Yet Another Iron Man Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
First tutorial added! its over lighting the eyes, in the first post. hope everyone likes it. I apologize if its a little wordy, its late and having ADD doesnt help. I may revise it tomorrow. If anyone finds problems or anything feel free to speak up!

I would say use rice/fairy light not led, rice/fairy light will do the same job and will not hurt your eyes like leds do.

rice light/fairy use less power

My link

I posted a topic and c3po maybe we could use the same idea on ironman that way the light could be on all the time

c3po

I hope this helps you guys with the eyes. Its what i plan on doing on my helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
small update finally... Got the helmet fiberglassed. Kind of messy but not bad for my first try, and I'll be taking a router -check that, dremel- to it later to hide the messed up areas. After that, a light sanding will be done and then I'll be applying clay as my chavant clay came the other day. Despite ordering 10 lbs and getting 2. -.-

Not much to show because... It's only fiberglass. btw, crappy webcam pics -> 'cause I'm lazy

4495896024_f19c82ba27_o.jpg

Tried to put some primer on it tonight. Literally got with 15 seconds of spraying and it died. Fail.

4495895884_ba57e8f92d_o.jpg

(I'm in my dining room in my soccer practice clothes, so don't pay attention to the background)

Very Sweet work man.

Always nice to see another Iron man build.

I've had a few thoughts on the helmet hinge, but nothing that looks like it might work. Might just end up collaborating with the local RC/hobby shop dude and actually putting together a RC hinge, if So I'll post schematic's & short tut so everyone can use it.

Again, nice n clean dude. keep at it

thanks for all the comments everyone.

Got a few questions for the mold-ers and cast-ers. I'm thinking about molding this, and I can't decide between rebound or dragonskin. Also should I cut the helmet before or after molding? Lastly, would the trial kit be enough for this mold?

Early thanks for any answers!

WRising said:
thanks for all the comments everyone.

Got a few questions for the mold-ers and cast-ers. I'm thinking about molding this, and I can't decide between rebound or dragonskin. Also should I cut the helmet before or after molding? Lastly, would the trial kit be enough for this mold?

Early thanks for any answers!

I can tell you from my research on this. I'm going a completely different way for molding mind you. :)

You will need 2 trial kits for the helmet Rebound25 is the way to go, you might not use all of it but you wont get away with one. You'll also want to use Thi-Vex to thicken your 2-4th coats, if you don't it's a waist of product any you'll end up putting on 7-8 coats to build.

As for cutting, I'm molding mine in 3 pieces. 1 cause it'll be easier to glass that way. 2 it gives you the mating edges when everything is put back together. I'm guessing your going to roto cast your though so I would think you'll go one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the input guys. I think I've decided to do a 3 part mold, (face, head, neck) in rebound 25 which means I'm cutting it apart before molding. And I have taken into consideration of what needs to be taken care of when doing that, including replace lost material during the cutting process, how the molds should be done, sculpting... yada yada yada. Hope everything works out well.

YEA, UPDATE! Not a big update but it's a good one. Cut apart the helmet into the 3 pieces and started adding the clay. Speaking of clay, emailed chavant, turns out the display price and display weight was mixed up. 2 pounds was for the price we paid, not 10 pounds. They decided to honor that and send us the other 8 free (yay). Anyways, back to the update, started applying clay and did the major amount of smoothing. There's still extra smoothing that needs to be done, and details after that, but here's what I have to show.

Just so you believe me:

4510186938_94efb5e59a_o.jpg

(bad pic quality due to webcam)

my apologies on the double post but I have an urgent question that should be answered asap. But I'll explain why first. I built and glassed my helmet, and as you know started sculpting over the faceplate. I took a look at the ears coverings... and they're not wide enough. there's no quick and easy way to fix it now and I only have 'til May 7th.

So here's my question: for those of you with builds, what was your scale on the helmet and your head height or just general height, I'll figure it out. I need to print the new one as soon as possible so I can get it all finished, so quick answers would be awesome.

I have more questions... but I forgot them...

Can you send me a copy of the helmet file, or a link. I built an Iron Man helmet a year ago using the same pep file, but now I'm going back to fix it (I did it really sloppily at first), and I need to use parts from the pep file, but lost the file. Thanks!

Can you send me a copy of the helmet file, or a link. I built an Iron Man helmet a year ago using the same pep file, but now I'm going back to fix it (I did it really sloppily at first), and I need to use parts from the pep file, but lost the file. Thanks!

You are not allowed to necro a thread that has been dead for a while. Please read the sticky on offences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back