanted to, I DID add supports. It's not alot of progress but I want to say when all those supports went in and got glued on they made the model so freaking tight and rigid. Like, I'm almost uncertain I put them in there right, because I'm afraid that if I sneeze near it, it'll blow up. It's pull so tightly in some areas that is threating to break itself apart, or tear the supports off. While it doesn't look much different (why I'm not posting pictures) it sure does feel different.

Actually, I'd like to know if the same kind of thing happened to anyone else. Did anyone else's model, that is if you've built a complete one with supports, do this? I hope I'm not the only one.

Welcome to the Iron Man costume crowd! We need a separate forum or something, as this IS a Halo forum.

If I understand your question correctly about the helmet pulling itself apart, no. My helmet doesn't seem to want to self-destruct quite yet. I've found that the supports that go in front of the ear pieces to be somewhat unnecessary, but the other supports are a must. Before I put them in I thought I was looking at a War-Machine/Fallout T51b style helmet. :pGood idea with the binder clips... I might go do that right now!

As far as electronics, I also plan to use the sunglasses with LEDs method. I've been searching the web for some servo motors for the faceplate, but as of yet I am not even close to implementing either. Maybe use Legos? Or not... :/

One question:

Did you perhaps find it troublesome to fit your head through the neck of the helmet? Or am I the only one... :/

PM me.

Good luck with the armor!

Go Iron Man costumers!

Stonewall said:
One question:

Did you perhaps find it troublesome to fit your head through the neck of the helmet? Or am I the only one... :/

Nope, you are not the only one as mine is like that as well. I'm pretty sure the back part of the helmet needs to be hinged in order to fit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stonewall said:
If I understand your question correctly about the helmet pulling itself apart, no. My helmet doesn't seem to want to self-destruct quite yet. I've found that the supports that go in front of the ear pieces to be somewhat unnecessary, but the other supports are a must. Before I put them in I thought I was looking at a War-Machine/Fallout T51b style helmet. :pGood idea with the binder clips... I might go do that right now!

As far as electronics, I also plan to use the sunglasses with LEDs method. I've been searching the web for some servo motors for the faceplate, but as of yet I am not even close to implementing either. Maybe use Legos? Or not... :/

One question:

PM me.

Good luck with the armor!

That may have been my problem, I just added all the supports without checking if any of them were useful. And I also thought the model looked a little rugged... If you end up doing the binderclips, be careful, in someplaces they have a chance to be damaging and could ruin your model. I barely saved my own.

regarding the sunglasses and LED method, I was wondering if you or anyone else knew a better method, but I'll probably end up going with this one. I think servo motors would be the best but I have NO idea how to set them up to work right. You wouldn't have any idea how to do it would you?

Ok, so apparently that has happened to almost everyone! the odd shape and size does make it difficult but there's a fairly simple fix. After fiberglassing and bondoing, just cut off the back two sections and reconnect them with a hinge and some magnets. That way you just pull it up to fit in your head and it snaps back on when its on. I recommend finding Rebostar's Iron Man WIP, he has already started doing it to his. PLUS I asked the same question and he probably did better at explaining it. I believe all of that is on the third page.

New update! Just finished putting the last coat of resin on the outside of the helmet. Well, a few hours ago, considering it's already dry and almost completely cured. Next I will fiberglass the inside, but to do that I need to remove the clips and supports, and tape the parts on the outside, just for reassurance. Overall it looks like everything went alright. The only things I noticed were the small resin 'glops' that need to be sanded down plus some minor warping in the back near the neck. Hopefully I can fiberglass this weekend, but I'm a tad nervous since I've never done it. I have no idea when I'll bondo though because we STILL haven't bought any yet... comments and criticism welcome, I'd actually love to hear anything y'all think, but hey, it's only resin

P.S. please excuse the low res photos and messy garage... (pictures are from the phone and the garage is SOOO not my fault)

4294995176_33fc525dc9_b.jpg

4294995516_d0ee86ee6e_b.jpg

4294995828_f315a9f041_b.jpg

OH! and I may or may not have figured the motorized helmet deal. I'll post some ideas I've had once I draw up some more -professional- designs and what not

That is looking really nice. So you did the resin with everything together then your cutting the faceplate out once done with the glass? Please do post up your findings on the motorized face lift and anything else your adding, I would love to see how your doing this. Where would I find info on the LED sunglass mod? I'm thinking about starting one of these this weekend if time permits, again great job and thanks for posting up you pics and info. :)

Looks awesome, what thickness cardstock did you use, because I can't believe the weight of the resin didn't make the bottom of the faceplate warp towards the top of the chin piece. Beautiful work though, an the warping at the back is barely noticeable now its been resined, it was slightly more so when it was just built, but then it's not quite as strong, I guess. Keep it up!

Looking sweet there WRising... I'm really loving it! :)

I'm curious as to how you're (and everyone else who's making an Iron Man helmet) going to do the motorized faceplate/helmet. Looking forward to seeing your idea.

Great job Bud!

WRising said:
OH! and I may or may not have figured the motorized helmet deal. I'll post some ideas I've had once I draw up some more -professional- designs and what not

Is it important to be able to both raise and lower the face shield without touching it? I might be stating the obvious here, but an easy low tech solution would be to make the face shield spring loaded. Without thinking it over too much, I don't think it would be that hard to make a release mechanism that releases with the press of a button (perhaps hidden behind the jaw) to make the face shield rise from the spring pressure.

Downside would be having to physically reach up and pull the face shield down to snap it back (which is not that cool perhaps...), but done properly it would still make the opening effect rather awesome.

Oh, and nice progress and stuff. :)

WRising said:
P.S. please excuse the low res photos and messy garage... (pictures are from the phone and the garage is SOOO not my fault)

Messy?, lol you haven't seen my garage.:)

Good to see you getting stuck in on the helmet!.

The first few pieces of glass are the hardest, then you'll wonder why you were so worried.

Keep us posted. :thumbsup

Thanks for the comments everyone! I really appreciate the support. NOTE: I will post the motorized faceplate findings as soon as possible, but they are my own ideas. That means I havent really found anything online and I'm basically guessing in my head.

Finhead said:
That is looking really nice. So you did the resin with everything together then your cutting the faceplate out once done with the glass? Please do post up your findings on the motorized face lift and anything else your adding, I would love to see how your doing this. Where would I find info on the LED sunglass mod? I'm thinking about starting one of these this weekend if time permits, again great job and thanks for posting up you pics and info. :)

Basically, yes. If you take a look up at the top of the thread you'll see I used bulldog/binder clips to hold everything together. I resined over everything to hold it together a little more and I'll take all of them out EXCEPT the ones on the faceplate to fiberglass. when you fibergalss you just go over all the edges except the faceplate, bondo it all together, THEN FINALLY carefully taking an exacto blade and from the inside-out cutting the faceplate off. I know thats how Rebostar did his and it seemed to work well. Ill post some pics and a "mini-tutorial" later this weekend when I can. About the LED and sunglasses mod, I dont know for sure where you can find more on that, I know Timecon posted something about it but other than that... If you (or anyone else) would like me to post info about that let me know.

KrovikanCorvinus said:
Looks awesome, what thickness cardstock did you use, because I can't believe the weight of the resin didn't make the bottom of the faceplate warp towards the top of the chin piece. Beautiful work though, an the warping at the back is barely noticeable now its been resined, it was slightly more so when it was just built, but then it's not quite as strong, I guess. Keep it up!

I used 110lbs cardstock, but in areas that I thought looked weak I reinforced with more cardstock. By cutting out custom pieces for specific areas, I added alot of extra strength that reduced that sort of "sagging."

AceHigh said:
Is it important to be able to both raise and lower the face shield without touching it? I might be stating the obvious here, but an easy low tech solution would be to make the face shield spring loaded. Without thinking it over too much, I don't think it would be that hard to make a release mechanism that releases with the press of a button (perhaps hidden behind the jaw) to make the face shield rise from the spring pressure.

Downside would be having to physically reach up and pull the face shield down to snap it back (which is not that cool perhaps...), but done properly it would still make the opening effect rather awesome.

Oh, and nice progress and stuff. :)

Yes, the idea is to hopefully "open" and "close" the helmet hands free. I've had a few ideas about this which would require servos but it shouldn't be too difficult. Your spring idea is actually something I will touch on when I get to posting all the info.

Rebostar said:
Messy?, lol you haven't seen my garage. :)

Good to see you getting stuck in on the helmet!.

The first few pieces of glass are the hardest, then you'll wonder why you were so worried.

Keep us posted. :thumbsup

Yea, I tried to hide the worst of it... mines a 3 car garage too so its not as bad as it could be...

Thanks for the comment, I actually really wanted you to atleast take a look at it, being because your helmet could be considered godly.

I was thinking that'd be the case, but still nervous about the whole process. I'll get through it one way or another though.

Thanks for the info on the faceplate.:) Any progress on your build? I have my Helmet about 75% glued together now would have been done but the first print was about 75% size, but the new one looks better than I thought it would. :)

I hate to barge into your thread like this (I can't post my own yet) but are you planning on doing the full armor? And if you are (or if you know) what is the most accurate armor to go with? I really want to continue the build but would like the most accurate one I can find, I would gladly pay for the file as I can see how much work this all is now. :) Thanks again.

Finhead said:
Thanks for the info on the faceplate. :) Any progress on your build? I have my Helmet about 75% glued together now would have been done but the first print was about 75% size, but the new one looks better than I thought it would. :)

I hate to barge into your thread like this (I can't post my own yet) but are you planning on doing the full armor? And if you are (or if you know) what is the most accurate armor to go with? I really want to continue the build but would like the most accurate one I can find, I would gladly pay for the file as I can see how much work this all is now. :) Thanks again.

I've unfortunately got no progress to show, but hopefully my parents let me fiberglass this weekend. (I'm grounded) The schematics/blueprints are taking longer to get up than I thought, mainly because I'm being to OCD about them. I hope to see your build, its good to see more people taking a liking to this. I may or may not do the full armor, I'd have full rights over the original set but it'd probably be for a friend too. And, after this helmet, my MK VI build is next. If I do decide to go with a full set, I'd choose the newest files which have a mix of makers, including carnage, clarx industries, supermanextreme1 and others. They aren't quite finished but the quality is AMAZING. Oh, and they're FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back